• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help me build this proclimb!

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
back on a cat this year! get a great deal on a 15 and have some money left over for the build. lets start at the front and work my way back! your input is appreciated!

Front bumper: Leaning towards cats bumper, open to suggestions. Must work with a skid plate.

Skis: powder pros, mohawks, or C&A boondocker extremes? what works on these cats?

Steering: going to the HCR post and fixed riser

engine: Narrowed down to these three. BMP 940 complete kit. CPC 950 monster cat or Silber turbo. These three due to local install and installers familiarity with kits. Installer 1st choice was an RKtek 925 but im not sure I want to give up my cylinders....

front end: keeping my 38" stance, buying 16 spindles and Zbroz a arm. seems to be the best route to get 16 geometry with out a shock change. If there is something else im missing let me know. I don't want to be in the front end more than about 600 total...

Running boards: thinking since the accessory catalog appears to have the airframes in it ill go that route, already powder coated to my color. again open to suggestions...

rear bumper?

Open to anything else that makes this cat better without going too crazy! Thanks again for your input!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Front Bumper I just use Cat's proclimb bumper that come on the 16's. Tight fit to the sled, good handles to grab, but will break on a good hit.

Ski's - Polaris Grippers, or the new 16 Cat ski's. The new cat ski's are a little more flexible, so I'd still lean toward the Polaris grippers overall snow conditions.

Steering - agreed HCR post with fixed riser. That's what I run. I don't like the post forward, but some guys on here do. I'm 5' 11" and run a 3" riser on it.

Motor - I don't have any experience with the big bores. I keep my motors stock for the warranty. Still plenty of power even at 11K ft to get the sled to go anywhere I want, especially with a 3" track.

Front end - good choice you have there. Even on the narrow 16's I have my ski stance set up for 37". I don't see a reason to go more narrow than this after riding a 16 setup in a 35" stance.

Running Boards - B&M Skinny boards without a doubt. Then drill out the rivets on the bottom of the panels and push them in to narrow the sled further. Will allow for much steeper side hills.

Rear bumper - I just run stock. Pretty strong IMO. Have towed out many sleds with it.

Can - Titanium Diamond S Quiet Can

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
Front Bumper I just use Cat's proclimb bumper that come on the 16's. Tight fit to the sled, good handles to grab, but will break on a good hit.

Ski's - Polaris Grippers, or the new 16 Cat ski's. The new cat ski's are a little more flexible, so I'd still lean toward the Polaris grippers overall snow conditions.

Steering - agreed HCR post with fixed riser. That's what I run. I don't like the post forward, but some guys on here do. I'm 5' 11" and run a 3" riser on it.

Motor - I don't have any experience with the big bores. I keep my motors stock for the warranty. Still plenty of power even at 11K ft to get the sled to go anywhere I want, especially with a 3" track.

Front end - good choice you have there. Even on the narrow 16's I have my ski stance set up for 37". I don't see a reason to go more narrow than this after riding a 16 setup in a 35" stance.

Running Boards - B&M Skinny boards without a doubt. Then drill out the rivets on the bottom of the panels and push them in to narrow the sled further. Will allow for much steeper side hills.

Rear bumper - I just run stock. Pretty strong IMO. Have towed out many sleds with it.

Can - Titanium Diamond S Quiet Can

I forgot about the grippers, I'll think about those also.
Thanks for the other ideas, especially on narrowing the panels. Exhaust will be from either kit, as will clutching

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
I went with the MM Sports front bumper. Kevin also sells a plastic plate that covers the bottom. I didn't put the skid plate on my 16, just running the front bumper.

I went with the SLP PP's on my 14- sticking with the new 16 skis this year to see how they perform. Should work much better than the old Cat skinny skis. A lot of guys are running the Poo gripper's and heard they work well.

Good idea with the HCR fixed post- I believe it is the same as what they are running on the 16's now.

I have run the Push turbo- which i wasn't a fan of. I would probably go with RK Tech's 925 and Jaws pipe if I were to do a BB.

I am putting the B&M skinny boards on my 16. Should be an awesome addition. See the post from B&M on here for pics of what they are doing. Cheaper than any other board and easier to install from what I have seen with the competition.

The 16 front end should be a killer setup.

I like the Racewerx rear bumper, but there are plenty of options out there too.

Just my $.02. Thanks

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
I went with the MM Sports front bumper. Kevin also sells a plastic plate that covers the bottom. I didn't put the skid plate on my 16, just running the front bumper.

I went with the SLP PP's on my 14- sticking with the new 16 skis this year to see how they perform. Should work much better than the old Cat skinny skis. A lot of guys are running the Poo gripper's and heard they work well.

Good idea with the HCR fixed post- I believe it is the same as what they are running on the 16's now.

I have run the Push turbo- which i wasn't a fan of. I would probably go with RK Tech's 925 and Jaws pipe if I were to do a BB.

I am putting the B&M skinny boards on my 16. Should be an awesome addition. See the post from B&M on here for pics of what they are doing. Cheaper than any other board and easier to install from what I have seen with the competition.

The 16 front end should be a killer setup.

