• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

485 won't run on right cylinder

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Old Phazer engine won't run on right cylinder, it has a primer on it, if I keep priming it, it will run, (drove 15 miles to get it home pumping the primer). It seems like the venturi effect is not there for the right cylinder.

Float bowl full of gas.
Compression is good.
Cleaned the carbs many many times.
Reed valves look good.
Pulled the crank, seals look good.
New needle and seats.
Piston skirt looks good.
Swapped carbs.

I'M STUMPED!

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Do a crank case leak down test...

I think the procedure is: seal case and pressure to 3 psi let sit for 30 minutes - don't remember what allowable loss is; I think 1/2 lb.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
After trying lots of things last year I pulled the engine and took the crankcase apart to see if I had a bad seal, everything looks good and the crankcase went back together with lots of sealer on the gasket. I have lost drain plug in the case before, it doesn't quit firing completely like this does.
Dealing with this old junk I think the problem is just that, old junk. The old sled is a joy to drive though so I would like to get it running. I have a new clue, the old carbs were missing all but one gasket that goes on the main jet bolt, it seems to be about .040 thou. I made a plastic washer but I don't think it was thick enough and the main jet seems to run into the siphon tube in the carb. I will make some .040 washers and try that.

S

sledmaniak

Mar 17, 2009
old phazer 485

I have never seen a 485 with drain plugs for the case. It sounds like a lack of fuel for sure. also primer? this must be a aftermarket set up? the oe system has never let me down. I would try putting the vac caps back on the carbs where the primer sys hooks up. The washer for the bolt that holds the main jet was orig aluminum some one must have a set of old carbs for phazer laying around. Oh and one more thing make sure that the holes in the inlet side (air box) side of the carbs are not pluged. There are three. as you are looking at them the left one is blank. Middle is the air bleed for main tube and right is the air bleed for pilot ( extreamly small hole)!

N
Nov 27, 2007
phazer carbs

I recently put together a 94 phazer. it ran on one cylinder until the choke was on and then
the second one fired.Lack of fuel i assumed ,cleaned the carbs , ran small wire through all the ports,no change.Finally I took the air screw out and ran a torch tip cleaner in the port
and just like that ,started and ran on both cylinders.Had to repeat cleaning a few times, but runs good now.Just something you may want to try,or maybe have already.....?

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
The old carbs had lost their aluminum washers on the main jet except one, I replaced them with plastic washers.
The aluminum washers were .040, the plastic washers were .030, I made some new aluminum washers, as far as I can tell the problem is solved.
I haven't field tested it, but in the yard it works.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
I have never seen a 485 with drain plugs for the case. It sounds like a lack of fuel for sure. also primer? this must be a aftermarket set up? the oe system has never let me down. I would try putting the vac caps back on the carbs where the primer sys hooks up. The washer for the bolt that holds the main jet was orig aluminum some one must have a set of old carbs for phazer laying around. Oh and one more thing make sure that the holes in the inlet side (air box) side of the carbs are not pluged. There are three. as you are looking at them the left one is blank. Middle is the air bleed for main tube and right is the air bleed for pilot ( extreamly small hole)!

Case drain was on a different sled, this is one different Phazer.

aluminummesh.jpg

Premium Features