• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with shock length

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I need some help with replacement shocks on my 2015 Std RMK.
Still has the original OEM shocks. These RMK's had the steel A-arms, so over the years I installed a 39" Z-broz front end. The stock shocks fit perfect.
I want to replace the shocks but have question on length. What do I buy??
The Z-broz A-arms kit fit all RMK's std or PRO. But when I measure the length of my std shock, they are 17-1/2". Measured same era Pro, the original WE shocks are 16-1/2". These measurements are taken by lifting front of machine and letting suspension hang loose. I haven't removed the shock so maybe the measured differences are caused by the a-arms.?
Anyways, will any Pro shocks (2011-2015) fit? Nobody ever lists info on the std RMK.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The steel a-arm shocks on both the 2011-2012 Pro and Std RMK (including the WE), and 2013-15 Std RMK are longer. The glued Pro a-arms had shorter WE shocks on the Pro in 13-15. You're not seeing things. So no, they are not all the same. Owned Pro and Std Pro-Ride RMKs at the time. Any aftermarket shock that is spec'ed for the 11-12 Pro RMK will interchange with 11-15 Std RMKs with the steel a-arms. Changed shocks on them all. Mountainhorse covered this extensively in 2013-2014 in some posts.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
thanks Reg for the info. I no longer have the OEM steel arms, but using the steel arm shocks. Been like that for years. I have the Zbroz front end that fits all 13-15 RMK's (Pro and std) so I'm guessing any shock for that era should fit?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
thanks Reg for the info. I no longer have the OEM steel arms, but using the steel arm shocks. Been like that for years. I have the Zbroz front end that fits all 13-15 RMK's (Pro and std) so I'm guessing any shock for that era should fit?
ZBros may say they "fit" all STD and PRO 13-15 and while they will fit technically, as @Banned said, the shocks ARE a different length and you WILL get a different amount of ski pressure depending on the length of shocks you put on that front end. ZBros had to engineer their a-arms for either the longer shocks OR the shorter shocks but could not have possibly done both (unless there are two sets of bolt holes / mount points on the lower a-arm)... I suspect they are designed for the PRO shock length since that was by far the most common sled of 13-15. Putting the RMK length shocks on that setup will give you more ski pressure, I suppose you could adjust for some of that by reducing shock spring preload or possibly adjusting track shock preload...

Premium Features