• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newbie with a 2001 RMK 800

C
Dec 17, 2019
Hello everyone.
I'm new here and new to sledding all together. I live in Oregon and just so happen to have a snopark 2 miles from where I'm living. I acquired a 2001 RMK 800 in a trade. I haven't gotten to messing with the sled yet, but I figured I would start here.

The guy I got the sled from says it runs fine but needs the clutch springs redone. Like I said I'm brand new to this. I am a little mechanically inclined, but I don't know much about clutching. I've been reading a ton. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a stock setup and what I need to do? Is there a tool I'll need to buy to get the work done?

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
If it's just a spring, you can find the clutch setup guides online that will help you determine the correct spring based on altitude, year, make, model. More than likely though you'll need the entire clutch rebuild or a new clutch. You'll want to check for play in the weight bushings, and main clutch bushing, check for wear on the sheave faces, and general freedom of movement to determine the condition. You don't need special tools just to swap the spring but about$300 in tools if you want to rebuild it yourself and another $150 in parts. Usually money ahead just to buy new. You can send it out to a clutch rebuilder and have it done for $150-300 or so. You'll need a good clutch puller, don't skimp on that one.

C
Dec 17, 2019
Hmm. After watching a bunch of videos, I might just buy new or have someone else rebuild. Will I need both the primary and secondary rebuilt? Or most likely just the primary?

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Secondary usually just needs cleaning and a new spring. I would pull it apart, clean it and replace the spring if it appears worn. Spring is usually color coded for reference in ordering.

C
Dec 17, 2019
Thank you for your replies. And my apologies for so many questions.
Do I need to buy any tools to clean and swap the spring on the secondary?

I can replace the primarys spring without pulling the clutch, correct?

J
Dec 19, 2019
I also hail from Oregon and also just picked up a 2001 rmk 800. I believe you'll need a clutch puller at a minimum to swap the clutch, they are less than $20 on amazon.
4956267843f0ab33a00bb432ec2a1bc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Premium Features