• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wiring diagram

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for an 05' M7?

Or could anybody help me with some wiring issues? On my sled, I have aftermarket handlebars and I re wired the hand and thumb warmers to always be on. They worked for a long while, but stopped working awhile back.

Anything to look for?

M
Nov 26, 2007
you could see if the grips are bad. check the resistance of each grip to see if they are shorted. Unhook them from the sled wiring, and hook up a multimeter. While testing the resistance, slightly twist the grip. If the grips are loose the twisting while riding while break the small wires in the grips.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for an 05' M7?

Or could anybody help me with some wiring issues? On my sled, I have aftermarket handlebars and I re wired the hand and thumb warmers to always be on. They worked for a long while, but stopped working awhile back.

Anything to look for?

I'm assuming you lost all of the heaters??

If so I would suspect a common wire issue. You can look at your yellow and brown circuit. Are your headlights on if so your stator is making voltage and the regulator is probably doing OK too. I would then look for an open wire(brown or yellow) feeding the three heaters. It would be a huge coincidence if the three heaters all went bad (opened up) at the same time.

You can disconnect as mentioned above and check for continuity through the heaters. If any one of the heaters was shorted(aprox 0 -.5 ohms), your headlights would be dim and none of the other heaters would work and eventually the stator would burn up.

My money is on a connection that is common with all three heaters.

good luck

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
yes, all 3 are not working, yet the headlights are not dim. I will just have to start looking around.

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
should the brown be grounded when the sled is off and hot when running?

The brown is grounded all the time. It's kinda like the negative side of a battery that is grounded to the frame in a car.

The biggest difference in your M7 is: nothing else is grounded to chassis. The handlebars, engine, steering post have no clean ground to chassis, so it's not good to use ground to get power for accessories. Always use a separate wire to connect the brown circuit to one side of the heaters.

Since your headlights are lit up nicely, that is a good sign and your problem is prolly just a connection issue. That is assuming you checked continuity through each of the heaters, and they are good???

PM me with your email and I can send you a diagram if you would like.

K
Nov 27, 2007
wiring

The two elements in the handwarmers should be 14ohms and 8ohms and should separate,did you wire them together having both elements on at the same time?

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Yes, they were wired together so that they would always be on high, with out a switch. Headlight is wired to always be on high as well. It has been like this for the past 2 season, so I am sure if the stator was going out, it would have done it by now.

Thanks

K
Nov 27, 2007
I think the switch turns on one element at a time high or low not both at the same time, not sure if it could have burnt something out after a long period of time.

Premium Features