• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2Moto and Explorer ride tomorrow

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Mike's coming to my house tonight. Sounds like a great guy. It's nice to be able to have fun on snowbikes and be friends about it. We're going to ride each others bikes tomorrow.
Don't worry, we'll get plenty of video and photos.

Anybody else want to come? Email me- brett@2moto.com and we'll get you in the action, or let you know where we'll be at.

Happy new year!

Dec 4, 2007
pa
thank you bret for the invite,,, i made it here tonight,,, and can not think of anything i would rather do on my birthday!!! see you all in the am,,, call us if you wanna try snowbiking!!!! 1800 ride sno

mike

M
Jan 22, 2008
Wish I lived in S.Idaho

You guys better go big, and get it on the net tomarrow night I want to see this, everyone is pumped about the one ski action, I here there is even a golf course race, I plan to come film this crazy talk.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Sweet!!

I wish we could have made it!! I headed up for what was to be a great night ride today, but was turned around with a road closer.:mad: No one in Wa is getting up unless there already there. At least not shredding..
Hopefully we can get up in the next few days..

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
I have checked out the snowbike conversion kit and saw a guy on one last week in 3 to 4 ft of pow and he wasnt going anywhere. I was riding the rev all around that area with snow coming over the hood constantly and that guy was on his way to the parking lot(he made it about 100 yds). From what ive seen the conditions have to be just right, a good base and a ft of fresh=awesome, 3 to 4 ft with very little base and its a no go situation.JMO:D

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
I have checked out the snowbike conversion kit and saw a guy on one last week in 3 to 4 ft of pow and he wasnt going anywhere. I was riding the rev all around that area with snow coming over the hood constantly and that guy was on his way to the parking lot(he made it about 100 yds). From what ive seen the conditions have to be just right, a good base and a ft of fresh=awesome, 3 to 4 ft with very little base and its a no go situation.JMO:D

What color bike was he on? Heard a similiar story about a guy on a yellow bike out South. As we found out yesterday, not all snowbike kits are created equal.

To answer the questions from the most scientific friendly perspective, opinions have to stay on the bench. Here's the initial facts, after hanging out with Mike for a day. Great guy, and fun to hang out and ride with.
First real measureables on 2 bathroom scales with Mike and I present:

Explorer RMZ450 w/nitrous= 353 pounds (yes, have photos, video)
2Moto RMZ 450= 296 pounds
Explorer Husaberg 650= 340 pounds (1/4 gallon fuel)
2Moto Husaberg 650= 299 pounds (with 1/2 tank. I'm going to set the fuel level equal, and shoot some more video clips to verify again)
Bottom line is the 2Moto RadiX is 40-45 pounds lighter on the same bike than the Explorer kit.
With the Husaberg 650 having a dry published weigh just under 240 pounds, the Explorer adds about 100 pounds to your Berg. I wouldn't have believed it either.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
lets see some performance vid!

What color bike was he on? Heard a similiar story about a guy on a yellow bike out South. As we found out yesterday, not all snowbike kits are created equal.

To answer the questions from the most scientific friendly perspective, opinions have to stay on the bench. Here's the initial facts, after hanging out with Mike for a day. Great guy, and fun to hang out and ride with.
First real measureables on 2 bathroom scales with Mike and I present:

Explorer RMZ450 w/nitrous= 353 pounds (yes, have photos, video)
2Moto RMZ 450= 296 pounds
Explorer Husaberg 650= 340 pounds (1/4 gallon fuel)
2Moto Husaberg 650= 299 pounds (with 1/2 tank. I'm going to set the fuel level equal, and shoot some more video clips to verify again)
Bottom line is the 2Moto RadiX is 40-45 pounds lighter on the same bike than the Explorer kit.
With the Husaberg 650 having a dry published weigh just under 240 pounds, the Explorer adds about 100 pounds to your Berg. I wouldn't have believed it either.

lets tie up loose ends brett!!!
jeff leech

X
Sep 15, 2008

for all we know, that could have been one of the older switchblades. or a snowxcycle.

