• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Turbo thread

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
I went back out today with the airbox completely sealed and I still have the same problem with it pulling up to 10 lbs and then dropping to 8. As soon as it would drop to 8 the motor would sputter and wouldn't come back. Is there something I should be looking at in the wastegate or the boost controller? I'm going to try to rig something up this week to test the controller in the shop. Can anyone lead me in the right direction or give me some ideas to try?

Thanks

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
In the end this is where we all end up......chasing leaks. Its likely you have one, ckeck your pipe, Y, boost reference lines, and so on, and so on.

Just back from OVS

I loaded up Mimi and took her to see Garr and Travis. She goes sweet now. Gotta thank Shain too, of course, for his dedication to getting things sorted out for the fix... Not to mention the "death ride" on his TM8 as co-passenger.

Mimi runs very clean. Came back from yesterdays ride with fuel left over... a first, ever. The fuel economy improved at least 30 percent. Snappy, no bottom bog, and clean pull.

AND, i got to see the new OVS Garrett turbo kits - sweet guys! Man....really clean, very well thought out and executed designs for the M8 and Dragon. If I were to do it all over again, Id go with the new OVS kit, no doubt.

Sidenote for bd kit guys... Make sure you run your vent tube for your turbo oil to a good spot. Im going to lengthen and run it up the steering and back down. Yesterday she spent some time on her side, in which oil escaped and soaked my belt and clutches resulting in a slight panic that I might never get out. Thank gawd we had a Nytro there with no-mix clean fuel to use on rags to get it off.

Need to get my clutching more suited to my style and then Ill be more than all giggly about my 6.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I loaded up Mimi and took her to see Garr and Travis. She goes sweet now. Gotta thank Shain too, of course, for his dedication to getting things sorted out for the fix... Not to mention the "death ride" on his TM8 as co-passenger.

Mimi runs very clean. Came back from yesterdays ride with fuel left over... a first, ever. The fuel economy improved at least 30 percent. Snappy, no bottom bog, and clean pull.

AND, i got to see the new OVS Garrett turbo kits - sweet guys! Man....really clean, very well thought out and executed designs for the M8 and Dragon. If I were to do it all over again, Id go with the new OVS kit, no doubt.

Sidenote for bd kit guys... Make sure you run your vent tube for your turbo oil to a good spot. Im going to lengthen and run it up the steering and back down. Yesterday she spent some time on her side, in which oil escaped and soaked my belt and clutches resulting in a slight panic that I might never get out. Thank gawd we had a Nytro there with no-mix clean fuel to use on rags to get it off.

Need to get my clutching more suited to my style and then Ill be more than all giggly about my 6.

So you are saying that I will like the new kit? Sounds like you have a converted BD/OVS kit now. I am anxious to get my kit installed!

Interesting that you said the mpg improved that much. Just for reference, how many miles did you get per tank before and after? I'm expecting 4-5 mpg - is that close?

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Sounds like the new OVS kits might be the way to go. Are they going to be intercooled? I've spent the last two days trying to get my sled dialed with the BD box. After a WOT pull if you let off quickly the engine with bog badly. Maybe it's just pumping to much fuel in under boost then it floods the engine when you let off quickly. What a/f ratio are you guys running under boost? Any recommendations on setting up the BD box?

S
Nov 28, 2007
i have been over the same problems with the bd box. I now have the pure logic box with the other things you will need. The problem you have with the bog is the leftover fuel in the air box that floods the motor when you open the t body back up. OVS (pure logic ) does not run all 4 injectors all the time like bd does. they (OVS) have done lots of testing and i really think they have there act togather.my sled never ran this good on the bd setup. I have a problem with my temp sensor that is giving me a stupid spot. but i think you need the complete fix (CALL SHANE) winter is to short and with the bd box you will spend all your time trying to figure out what you can not control like the 2nd injectors I am on boost forever!!

carl

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
Help!!

