• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti bottom belt sprocket keeps falling off

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Has anyone else had this happen? This is twice now for me. First time ruined my belt and half the internal teeth on the lower sprocket that the belt is on

That screw, which should probably be reverse thread, comes loose, then the cover which houses the belt seems to bend away from the track which causes it to slide that lower sprocket off the shaft.

What could the fix for this be besides red loctite on the bolt and keep a closer eye on it?

When it first happened.... I had 3/8” less of shaft to work with since that lower case was bent outwards from something. The lower sprocket bolt only bit by one thread, thankfully, and I was able to force the gear back onto the splines AND make those splines protrude the proper amount so the gear would sit flush on it.

See on this shaft how there’s maybe, let’s say in inch of shaft between that snow on the top of the shaft and the bearing holder? Well when I came to a grinding stop, that shaft in the picture actually had a 1/2” or more length to it as that black casing that houses the belt and sprockets was bent AWAY from the track on the bottom half causing it to want to slide/force that lower sprocket off its splines shaft. This pic was after I fixed it

Last edited:
C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
youre telling me. and IF I were to of shredded this belt, like it did last time that lower cog fell off, I would have a hell of a time finding a new one. shouldnt be like that.

heres a screenshot I got from my helmet cam that helps show what I mean... look at how much shaft I have protruding... not nearly enough. the reason is because the bottom of that casing is "bent"/wedged outwards.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Do you see any scaring on the shaft where it should sit normally in the bearing? Only thing I can think of is that bearing may be shot and while binding it is actually walking that side of the tunnel out. Odd case for sure. With all of the fuss you have had with this kit and you are likely not going to get any help from Camso I believe it would be worthwhile to drop the machine off with the boys at C3 for a look over. Yeti has some issues but most of them are fairly known and common. This is a weird one to me.

P.S. Don't go into the backcountry without a spare belt... C'mon! I know Camso is a mess but lots of dealers with 28mm on the shelf. Don't let their disorganization cause you a struggle pulling that thing out. Stop beating that dead horse.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
no. the shaft seems fine and so does the bearing. I dont know what would be causing that to keep popping that bottom sprocket off.

I suppose if I could get that bolt to stay tight, I wouldnt initially ever have a problem. but the bolt rattles out, then allows that case to move away from the track, and slide that bottom cog off the shaft. weird. loctite it is!

and yes, its my fault on the belt. ive been slacking. just frustrating when ive already ordered and paid for one thats still 5 weeks out. guess ill buy another on monday while waiting for the first one.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
no. the shaft seems fine and so does the bearing. I dont know what would be causing that to keep popping that bottom sprocket off.

I suppose if I could get that bolt to stay tight, I wouldnt initially ever have a problem. but the bolt rattles out, then allows that case to move away from the track, and slide that bottom cog off the shaft. weird. loctite it is!

and yes, its my fault on the belt. ive been slacking. just frustrating when ive already ordered and paid for one thats still 5 weeks out. guess ill buy another on monday while waiting for the first one.

coat the shaft in bearing retainer then bolt on, It glues the gear to the shaft , To remove you simple heat with torch and it can be removed, This also take s the backlash out of the splines

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Dude, something is off. Bent driveshaft, or driver got shifted do to impact and your getting excessive vibration from it.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Went out again yesterday and it ran fine all day. Rode it hard

Seems to only do it once every 6 or 7 rides and that’s probably because I don’t look at it often enough. Going out again today. Day 4 in a row otherwise I’d take a look at it. Maybe tomorrow I won’t ride. Something isn’t right though. It happened right at the end of a monster climb. I stopped. Then took off and within 15’ she had popped off

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Anytime ewe have aluminum splines the gear will wallo out the teeth, Always install with bearing retainer to make it solid, This is why CMX does not use splines and the gear bolts solid to axle.The on- off throttle rocks the gear and loosens the bolt.

Last edited:
C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
My god I just cant catch a break with this thing. Deepest conditions all year. On a hill I’ve ridden lots and I hit a rock SO hard with my skid/belt drive assembly that it made the bike front flip.

That lower gear is broken now. again. It literally lasted me two rides.the cover is broke too along with all the pins that hold the cover on. Seriously?!!!

Limped it oit with no cover in. Belt popped off after 5 miles. Had to get towed out.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
https://desk.zoho.com/portal/yetisnowmx/kb/articles/how-does-snow-get-into-my-belt-drive

so upon reading here they "are in the middle of a tweak of the deflector ( the black plastic part of the belt drive) and we will be updating those for customers who request them at no charge."

im pretty sure thats the piece I just broke.... wonder if I have the updated one or not.

how bad is snow for the belt?? is it absolutely imperative that it stays dry and snow free in that setup? I know mine sure didnt last long with no cover... belt somehow popped off real quick.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
oh man im hard on this thing. I swear every new part I put on, gets destroyed the next day on this thing. I literally get 1 ride out of my new parts before theyre smashed to chit again. why??? I was just minding my own business on this one too. my leg hit the bar and charlie horsed me so hard I went into shock twice last night from the pain, went to the hospital this morning at with what felt like a broken femur. ended up just a bad deep bruise and killed muscle. could be hard on my kidneys down the road. ouch.

it starts at 0:10 https://youtu.be/Cxn9DA7evfg?t=10s

the bike isnt looking too pretty either...

if anyone wants any custom cover sealing work done... let me know. I had to fix this and make something work for a hot sled date tomorrow :eyebrows:

s.e.xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
juneau ak
I use Loctite 660 on my pro with the tki aluminum gears. it is made for gears then just blue Loctite on the bolt. I ran into similar problems with that belt drive and the aluminum gear and this solved that issue. might work on the yeti kit.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Yup. That's pretty much what happened except my foot didn’t hit a rock. The rear end did and front flipped the bike from me hitting the bars so hard. Had to to get re x rayed. They thought it could have been a hairline fracture on my femur but it’s not.

Bike still runs great. Even with the taped cover

Premium Features