X
Sep 15, 2008
it's pretty cool that you two are getting togethor and riding on a friendly basis. sometimes this board can seem a little too brand polarized. you couldn't get snowhawk addict there with one of his snowhawks???? lol. anxiously awaiting videos and bench racing

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
it's pretty cool that you two are getting togethor and riding on a friendly basis. sometimes this board can seem a little too brand polarized. you couldn't get snowhawk addict there with one of his snowhawks???? lol. anxiously awaiting videos and bench racing

We had more of a friendly ride with a lot of Q and A; instead of a knock-down let's see who wins type deal. There were 3 of us from 2Moto, 2 from their Team, and 2 snowbike customers that brought their own units. We rode several miles of trail, did some drag races, played in a powder meadow and took turns trading between bikes, and then headed up higher for some deeper powder. Mike even adjusted his track back and forth so we could all feel the differences in how it handled.

The Radix and Explorer handle completely differently in both the front end, and the rear. How am I doing staying objective? It's dang hard to do. Here goes-

Weight- as previously stated, we weighed both brands with the same scales at the same time. 40-45 pounds heavier for the Explorer on the Berg 650-

Traction- 2+ inch deep lugs will always win over 1+ inch lugs. There is a huge traction difference on the trail, sidehilling, and in the soft. One of the customers that came helped me understand how to ride the Explorer on the trail. He said it felt like riding a back tire in slick mud. Once I thought of it that way, I got it. You power-slide corners, instead of railing them because of the small paddles, and narrow track pressure point.

Acceleration- This is a combination of traction and efficiency. Let out the clutch on the Explorer RMZ and you can tell a big difference in harder initial motion. Mike mentioned they'd already burned out a clutch on his Aprilia. We've not burned out a stock clutch. The RadiX also pulls one to two gears taller, on the same bike. I had to keep telling Mike, while he was on the Radix- "shift up into 3rd or 4th". On the trail I got the Explorer 650 Berg into 3rd gear, but it would only pull low rpm and bogged in 4th. On our Berg, I've done 6th at 92mph on GPS in 6 inches of pow, and was dragging the bars for Mike in the deep powder meadow in 4th gear. Drag racing was Mike (big guy) on his 650 Berg, and me on a 450 Suzuki. Let's just say I had a weight advantage, and traction/efficiency advantage.

Front ski- I was impressed with the Explorer front end feel in one condition- packed trail with good biteable snow. We had ice under 6 inches of pow, and then got up into packed snowmobile tracks with fresh pow on each side of the trail. In the track forward position and staying in the packed part, the Explorer ski was great at 2nd gear or slower speeds. It really had a good stable feel. Drift out into the pow, and it was unpredictable, and you lost any "feeling" in the front end. In the powder meadow (about 2 feet of heavier fluff), it was impossible to lay it over and drag the bars in a 360. We shot lots of video of this. When you lay the Explorer over to turn, the ski stays flat and goes straight, while the bike is trying to turn. Not being able to have any "carving" g-force resistance, you wash the ski and fall over. Mike tightened the front ski axis bolts and suggested I try again and not let off the gas. I cobbed his RMZ in 2nd (wouldn't pull 3rd) and tried to carve a powder turn 3 times. Best I got was a face plant. You could watch the front ski change angles as you leaned. We noted the same thing in our sidehill powder testing- the ski will not hold a good edge, it lays down (parallel to) the hill, and pulls the front end downhill. This is more apparent in firmer snow. I still have to restate that I was impressed at how the Explorer front end felt at slow speeds on the packed trail. Mike also raised the front end. I could not tell any difference in the powder, execept that it felt like it turned slower. On the trail, it was sketchy with the fork angle that flat.

