• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Disappointed Polaris Rider

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Marketing is key any businesses success. But the hype that they portrayed was for basic additional options. The new 3x track was a must to add to there sleds, Cat, Yammy and the T3 already there.
But who in Polaris made the decision to not offer an optional Long track 3"? You or anybody that thinks the axis 163" will climb with the 174" t-3 is sadly mistaken. Not only in the steep and deep, but in the technical tree riding as well.
They needed to offer a 3 incher in any length between 168-172. So we can compete with any of the T-3/Doo's. They are the Rocky Mountain king for 15 and 16 (DOO that is).
The new axis is going to be an awesome sled but for the chutes and aggressive technical tree riding the T-3/174 is the Rocky Mountain King.
Mind you I ride a BD turboed Pro 800 sled that I love to ride and rips. But when me a my brother swap sleds onto his T-3/174 I don't want to give it back.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Marketing is key any businesses success. But the hype that they portrayed was for basic additional options. The new 3x track was a must to add to there sleds, Cat, Yammy and the T3 already there.
But who in Polaris made the decision to not offer an optional Long track 3"? You or anybody that thinks the axis 163" will climb with the 174" t-3 is sadly mistaken. Not only in the steep and deep, but in the technical tree riding as well.
They needed to offer a 3 incher in any length between 168-172. So we can compete with any of the T-3/Doo's. They are the Rocky Mountain king for 15 and 16 (DOO that is).
The new axis is going to be an awesome sled but for the chutes and aggressive technical tree riding the T-3/174 is the Rocky Mountain King.
Mind you I ride a BD turboed Pro 800 sled that I love to ride and rips. But when me a my brother swap sleds onto his T-3/174 I don't want to give it back.

Buy a 174 and put it on.
Easy enough.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Polaris marketing has figured out one thing for sure... Demand. And for a 174", its simply not there. Doo had to go that route to get sales, to offset the 150-160" market they couldnt compete in. They had to bring what others werent.

Get a 163 and stretch it like said above.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Like posted above the demand for a 174 is very small, the want of the 3 inch track not much greater, a lot of internet hype. As far as the 174 being the king of tight technical tree riding, well that is just hilarious:)

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Have fun on your T3 Ghost Rider :) Lets get real here, as fun as it is to get into a nice chute sometimes, the majority of people dont ride that terrain, and the ones that do have crazy built turbos with aftermarket skids anyways. The market just isnt that big. And go look at a pro... What did they design those sleds for? TREES. Theres a reason every brand has a different chassis and different components and well, a different sled, EVERYBODY likes different things and they cant please everyone, which is why theres other brands out there that can take those couple customers. The market just isnt there for a 174" track on a PRO RMK chassis.

And on the technical tree riding... Like said above already, thats a good joke thinking a 174 can hang with a 155 or a 163 in the TIGHT trees

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have a T3 174 and it is an awesome sled. I can't believe a 3 inch 163 pro would climb with it but who knows. If the new Pro gets up and on the snow twice as fast as the old Pro it might be game on. If the pro is close it is a win for poo because it is in a shorter package. Doo chassis has some serious drag in deep snow. Granted the 174 works great anyway but it really hurts the shorter ones.We will know next year how much difference that makes. I already know that it makes a big difference because I have air locs. That is with just the boards. I can't wait to see with the whole chassis. I don't want to ride a 174 all year. It is the challenge for me. The 174 is like cheating. You can't get it stuck. I got it for my wife. It is obvious they are going in two different directions. I like where polaris is going. Doo has to put the t motion, flex edge, 36 front end, and 174 because of their chassis downfalls but it all works really well. The other factor in the mix is the new motor. If it is as good as they say and the sled gets on the snow as fast as they say, I don't know how you can be disappointed. Everyone has been wanting more power and now we are going to get it. I think you are jumping the gun. If you are that disappointed buy a T3 174. I assure you that they are a great sled.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Goodbye Ghost Rider, nice to have known you, and bought parts from you. Enjoy the Elementary school playground equipped School bus. If you really think it is a more capable / fun sled.

Feel free to stop in and visit your friends in the Polaris section once in a while.:wave:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
If I wanted a point and shoot sled, I would buy a viper and throw a turbo on it. I have more fun playing in the trees and being able to throw the sled around. That's why I ride a polaris, that's the direction they are heading. I think they doo is the ultimate compensator. Just stick a bigger track on it with taller lugs! It'll go!

