• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part IV ... Belt drive pics!!!... 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING FEBRUARY 10th, 2012 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
CONTINUED FROM PART II CLICK HERE http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300309

Gotta love a comprehensive package of upgrades... To me... it seems that Polaris has been listening to what we want in a sled and what seems to be the "standard" aftermarket upgrades... pretty cool package so far.

I'm told theres more to come before the Friday Roll out!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

xpicture.php,qalbumid=2762,apictureid=25527.pagespeed.ic.lUp4gsCojj.jpg

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I knew they wouldnt put the rotor on bottom. They would have to protect it if they did. Mistake IMO. time will tell. I like the rest so far .

W

WesG

Nov 26, 2007
Chetwynd, BC
Still needs

Real extroverts and more tunnel Clearance. If they get those along with the belt drive I'm in. They don't even have to get me any more power(not that i would say no) if they get those two.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
best new upgrade?

So if they keep revealing one new thing at a time and hopefully saving the best for last does anybody think it will be an engine upgrade? 10 - 12 HP more to catch up to the other guys? how much would that pump this thing up? The dealers better get their 2012's out the door NOW!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
So far they have left a fair amount on the table for the aftermarket to play with chassis wise.

Lightweight swaged aluminum tie rods
Swaged aluminum pieces with aluminum hiem joints to replace the steel portion of the lower a-arms.
Aluminum-Ceramic brake disc and pads.
Belt and sprocket upgrade depending on what they spec'd.
Driveshaft mounted brake kit.
I would like to see someone develop a clutch less drive system and be able to lose another twenty pounds without losing any performance. I'm working on one but it is still a few years out.
I would like to see them utilize aluminum-ceramic composites more ( lighter than aluminum and stiffer than chromoly! And weldable! For those that are gunshy about the CF's durability).
Of course you have your standard engine and suspension upgrades also.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i got a carbon v10 this last summer; stiffest bike i've owned in 8 years of competative DH racing, oh and lightest.

of course it was also the most expensive!

i'm so stoked for this sled, except those dang running boards :)

I'm also a mountain biker and the latest and greatest technology in the sport is 100% carbon fiber downhill bike frames. These frames take a beating. I was a skeptic to begin with... but they have proven me wrong. Carbon fiber (when done right) is TOUGH.

Notice, no welds? All carbon. :face-icon-small-hap
trek-carbonio-6.jpg

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Oh, and in all my years of riding I have never broken a chain or even been with someone who has. I must not ride hard enough ----

Not fun at all! especially because they always seem to break under full load usually when you are flying up hill... and then it becomes nothing short of a disaster after that! Looking good so far on the polaris pros! Excited to see what other things they have!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
When you look at the tunnel edge by the boards it looks much thicker than stock. Any chance they beefed the tunnel?

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Oh, and in all my years of riding I have never broken a chain or even been with someone who has. I must not ride hard enough ----

I agree until the past 3 seasons, 4 chain cases shelled that I was personally there when it happened. Funny how for years never an issue and then all of a sudden 3 guys with failures. Scott had 2 go in as many seasons.

S
Dec 26, 2011
MN
crazy mtn claims thier belt last longer than a chain so if it does happen to break i would think it would not be that often, not a concern IMO

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When you look at the tunnel edge by the boards it looks much thicker than stock. Any chance they beefed the tunnel?

If you're looking at the running board pic, you're seeing the running board extrusion. If your looking at the seat pic, (oblong holes where it joins the coolers) the resolution is not good enough for me to confirm or deny your hopes.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
crazy mtn claims thier belt last longer than a chain so if it does happen to break i would think it would not be that often, not a concern IMO

That is good to hear! As their belt is 36mm wide and Gates standard sizes go up to 62mm wide in the 8mm pitch, so you could effectively nearly double HP and Torque reliably with a 62mm wide belt for turboing or to give you further peace of mind with a stocker.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I lost teeth off of the little gear and it was all over. I was able to clean it out on the trail but the lack of chaincase oil caused it to seize up. Polaris was a good boy and took care of it on warranty.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
i got a carbon v10 this last summer; stiffest bike i've owned in 8 years of competative DH racing, oh and lightest.

of course it was also the most expensive!

i'm so stoked for this sled, except those dang running boards :)

Sweet! I would love a carbon V10. Pretty expensive though, so we'll see. I do plan on buying a new frame this year though.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
There has got to be many of you on here that ride Harleys, Victors, or other big vtwin cruisers with belt drives. How many of you have blown a belt on your bike? And talk about exposed to elements as well! That also tells me Polaris knows full well how to make the belt drive builtproof borrowing the technology from their bikes that that they already have.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
There has got to be many of you on here that ride Harleys, Victors, or other big vtwin cruisers with belt drives. How many of you have blown a belt on your bike? And talk about exposed to elements as well! That also tells me Polaris knows full well how to make the belt drive builtproof borrowing the technology from their bikes that that they already have.

I never see harleys with tree branchs and 5 #chuncks of ice and snow around the belt. IMO there are far more variables that will flesh themselves out when 10,000 sleds hit the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features