• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Toll Set Advice???

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
I think it's time for me to buy some more tools. The set i've been using was given to me 10 years ago and really doesn't have the pieces needed to work on a sled comfortably. I'll take my existing set and put in the truck for emergency use. I've been using somebody else's tools (Rotax) lately.

I mainly need a good socket set. Any advice? seems like Sears has some great sets pretty cheap. Looking to stay within a few hundred bucks. Harbor freight.

Edit: Tool Set not Toll Set...haha

Last edited:

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Can't go wrong with Craftsman. Good quality and easy to replace if broken. Snap-on and Matco are great as well. More expensive and harder to get warrantied. Stay away from Husky and Kobalt at HD and Lowes. They have become mostly Harbor Freight quality.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Craftsman! I have broken them all and the others(snap on etc.) are just more expensive !

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
For my sled I use the cheap (Harbor Freight/yard sale) crap. I'm more likely to lose/lend out and never see again the ones on the sled than break them. If I was going to go with the higher quality I'd go with Craftsman.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Purchased the craftmans socket set years ago, I think it was the one with a couple hundred piece. Only broke the 9/16 deepwell socket so far (imagine that), sears replaced no questions asked. For the $$$ they can't be beat. Do yourself a favor buy the wrenches with the ratcheting box end, those things are a big time saver.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
craftsman

they have a 150 piece kit for 125. Some socket allen wrenches and you are set.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Kapowsin, WA
One more vote for Craftsman. We outfitted our complete shop with craftsman, 3 race cars plus the hauler. Never had an issue of quality. I think one ratchet went bad and it was replaced no questions asked. With a crew of 10 - 15 guys using the tools 7 days a week, that's not bad considering the price.
I don't want to step on anybody's toes but avoid HarborFrieght type if you can.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Harbor Freight has it's place, thats usually where i go to get wrenches and sockets i will be cutting and bending when i have to make a special tool, but i wouldn't out fit my whole shop with it. also these are the wrenches i'll put in the cab of the tractor or truck because other people seem to "plant" them a lot of the time. Still waiting for them to grow though.:rolleyes:

craftsman is a great set for just about everything, I have basically three brands in my box Snap-on, matco and craftsman. If your not usuing them all the time, there's really no need to spend the stupid amounts of money on the first 2.

T
Jan 8, 2008
www.team2powersports.com
another vote for craftsman...They will replace your tool just like snap on so why pay the extra cash...Plus like others have said, what about when you lend out a tool and you do not see it again? Nothing more frustrating than that when it comes to tools.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if you got a sears near you craftsman is the way to go, broken a few 9/16 sockets, but we were running them on impact wrenchs a few hours a day straight for a couple months building a log home. warranty is no questions asked, so its easy to get a new one.

if you dont have a local sears, kobalt from lowes is OK, i have a set, nothing impressive, but the warranty is great as well, so if it craps out, you can get a new one, they are nice for in the truck and on the go tools, that you risk loosing.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
wow.... yeap, I have a craftsman as well. Just like the rest of snowest, apparently.

It's done me well so far. There are some parts and pieces I had to buy that wasn't in the kit (Security torx set, a few bigger torx drivers for truck/etc).

Dunno about harbor freight.... if it's a tool you use so rarely it doesn't warrant spending $$$ on it from a big name store, that's the place to go. I got a circular saw from there for ~$20... and it's definately a $20 saw. But for how often I use it, I couldn't justify paying $200 for a craftsman.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
Another vote for Craftsman. I have a 256 piece set from years ago and havent broken anything yet. Make sure to get a set with a complete lineup of deep sockets. Youre better off buying a set of wrenches seperately.

Premium Features