• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000/2001 700/800 RMK

Alright, so here's the deal. For my senior project, I've decided that I want to switch my '99 700 RMK motor over to a 2001 800 RMK chassis. We've figured out everything that we need done, but I would really like to get this into the best mountain sled a 17 y/o can afford. I'm a bit low on cash, but was just looking for everybody's two cents for this. I'm a bit inexperienced but have four very mechanically experienced family members. I'm just wondering what everybody would suggest I do to make this sled as dope as possible. Thanks in advance.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Project

99 and 01 chassis are pretty much the same. 01 has tucked in trailing arms is all but the bulkhead and hood are the same. You may need to move the exhaust exit hole in the belly pan on the 01 as well as use the 99 bracket for the can. Pretty much a bolt in deal. If you went to an edge chassis it would be a little more work but not much.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Like BB said they are essentially the same chassis. Is the 99 chassis beat up? Swapping the motor to the 01, is not really going to gain you much. I can swap a motor in 2-3 hours. How many hours do you need for your credit? What resources are available to you? What does your project have to reflect? IE; creativity, use of resources and time, welding, machining, etc...

It's a pretty clean chassis, just decided to switch to the 2001 because of the new HRP suspension and new track on it(151" goldfinger.) I really like the pull of the 700 twin and figured it would be a good match. I've basically got an entire mechanics shop to work with. I have to have it work with Academic and Careers(mechanical schooling basically) and am not sure on exact hours. Just wanted to get an early start for next winter since the old man this year has been pretty stingy with the snow. Thanks BB454. I'm really considering making/buying an aftermarket can, that stock muffler is a suitcase! Would really like some cheap bolt-ons without costing too much. Also, what would be the best ski stance for freeriding? I basically climb and jump everything I can, very aggresive riding. The current stance is quite big which concerns me as far as flickability goes. Any thoughts?

R
Oct 15, 2011
washington
well i will add my 2 cents, i am like you i dont have alot of money, but search craigslist for stuff, you can always get a decint parts for fractions of the price, even ebay, i have gotten a few parts from guys on here for reasonable, for a can i had an SLP that was huge and ugly, i got a harley can, they are loud but sound awesome and its a 1/4 the size and had ti add some pipe to it to get the length so it was two welds, no big deal, also just clean up ypur sled and paint and make it yours, customize it to fit you, thats what this snowmobiling is all about, having fun and making your sled your OWN!! have fun

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
OR, you could buy mine, take it home and disassemble it. Then you could take it to school and reassemble.

You'd know it inside and out twice before you ever rode it. :)

It works! Firstly, it's pretty empty.... lol. I really like the way the back bumper is sitting, I just don't know if that's going to affect the durability of it. Anybody know where I could get a sweet snowflap?

Premium Features