• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 800 MTN CAT EFI BOGGING!!!!!!!

A
Feb 11, 2009
GUY'S I NEED HELP, LAST WINTER I BOUGHT THIS SLED AND RIGHT AWAY IT STARTED BOGGING OUT IN THE FIRST 1/4 THROTTLE. I CAN FEATHER THE THROTTLE AND GET BY IT AND IT RUNS GREAT. BUT I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT WHATS DOING IT. ROAD MAYBE 2 MILES LAST WINTER. TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER. THEY REPLACEED APV CABLES, NEW SERVO, NEW TSS, 500 BUCKS LATER, I WENT TO PICK IT UP AND I COULDN'T EVEN GET IT ON THE TRAILER. SO THEY CHECKED SOME MORE AND SAID THE FUEL PUMP WAS BAD WOULD BE ANOTHER 400. FIRST OFF I ONLY BROUGHT IT IN TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG SO I COULD SAVE UP SOME MONEY, BUT INSTEAD THEY JUST FIXED EVERYTHING AND DID NOT EVEN FIX THE PROBLEM, SO I WOULD NOT LET THEM DO THE FUEL PUMP. I BOUGHT ONE MYSELF AND PUT IT IN. GUESS WHAT! STILL DOES IT. I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT 900 BUCKS AND STILL HAD PROBLEMS. I AM LOST, CANT RIDE IT, I HAVE OWNED IT 2 WINTERS NOW AND HAVE MAYBE 5 MILES ON IT. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
so it back fires if you do not feather the throttle? Can you get it to full throttle after feathering past the bog?
I have the same sled with 2500 miles, I have replaced or re-wound the stator at 1700 miles, tps at 2300, fuel pump at 2500 miles. The stator will give you many different symptoms but sounds like it could be a stator. The throttle safety switch can cause a bog as well like you are stating. You and easily check that by pulling apart the 3 way connector coming off the throttle lever. If that is the problem it will run with no bog. Also I have heard of the voltage regulator going bad and causing intermittent bogging where you could not ride it very similar to what happens when the stator goes. Good luck

Last edited:
A
Feb 11, 2009
IT DOES NOT BACKFIRE OR DIE, IT ACTS LIKE 1 HIT THE KILL SWITCH BUTTON AND PULLED IT UP BEFORE IT DIES, BUT I AM NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING. WOULDNT THE STATER SHOW OTHER SIGNS LIKE WEAK HEADLIGHT OR HAND WARMERS NOT WORK? OTHER THAN SNAPPING MY NECK BACK AND FORTH IN THE FIRST 1/4 THROTTLE EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECT.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
throttle

ditto on the throttle safely switch and or tight throttle cable, used to ride with two of these years back, had gthe throttle safely switch's go bad several times on each sled.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
As said above.
Did it on my wifes sled. Unplug the kill switch. If it cures the problem wire conector wires through the plug (three). With it running remove one wire at a time. When it runs and the kill switch works with one of the wires removed you can cut that wire. Use the Key to shut it down until you get it figured out.

A
Feb 11, 2009
I HAVE 41 PSI AND I UNPLUGED THE SWITCH AND IT DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I WILL TRY TIGHTENING THE THROTTLE CABLE. COULD IT POSSIBLEY BE CLUTCHING, WHEN I GOT IT WAS SET UP FOR THE MOUNTAINS AND I CHANGED THE WEIGHTS FOR HERE. DOES THE SPRING NEED TO BE MOVED A NOTCH, I AM JUST GUESSING NOW.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I have the same problem described on the same sled, 02 mtn cat 800. It is worse when it is cold, but basically you go to grab a handful of throttle and it dies like a cold bog on a carbed sled. Like I said it gets better when it is warmed up, but there have been a few times when I grabbed the flipper on the side of a hill expecting to pop the sled up onto its side and ended up about going over the bars cause the engine literally almost dies. I have been through the fuel pump, clutches, throttle switch, cleaned and inspected the throttle bodies, basically everything short of replacing the stator. I decided to upgrade to an M1000 last year so I am trying to sell the mtn cat now, but if I had an easy fix for the weird bog I would pull it in the shop and get it fixed before I send it down the road.

Premium Features