• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hit tree: Shock advice needed

M
Jan 27, 2009
So I hit a tree this weekend with my 02 Rmk Snowcheck. I bent the 2 radius rods into my fox shox and bent the shock. I also bent the Trailing arm.

-My question is can the Fox shox be rebuilt to fix the bent rod?

-Is it ok to rebend the radius arms once?

-Any good places to find used shocks/ trailing arms

Thanks for any advice!

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
The shock is can be rebuilt, sent mine to Fox for rebuild not cheap however and not very fast cost me like $280 and took almost 2 months. I would check ebay or the ads here on snowest. You can bend anything back, but it will only be weaker for the next impact and will eventually crack where the bend was.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Get in touch with Carls cyle about fixing your shock. They can replace just the shaft. Send them both shocks since the bent one will be fresh and will probably act different than the other one that you last had rebuilt when??? You can bend the radius rods slightly once...but if you bent it far enough to take out the shock, probably not. You can try it but it will be very weak when you hit it next time.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
I have bent trailing arms back with good luck. Just heat it up and bend it back the best you can and weld any cracks. I choose not to reinforce it at all. I would rather have it bend right behind the spindle again rather than risk wrecking the tunnel and bulkhead.

Good luck.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'd replace the radius rods and I have straightened and slightly reinforced the trailing arms many many times with good results.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Himark,

So did you take the shock off to rebend?

I took the coil spring off and took in the body of shock with bent rod. A good machine shop can straighten for you if the bend is not to close to the body. They need just enough room to get a small block in there. If you have to remove the rod you just as well replace it with a new one and rebuild.

M
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the advice Guys. I am felling much better about this whole thing. I plan to bend the trailing arm back, Put new radius rods on and eighther rebuild the shock or straighten the shock.

Premium Features