• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator/voltage regulators D-8

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
are the problems with the reg and stators ,,only on the 08 D-8 or does the 09 have the same problem?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Why is polaris saying that the stator is also a problem???? who had to change all three items?????

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
IMO Polaris needs to fire their electrical crew and get some people in there that know what they're doing.

Half their problem is that they cheap out on the wiring. I don't know where they get wire that crappy, but i'm hoping to yank it all out and put good cable in mine this summer.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the stator is not a problem nor is the ecu it is all the regulator and the rest just follows through the process. when the regulator goes tits up it causes the stator to have a bad/ or no ground connection which then in turn puts way to much juice to the ecu... in some cases actually catching it on fire... in all cases it somkes and burns throught the casing of the ecu at the connection point. we have had 5 come through the shop this year... all the exact same deal where the regulator went first then the rest followed as a result. According to polaris this issue is only in late build 08's and all 09's. however the piston issue w/ the 08's is a whole nother story that wasnt supposed to be afiliated w/ the 09's what so ever... but it was! saw many waved pistons this year including mine. as of right now polaris is replacing the regulators, ecu's and stators if needed on all effected machines. they do not know wich machines have bad parts and which ones have good ones so only after they go down are they attended to. as far as the pistons go there is talk of a madatory update on all 09's i dont think it will be on the 08's but it may be as well. rumor has it, it will be new pistons and a head that lowers the compression.(which is awesome because that means more BOOST!)

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
the stator is not a problem nor is the ecu it is all the regulator and the rest just follows through the process. when the regulator goes tits up it causes the stator to have a bad/ or no ground connection which then in turn puts way to much juice to the ecu... in some cases actually catching it on fire... in all cases it somkes and burns throught the casing of the ecu at the connection point. we have had 5 come through the shop this year... all the exact same deal where the regulator went first then the rest followed as a result. According to polaris this issue is only in late build 08's and all 09's. however the piston issue w/ the 08's is a whole nother story that wasnt supposed to be afiliated w/ the 09's what so ever... but it was! saw many waved pistons this year including mine. as of right now polaris is replacing the regulators, ecu's and stators if needed on all effected machines. they do not know wich machines have bad parts and which ones have good ones so only after they go down are they attended to. as far as the pistons go there is talk of a madatory update on all 09's i dont think it will be on the 08's but it may be as well. rumor has it, it will be new pistons and a head that lowers the compression.(which is awesome because that means more BOOST!)

Great info! Have they figured out the fuel mapping yet?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
they say they have a new reflash... but this will be new reflash number three... so time will tell if they do or not

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
IMO Polaris needs to fire their electrical crew and get some people in there that know what they're doing.

Half their problem is that they cheap out on the wiring. I don't know where they get wire that crappy, but i'm hoping to yank it all out and put good cable in mine this summer.

I doubt it is the engineers. I think it is the regulators that they are buying. Several components of the sled are outsourced and purchased from another company. I think the company had a bad batch and (hopefully) fixed them in later builds for the D8. From what I have heard, snow check and other early builds are the sleds with the bad voltage regulators. Later builds should have received updated regulators.

Just think about that for a moment. Maybe all this D8 bashing and people talking about how they blow up all the time is simply a bad batch of voltage regulators!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the regluators were made by Motorola, i'm pretty sure the new ones are still made by them. havent seen any of the sleds we've replaced regulators in come back. one guy has over 1000 miles since the new electrical equipment.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Soooo if my sled has not had any problems yet and I decide to replace the regulator how do I know I got a current good one???? is the part # updated?? and lower compression,,,,,,, IM already running 14psi dont know if I could handle any more!!!!

MOWER800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton Utah
vr????

JKinzer
if you work in a shop maybe you would know what the 3 orange wires on the reg are for? the reason I ask is when my reg went out we left them unplugged and saved the ecu and after the new parts were installed we checked on the computer and no codes.

so it might save someone in the future if their lights and dash goes out then the sled dies unplug all the plugs under the belt holder for a few secs and then plug them all back together except the orange wires and see if it starts
back up this is what I had to do to get my 08 out of a deep ravine and I rode it back to the truck with no probs just don't know what the wires go to
hummm???????

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If the dealer has one "in stock" dont buy it...

If they have to order it... you will have a "new design"

#13 Yesterday, 07:49 PM
KAWGRN
Soooo if my sled has not had any problems yet and I decide to replace the regulator how do I know I got a current good one???? is the part # updated?? and lower compression,,,,,,, IM already running 14psi dont know if I could handle any more!!!!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the three orange wires go to the ecu adding extra voltage durring start up to boost power to the fuel pump( only durring start up). so since your sled was already warm it probably allowed the sled to start easily... and by having those un plugged it allowed less voltage to go to the ecu after the regulator took a dump... have never thought of that as something to do but it worked and makes since.

Premium Features