I like the Racewerx rear bumper, but there are plenty of options out there too.

Just my $.02. Thanks

that's 2 recommendations on the boards so far... I better check these out!
ill check out raceworx bumpers also.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
X3 on the B&M skinny boards (only way to go)

Plus Wyo's steering mod (you can order that with the boards)

Front bumper - Cat (one that comes on the 16 LTDs) or MM sports (have this one on my 14 and really like it).

3" track

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
IMO

I have a 13 limited

these are the mods I've done and the order id buy them if i were to do it over again

1) 156 X3 from camoplast and bomber rails
2) a close second is the TKI belt drive with 2.33 gearing
3) 911 primary cover from thunder shift and a Hercules helix
4) trail tank
5) fixed steering, its nice but the post is weak, i bent mine in one ride after a few roll overs. cut the next one in half and put a tube in it.
6) headlight delete and air box mods are good for about 10 lbs

I run C/A bx's they are better than stock but I wouldn't buy them again. prefer the grippers

I don't understand the need for an aftermarket rear bumper, they're all going to be heavier than the stock one and what do you gain? I went with the 38"z bros kit as well hopefully that improves the ski's and handling some.

What altitude do you typically ride? that would be the deciding factor for me between big bore or boost

Last edited:
B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
IMO

I have a 13 limited

these are the mods I've done and the order id buy them if i were to do it over again

1) 156 X3 from camoplast and bomber rails
2) a close second is the TKI belt drive with 2.33 gearing
3) 911 primary cover from thunder shift and a Hercules helix
4) trail tank
5) fixed steering, its nice but the post is weak, i bent mine in one ride after a few roll overs. cut the next one in half and put a tube in it.
6) headlight delete and air box mods are good for about 10 lbs

I run C/A bx's they are better than stock but I wouldn't buy them again. prefer the grippers

I don't understand the need for an aftermarket rear bumper, they're all going to be heavier than the stock one and what do you gain? I went with the 38"z bros kit as well hopefully that improves the ski's and handling some.

What altitude do you typically ride? that would be the deciding factor for me between big bore or boost

I forgot I'm doing the TKI also. 6 to 10k feet. I like tree riding tho, so the bottom end gains with the big bore were enticing. What about the C&A do you like less than the grippers?

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I would do the bikeman 940. Tki belt drive and the z broz front end.
Plus what every one else said.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I forgot I'm doing the TKI also. 6 to 10k feet. I like tree riding tho, so the bottom end gains with the big bore were enticing. What about the C&A do you like less than the grippers?

my buddy has grippers on his proclimb and i prefer them in every situation except for racing hill climbs. the BX's don't push in the corners as bad as the grippers. In any untracked snow i feel the grippers outperform the BX's, are cheaper, and lighter

have you checked out the supercharger? they are impressive

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
my buddy has grippers on his proclimb and i prefer them in every situation except for racing hill climbs. the BX's don't push in the corners as bad as the grippers. In any untracked snow i feel the grippers outperform the BX's, are cheaper, and lighter

have you checked out the supercharger? they are impressive

I have checked out the supercharger... get your wallet out

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You will be very happy with either the RKT 925 or the bikeman 940. They make a ton of power and are very reliable. With a 3" it'll be the most fun sled you can ride.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Guys might want to check your piston size on the 940, just saying.. Its actually more like a 925. All in the marketing I guess.. I have been told this by multiple people.. Also my 920 Dakota motor has a lot more porting than my 900 bikeman did.. 900 bikeman looked more like a punched out 800 with a Renic and some new pistons.. the 920 is a 91.5 piston which I think a lot of other builders use and call a 925 or there abouts. Be nice to compare though this winter. Heard cutler has a new cylinder as well. Nice that cat has so many options

Last edited:
B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
Guys might want to check your piston size on the 940, just saying.. Its actually more like a 925. All in the marketing I guess.. I have been told this by multiple people.. Also my 920 Dakota motor has a lot more porting than my 900 bikeman did.. 900 bikeman looked more like a punched out 800 with a Renic and some new pistons.. the 920 is a 91.5 piston which I think a lot of other builders use and call a 925 or there abouts. Be nice to compare though this winter. Heard cutler has a new cylinder as well. Nice that cat has so many options
Cutler is using a 92.58 piston size. I really want to pull the trigger on this kit, just not sure yet. Silber kit will be quite a cheaper.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I agree aftermarket cylinders have the bigger piston. Friend of mine runs one. Its a tight fit to clear crank. I know a few guys who have had issues there. I have heard good things about the new cylinders.. There just not available yet

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
I agree aftermarket cylinders have the bigger piston. Friend of mine runs one. Its a tight fit to clear crank. I know a few guys who have had issues there. I have heard good things about the new cylinders.. There just not available yet
I better call tomorrow. If the cylinders aren't available yet it will help make my mind up. At that point it will be between RK tek 925 or silber turbo. Still waiting on the cost of the BMP kit, but I didn't realize it was a cylinder exchange, or the kit goes up to 5k retail. That was my main selling point vs the rk tek kit was that I got to keep my cylinders. Good chance the sled will be returned to stock once I build another.

Premium Features