Suspension- We did quite a bit of comparison here. We found a good flat section of trail with some smaller whoops and a few turns in it. Mike was great, and set the Explorer track in each of 3 positions so we could feel it out. In the trail (far back) setting, you get the most of the stock swingarms' suspension. You couldn't take the bumps without swapping. The front ski pressure was increased, and the initial light steering/confidence feel was gone. Taking it into the powder, you could feel it wanting to bury. In the middle track setting, it was better on the trail. You still had some suspension, but it felt more predictable at the front ski. This was agreed the best rear suspension setting, but riders still could not hit the bumps hard. I think "pogo" was the term used. (trying to be nice :)) Moving the track into the powder (forward) position the front ski felt the best. The front of the track sits up under your feet, and has about 3 or so inches of travel before it bottoms against the engine case. Suspension motion is severely limited. I rode Mikes 650 Berg 5 or 6 miles in on a bumpy logging road following sled tracks through the powder. Standing up in the bumps is the only option, and bottoming on every bump is the norm. This reduced speeds to 2nd and sometimes 3rd on the smooth parts. On the RadiX there's 10.5 inches of travel (on it's own shock) at the front of the track, and up to 15 inches (ohlins shock) at the back of the track. Both motions move independent, or at the same time. Rather than toot my horn here, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Getting unstuck- The Explorer will not stand up on it's own when you stop. If you can't touch, you tip over. Mike said this is a pain in the a**. Then Mike kick started his RMZ with his hand, and moved his bike forward to find better footing, then did a pretty cool side-saddle-jump on trick. I can't hand-start a bike, or touch my feet well in the powder. When I got the Explorer stuck on a sidehill, I jumped off to pull the ski around. It fell over down hill on me. It really has no stability when stopped, because the front ski can pivot, and the track sides fold into a "U" shape. I blew some blood vessels in my forehead pushing that bike back up into the sidehill so it didn't crush me. I was pulling the front end around, because the Explorer grab handle is too far forward, and too slippery to use. The RadiX is designed to stand up when stopped, and has a tacky grab handle at the far rear of the track. We got lots of video of this, too. You can still tip it over, but you can also stop, get off, get back on, kick start it,-whatever- and the RadiX doesn't tip over. Mike did have a set of their "sidehilling wheels" on his RMZ. He said they're $300 extra, and you add 8 more bogey wheels (22 bogeys total) to the side plates. They help hold the sides of the track better. Everyone that rode the one with the sidehill wheels liked it better off trail. On trail, we were divided.

Fuel range- Explorer now offers a fuel can/rack for $300 (was told) Mike left his RMZ with the new Nitrous system at the truck because he had no way to bring fuel. He rode the Berg with a bigger tank. 2Moto sells lightweight fuel systems for about $70 that pop on/off by pulling a pin.

Tried to stay objective, which I know is impossible.
Would like to thank Mike again for adding 6+ driving hours to his trip and coming out to Boise. He's a great guy, and a good voice for Boivin and the snow bike community.

X
Sep 15, 2008
man bret, i can imagine that trying to stay objective but not cross any lines must be one of the hardest things ever. i don't think i'd be able to do it lol.

i had no idea the lug depth was so different on the 2moto vs. explorer. that's something you should put in the comparison section of your website. will you put the vids up sometime?

Dec 4, 2007
pa
well i will try to be "fair" also..... lol seems like i came away with a feeling that my product did better also,,, to each their own i guess,,, when we first left i was following one guy and the 2 moto almost washed out several time in front of me on the trail,,, then i started to ride the 2moto and tried the one with the wider ski,, and did well in the deep, but on the trail was very hard to drive for me. when you switched to the narrow ski,,, on the trail it was better... then we got to an area where bret said, let me have my machine back because the trail get tougher ,,, so we switched back and continued,, about 1 mile into it a rider on 2moto came off the trail and hit a tree pretty hard,, glad he was ok,,, then just 100 yards later we came to a slight uphill around a turn,,, the 2moto guy wondered off the trail and got stuck, and i stopped and one 2moto passed us both and then another 2 moto stopped behind me,,, well one thing he forgot to mention is flotation,,, because i started out just fine,,, and waited up top for both the other guys to dig out and turn around and go back down to somewhere to get turned around to make a better run at it,, but in the end we all made it up there...
bret was an awesome rider and made his machine work well, but we both agreed that the explorer had an easier learning curve,,,,, about the gearing,,the 2 moto was geared very low compared to explorer , and started out easier, but i never had any trouble starting out, i have a ktm that is geared lower and feels the same, but people all over the county tried the husaberg on trails,, and never bogged in 4th, not sure where he got that, in fact i was in 5th following bret down a nice clean trail and saw him ragdoll down the trail 50 ft ,,, i asked him what happend, he said it was his suspension was not adjusting to the whoops... i was glad to see he was ok...so all in all i thought the explorer was much more stable, floated better,and in the corners was a lot easier to take, because when your track on the 2moto came out, it came out quick from under you, the explorer lets you slide around the corner and never just flies out from under you. i was able to go just fine where they went,, and had all the fun they had without 2 close calls.. so who's system is better? neither! they are both good for what they are intended for, they both rock, and they will be around for awhile, they are not the same product , and both have pro's and cons when compared, and both have a learning curve . when you master what the can do, and know the limits, you will be amazed where you have gone.