That's just my opinion. If you want one, go ride buy one. It really doesn't make a **** bit of difference to me.

Another rant on my opinion of doo. Those things have to be the fugliest thing around. Not just the colors but that whole front end just looks....goofy to me. Looks plastic and chintzy. That goes for basically all BRP products. Again just my opinion

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
The replies on this thread speak volumes for the number of people that would actually buy a 174" track. I bet the majority of sled sales are the 155" track. 65%?

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Everyone above ^^ has covered it, ski doo is a terrible design for technical tree riding and boondocking! I also agree that major percentage of market goes with 155" track lengths. While on that note I have ridden a 174" T3 ski doo and a Pro with 174", I own a Pro 163" and I just snow checked a 155"! After my experiences with the longer 174/163 tracks this year I can not wait to get back on a 155"! They just transfer better, easier to pull off re entry manuevers and are easier to whip in the trees.
Wish you ski doo guys would just come out of the closet and admit the Pro is better then your handicap ski doo, it's ok I won't judge you, I used to be a scared ski doo owner then I rode a Pro Rmk and never looked back!
PS: no motor issues in over 5 years...

Last edited:
S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Wait, what????? NO ENGINE ISSUES????? Can't be....if you go to the other OEM sections that's the ONLY thing they flap their yap about, the "unreliable" 800 engine.......

LMAO

Not ONE motor issue, oh and if we want to get technical my other riding buddies (6 total) have not had a pro 800 go down in 5 years, that's alot of logged backcountry miles!
PS again: I feel the new Axys motor will be one of the best motors ever, alot of good changes in that motor.. So excited for my new sled!
Everytime I see this pic on facebook the "Likes" compared to comments are 66% more likes for polaris then comments for ski doo! Haha... it also shows how great the geometry is for the axys compared to the wheelchair of ski doo.

FB_IMG_1425443648377.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
A 2.6" or 3" 163 Pro, with less snow drag and more HP, will be SO much more sled than most riders can exploit, it's not even funny.

That said, Doo has gone with the "bigger is better" approach - with the 16" wide tracks and 174" option. When the Pro came out, Polaris took the "minimalist" approach, and has expanded on that with the Axys. It really depends what school of thought you buy in to - it's nice to have options :)

That said, if you really want a 174" Polaris, it won't be a particularly difficult mod, nor even overly expensive. I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers for the new skid components and/or 163-3" track....so by the time you back out the cost of selling the stock stuff, won't be bad at all IMO.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Not ONE motor issue, oh and if we want to get technical my other riding buddies (6 total) have not had a pro 800 go down in 5 years, that's alot of logged backcountry miles!
PS again: I feel the new Axys motor will be one of the best motors ever, alot of good changes in that motor.. So excited for my new sled!
Everytime I see this pic on facebook the "Likes" compared to comments are 66% more likes for polaris then comments for ski doo! Haha... it also shows how great the geometry is for the axys compared to the wheelchair of ski doo.

I couldn't agree more. I think the lighter crank will take less stress of bearings as well as increasing performance. One of the biggest reasons poo has the bad rep (I believe) could be traced back to improper warm up by owners as well as leaning out on oil usage. A bypass to decrease warm up times and an electronic oil pump with 3d mapping is their answer.

I just hope I'm not blindly trusting in this engine, but what they have done makes sense to me.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Also, I should add for those who are whining that the track isn't long enough.

Go over to the poll where people are voting for 2.6 vs 3". Its 80% 2.6" orders. I don't think that poo riders WANT that much track. I think it takes away from what the pro does best, and that's why you see people opting for the 2.6

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
A lot of decisions are based on the latest snow year conditions I think. I've heard more people saying they may go back to a 155 than I've heard in a long time. For me they've maxed out. I'm a little partial to doo's but I wouldn't have a 174 t3 or any 3".A 2.5 is plenty of track and so is a 155 although I'd consider a 163. I'm thinking the new axis 155 with the added power and lightweight chassis would be a pretty fun sled.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
The lighter crank will feel more like a 600 I think only with more pull through rpm's, and any of you that have rode a pro 600 know what I'm talking about! They are alot of fun : )

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You or anybody that thinks the axis 163" will climb with the 174" t-3 is sadly mistaken. Not only in the steep and deep, but in the technical tree riding as well.

Did Ski-Doo tell you this? Your reasoning leds me to believe that we should have a 198" track to be the best steep and deep and tree riding. Bigger is better right?

Premium Features