• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need help...bye bye diamond drive...

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Ya, I think the DD is easier to change gears, and ESPECIALLY tracks!!!!!

How many DDs have went down in the last 5 years, that had to be replaced under warranty, vs the old chaincase? I have seen on here many DD failures, probably more than the old chaincase with all brands together?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
looking first hand at the sleds at the expo the secondary looks similar to the DD secondary but bigger around and they are only a 2 roller setup similar to a team vs. the 6 rollers on the DD secondary.

the primary looked pretty much the same with a big plastic ring mounted to the face. as for the primary durability, i asked two reps at the show about this and the first one claims he doesn't know what i'm talkin about and that he's never seen any failures in his shop. the second one first tried to claim the only issues with them were due to lack of maintenance and care. then when i told him that was bull he turned around and tried to justify it by saying "well what would you rather buy a $400 clutch or a crank or hole engine like you'd have ta do if you bought a doo or poo" i told him you shouldnt have to replace any of it that soon and asked him a few more questions about past issues, DD, etc. and he just said have a nice day and walked off. so from the response i got from the reps i doubt they did anything to the primary.

i was also told that the proclimb m800 will be within 5 lbs of the 2011 m8 and depending what rep you talk to the m1100T is between 60-75 lbs heavier for a total of 530-540lbs. none of the reps i talked to could tell me how the powerband of the T4stroke was compared to the 800 or how it handled in the trees. i asked him so with no demo rides, why should people go out and drop the coin for a new sled with the same power and the same weight as the last year. the rep just said it is what it is and that it wont hurt sales.

Last edited:
F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I am having trouble getting excited buying a sled that weighs more than my M7. I can go get a Poo that already is 20 pounds lighter to begin with....If I don't hear something magical about the ProCLimb I guess I am back on the RMK witht he M7 on deck as a backup sled.

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
I too was wondering why the change back to the chaincase. Back when I purchased my 05' M7 The diamond drive was "lighter and more efficient". Actually remember seeing the numbers posted on here of "track horsepower". Love to see dyno tech actually measure track hp in addition to pto horsepower. The old rule of thumb was 50% of the pto power made it to the track. I wonder just how efficient the sleds of today are in track horsepower? Anybody still have a track hp testing facility? I've only seen one in my life, and it was set up for short tracks (121 inch), it would have to be modded to accept the 163's.
Hey maybe boggie suspensions will make a come back!

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
ok not riding any other clutch in my life.. since i have only been riding since 2007.. my question to you guys and girls is.. what is the advantages to this new chain case type clutching? can i get another 200 rpm with a quick turn of the wrench? i also read on here that dd drive could'nt put all the power to the snow. what do they mean by this? what kind of power can we excpect from the new 800ho clutching.. will it feel like puting a pipe on it or something like that.. thanks and CHEERS

i dont get what you mean chain case type clutching? by having a chaicase it does not make the rpm adjustable. changing gearing will not affect rpm in any way, unless your increasing ratio making it harder for the sled to reach peak rpm.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
geared for go

1. the DD is not cat dead, just pro climb dead.

2. chain case or dd is not a clutching issue

3. at west no chain case info, just talk, some kind of auto adjuster, no blowup of the reverse in there the blower buyers will get, changing tracks no issue, bought same as DD for time. Spill some oil, yeah but it needs to out with the dog about twice a year anyway,

4 the chain case on display was geared 21/38 not good for the hills, but lots of room for a bigger bottom gear in the case, guessing ?? DD gone because of price, cause of warranty cost, cause of backlash slop, cause inital purchase contracts have expired ?

5 every new setup has always been tried and ditched, then its back like bell bottom pants and mullets. maybe some new engineer at cat saw chains and sprockets in a dennis kirk catalogue and though they should give them a try.

6 chain case going to work ok on the pro climb

7. someone.........quick come up with a better name than proclimb

type_a_positive

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mongo Norway
You can not have the Torque Control Link connected to a DD, so you have to choose. AC chose the TCL, so no more DD.

349eyyq.jpg

103shaw.jpg

Last edited:

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
1. the DD is not cat dead, just pro climb dead.

2. chain case or dd is not a clutching issue

3. at west no chain case info, just talk, some kind of auto adjuster, no blowup of the reverse in there the blower buyers will get, changing tracks no issue, bought same as DD for time. Spill some oil, yeah but it needs to out with the dog about twice a year anyway,

4 the chain case on display was geared 21/38 not good for the hills, but lots of room for a bigger bottom gear in the case, guessing ?? DD gone because of price, cause of warranty cost, cause of backlash slop, cause inital purchase contracts have expired ?

5 every new setup has always been tried and ditched, then its back like bell bottom pants and mullets. maybe some new engineer at cat saw chains and sprockets in a dennis kirk catalogue and though they should give them a try.

6 chain case going to work ok on the pro climb

7. someone.........quick come up with a better name than proclimb

since they had the name sno pro, why did they have to use the pro part? in my opinion.

SNO CLIMB

SNO CROSS <<<< sounds better and not the same as poo~!

H
Dec 12, 2009
Arctic cat can sell it anyway they want, but loosing the Diamond Drive wasn't something they were excited about. The chaincase is downgrade in both weight and mechanical operation, and they wouldn't have gone away from it if they could have kept it.

All of the reliability issues with the DD can be directly attributed to cat trying to find a cheaper way to make it, hence the garbage bearings that were causing failures.

For those that don't know the exclusive rights to the DD expired this year, Yamaha wanted to purchase not only the rights to the technology, but wanted to be the exclusive holder. Cat wasn't willing (or possibly able) to match Yamaha's offer so Black Diamond sold the exlcusive rights out form under cat.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
For years DD was the best thing since sliced ice cream,

not it's inferior.

That's funny.

Please pass the green koolaid.

I
Mar 20, 2008
I hope they have made some changes to the primary and start making replacement parts for the things that do wear. I wonder what they did with the secondary. The old torsion spring clutch was easy to tune and cheap to tune, pretty trouble free. When they went to the gear box they changed the secondary and made it harder to tune and more expensive, it also did not seem to shift as good as the torsional spring set-up.

i think it was more the engine reverse that made them go with that type of clutch i agree with the tunability ease on torsion spring but changing belts is a breeze with the 09-11 clutch no more push n twist

I
Mar 20, 2008
thanks for all in info on the advantages and disadvantages..
all that said.. how about getting more rpm is it easy?if so how do we do it?

clutching 101 im not an expert but i know a few getting ur rpm where u want it is in ur clutching weather its dd or chaincase u can change gear ratios but the best way is by changing primary weight,spring rates and helix ramps to get it where u want ur rpm,upshift backshift its a bit of an art/ science im sure there r a few experts round snowest that could explain that better

Premium Features