all in all,,, the the explorer is the machine i like to ride, and for 3 grand, you could not get a better deal ... and when summer comes, you can hit the dunes, hills, swamps, or just trail ride... and the adjustments they have are unlimited for many conditions!!!

thanks for all the riders that showed that day and keep tuned for some killer video comming from calin who has been down here in utah ripping the explorer for past 2 days, he has riden the 2moto quite a lot, and now is getting some explorer time...everyone reading this knows his skills and he will give a true heads up when he gats back home, he is the only person i know that has good time on both and is very skilled rider.

Its easy to defend your product,, and both bret and i have a lot of time showing these bikes off, and i think that just makes us think our own product is better no matter what.

so lets see what people think who have rode both for any amount of time.. would love to hear from you if your out there

mike

Dec 4, 2007
pa
also,,,, one thing i forgot to ask bret this weekend, was how many kits are out there from 2 moto this year,, and past years,,, i would like to know how many snowbikers we have in the world, would be good number to know,,,, boivin has sold over 800 so far in the 1st year ...let us know please.

mike

S
Nov 27, 2007
Fantastic evaluations, fellas!! I think you both did well remaining factual and allowing the reader to draw conclusions.

That said, I rode an Explorer today. WOW, like starting all over again. After reading the reviews and relating them to my own experience. I can see how both kits are unique individuals and have similarities, but are totally different.
It didn't take much time to get the hang and I wish we had more freshy's where we tested.

N
Dec 15, 2008
Blaser, whats the price on the 2moto? and how long dose it take to change it back to a bike, and ready to ride? i have the explorer kit and i can put my wheels back on my bike and get it ready for dirt in less than an hour.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Blaser, whats the price on the 2moto? and how long dose it take to change it back to a bike, and ready to ride? i have the explorer kit and i can put my wheels back on my bike and get it ready for dirt in less than an hour.

Now that we are drawing conclusions...

That is the whole point of the 2moto. To really convert the whole bike to a snow machine. That is why you pay more and spend more time in the conversion/setup process, because you have a mountain/powder appetite/environment and need more specialized, dedicated gear to handle it. This guy is the one who either would never consider being a sled owner or is sick of sledding, has had well tuned sleds for a long time (and wishes the Hawk was more svelt) that wants to put a snowbike in the stable. Build up a bigbore turbo single(KTM 690 Enduro comes to mind, trellis on a trellis ya know!) with the 2moto on it and it may be too unruley in the snow to ever see dirt again. 350# with 90+HP and 65ftlbs...:eek:

An Explorer is add-a-track to a dirtbike.
I rode the explorer back in spring 2005 on MT Adams on a Snowhawk demo with The Boys from Boivin, they had it stashed in the back of the trailer and I had to bug them to move the extra hawks to get it out and ride it. There were four of them(explorers)bolted on the hubs of a 650Prairie ATV and it could crawl anywhere. Putting one on a bike and slapping a snowhawk ski on the front was only a matter of time for A and D. Boivin sold their ATV track operation and three ATV track conversion designs to Camoplast. This gave them the time and money to get the Explorer kit squared away. The Explorer is for the budget everyman that doesn't want to be a snowmobiler and a biker. He just wants to swap on the track for multiple conditions. Be it to go up to the mountains and buzz around in the snow or hit the dunes, then just whip it back to dirt wheels and catch the MX or single track the next outing.

My experience on the Explorer today told me that I am still a powder/mountain/timber snowhawker, but will most likely end up with an explorer kit on my KTM450 in addition to the Hawk. It would be the best buddy rig!

I still need to ride the 2moto to fully appreciate its specialties and satisfy my curiosity about the rear suspension action/weight transfer and skidframe.

Premium Features