• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chaincase 20 top 17 bottom

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
Has anyone tried swapping the chaincase gears? From 17/20 to 20/17. How'd it go? Primarily looking for how it did on the trail. This is for a trail race bike.

Last edited:

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Has anyone tried swapping the chaincase gears? From 17/20 to 20/17. How'd it go?

I ran that way one year and like teal_210 said, it's a drastic change (except the other direction). It ended up being geared way too tall. I almost never even got into 5th gear going down the road. First gear was a little tall for technical stuff and loading. First and second were my go to gears for riding in the fresh, but third was way too tall. All of this was on a wide ratio WR, so it could be better on a motocross bike, but that was my experience.

After giving up on swapping the chaincase sprockets, I ended up going one tooth smaller on the kit's jackshaft sprocket, which allowed me to go one tooth larger on my bike's countershaft. That ended up being just about right.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yeah 20 over 17 is faster not slower. I had a yz 250 2 stoke that was insanely slow so I flipped the gears like u are saying it was too fast, ended up going like 17 overc16 or 18 over 16 or 17 whatever worked for chain tension dont remember but yeah 20 over 17 is really fast! Best way is to go by track roll out, search for posts by mtn muncher, he was the original owner / mastermind behind timbersled he did a post on track roll out. Anyway it almost always seem that tge jacksgaft gear comes into play I know a lot of people ended up going 16 on the jack

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
Thanks for the replies. Too fast? I didn't think that was possible. Its like having too much money! It's for a trail race bike. So, what you collectively have suggested is that its probably just about right for what I want to do with it.

I really just wanted to know if it would work at all, or if it was so crazy tall that it wouldn't. Would have been helpful if I had mention the trail race in the first post

Premium Features