• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backwood BMP Rear Bumper Install

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
8167E510-BAA3-4EB8-B89E-F76C376A5816.jpegD6A8DF38-DE13-4156-B72E-9DD19DD7803D.jpeg
Cleaned my bumper off today.

Reentry bail.
Straight up in the air came down on a rock outcropping (exposed by the track on the way up)

Guess it’s tunnel cut time.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
T
Oct 16, 2017
Caleb jumped on my buddies sled and buckled his tunnel in 1 move. I think that bumper has something wrong with it. Bad geometry or something ??‍♂️
Only thing I can guess is maybe the raised handle portion puts additional strain on everything if impact is like smf’s. Vs a handle straight/in line with the tunnel.

That said it looks like it kept the rest of the tunnel straight and likely dissipated energy from the rest of the sled

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Only thing I can guess is maybe the raised handle portion puts additional strain on everything if impact is like smf’s. Vs a handle straight/in line with the tunnel.

That said it looks like it kept the rest of the tunnel straight and likely dissipated energy from the rest of the sled
That's what I am thinking. The geometry of the bumper makes its weak on "opening up" towards the sky. Which basically bends the sides of the tunnel out.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I cleaned a b&m fab bumper off my 2016 axys the same way.

Anything short of 1 1/2” DOM tubing both sides run forward to the bulkhead would have crumpled.

Definitely not going to be doing that though.

T
Oct 16, 2017
I cleaned a b&m fab bumper off my 2016 axys the same way.

Anything short of 1 1/2” DOM tubing both sides run forward to the bulkhead would have crumpled.

Definitely not going to be doing that though.

Yeah given the weight and type of hit I can’t imagine much standing up. At some point you’re just shifting the break somewhere else

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
Had to improvise a little to get mine installed unfortunately. Removed factory bumper and went to install BMP. All original bumper holes lined up perfectly, however holes in tunnel were too big, and Rivets wouldn't hold. Tried larger rivets but they were too long and worried track would rub. Ended up buying stainless and black button head bolts to use in those 6 holes on each side. Also 3rd hole from rear seemed to high and big gap with taper of tunnel so didn't drill that one. Not perfect but It works. Hopefully snow is bumper deep and will never see it!:LOL:

bumper.jpg

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
Had to improvise a little to get mine installed unfortunately. Removed factory bumper and went to install BMP. All original bumper holes lined up perfectly, however holes in tunnel were too big, and Rivets wouldn't hold. Tried larger rivets but they were too long and worried track would rub. Ended up buying stainless and black button head bolts to use in those 6 holes on each side. Also 3rd hole from rear seemed to high and big gap with taper of tunnel so didn't drill that one. Not perfect but It works. Hopefully snow is bumper deep and will never see it!:LOL:

Pretty sure that hole you didn't put a rivet in isn't supposed to be drilled through the tunnel. Just put a rivet through the 2 pieces to clamp them together. I also used stainless washers as backers for all the rivets.

I should say that in the end me and BMP worked together to come up with a solution to my fitment issue. Got the bumper on and am happy with how everything worked out and the end product. Would definitely buy another one. Customer service was great.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Just installed the BMP front and rear on my wife's sled and had to improvise a bit as well. The provided rivets weren't long enough so I used some longer ones and added small washers. A few of the handle holes didn't line up well with the holes in the side plates, they took some convincing. The bends of the handle didnt quite match up with the bend on the side pieces and tunnel. Couple of the tunnel holes didn't line up well either. Front was better but I had to fight it a little bit to line it up, also the hood latch pieces they provide are very "rough l" and the quarter turn latches are pretty tough to turn now. Might try shaving them down a little with a Dremel.

The next day I installed the B&M Fabrications bumpers on my own sled and it went much better, everything lined up well and went on smooth

Premium Features