• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tunnel rivets?

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
are the rivets that hold the tunnel extension on a kingcat special rivets or can normal rivets be used?the stock ones look like a pressed rivet with no nail hole in them

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You want to use aluminum rivets.

The stainless steel rivets you mention are tough to grind out and you need a air powered rivet hammer with anvil to make one.

Plus some steel rivets hava an additive for corrosion which will corrode aluminum.

If you are unsure of the rivet get ones approved by NASCAR.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
the rivets they use from factory are solid rivets. They are the best to install.
The pop rivet type do not hold even half what the solid rivet holds.
I have built many tunnels and use aircraft grade solid rivets. They work great and never have corrosion.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Rivits

You can get aircraft rivits at most airports, find a shop or air craft repair and they will have them by the thousands. You also will need a air hammer with a rivit set and a anvil to hold on the inside. Dave E

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
When i put on my fabcraft tunnel i ordered the air hammer tool right from fabcraft and just used a big hammer on the other side worked for me. Fabcraft could hook you up with the rivets and the tool if you don't have an aircarft repair place around were you live.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I bought the solid alum aircraft rivets , braizier head?, online a few years ago. Bought a whole pile of them, different lengths (you want 1/8" to 3/16" longer than the materials you're going thru) and a set tool for an air chisel pretty cheap. $30 air chisel and you're set.
Get 3/16" dia for most work. I've put a couple tunnels on w/ 3/16 rivets and it worked great. I have 1/4" rivets now and they work fine, but a little big (the head especially) for some apps.

Try this:
http://www.rivet.com/?gclid=CN-n9ODh7ZYCFQEuxwodEHo9sA

Premium Features