O.K. guys this is a little off subject, sorry to hijack the thread. Does anyone know where I can find a link to video of Chris Burandts new M1000 turbo sno pro? (the orange and white one). I saw a clip somewhere on the net but now I can't find the damn thing again.. Arrrgh!!:mad: Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled programing..:D:beer;

Nov 27, 2007
calgary
The A/F ratio under boost shuold be 11.5 to 12, I have the same sled as you do D_Edge, and i put the latest settings from Boondockers Home page and my sled runs flawless.

G
Nov 30, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
I went back out today with the airbox completely sealed and I still have the same problem with it pulling up to 10 lbs and then dropping to 8. As soon as it would drop to 8 the motor would sputter and wouldn't come back. Is there something I should be looking at in the wastegate or the boost controller? I'm going to try to rig something up this week to test the controller in the shop. Can anyone lead me in the right direction or give me some ideas to try?

Thanks

Brings back so many memories from last year. How I fixed my problem was to get ahold of Shain and Pure Logic. They can definetely take care of that issue you have.

Brings back so many memories from last year. How I fixed my problem was to get ahold of Shain and Pure Logic. They can definetely take care of that issue you have.

Got it figured out. The motor rpm winds when you go WOT from an idle until it gets past the engagement ramp on the weights and then shifts out. Pulls 8200-8300 rpm and once it hits boost it starts to shift and pulls down to 7600, hence why the boost was dropping off.

Also got the updated BD fuel pressure regulator and the sled runs fine now. Just have to wait for all the storms to clear up for some fresh pow.

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
Well I took it out today and tried to get rid of the bog when letting off after 3/4 to WOT. Still couldn't get rid of it. Set the LO setting at hi rpm to -20, didn't seem to do much. Turned down the mid a little too. When it loads up I have to let completly off the throttle before I can get back into it. It's kinda frustrating during a climb if you have to let off at all and then it pulls this crap. Anybody have any suggestions beside getting rid of the BD box, which I'm about to do.

make sure you dont have any leaks. When in the powder i have to lean my mids at least 10 points and watch the etgs. Runs like a champ. the more miles i get on the motor the more leaner it wants to run. I havent run the same setting since my third ride on this sled. Check your fuel presure, y pipe for cracks and your stock gauge clust is working. BD makes a kick *** set up. It not for everybody because it requires some tuning. High performace has a price. Stick with it youll be very happy in the long run.

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
new BD programming

There is new programming for the Boondocker box that allows control for when the secondary injectors come on, allows part throttle boost adjustments (for handling the typical lean part throttle boost problems), 2 acceleration adjustments and a deceleration adjustment (immediately cuts fuel when off throttle during boost), and that has intake air temperature and elevation compensation. This is still being tested but so far it looks very promising. The tuning parameters are a little more advanced, but the idea is that once a baseline is set these additional settings will be hidden and the user will just have some basic adjustments for fine tuning if necessary. Unfortunately I can't say when testing will be completed and when it will be released, but it might be possible for a pre-release version to be available if you're into doing your own tuning (I can't say for sure yet).

I also suggest contacting Boondocker or looking at the "new products" page on the website for turbo kit updates, as well as the latest tuning numbers, esp. for the Dragons since the original numbers were a ways off.

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
not to be a jerk fastgas, but i have called twice about the muffler for the m series turbos and emailed once about a price of this component. have not recieved a call or a return email. before you start spewing about what new you have coming tell us how much the products that you have out now are going to cost us.

now on to a lighter side of things good for you guys fastgas. i am glad that you are coming up with new ideas to make these things work. mine has done very well and i love the thing. how much would it cost to send in my controller which is one from a m7 kit and have the updates work on the m8. things like the power valve opening wire needs to be added. things like that.

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
There is new programming for the Boondocker box that allows control for when the secondary injectors come on, allows part throttle boost adjustments (for handling the typical lean part throttle boost problems), 2 acceleration adjustments and a deceleration adjustment (immediately cuts fuel when off throttle during boost), and that has intake air temperature and elevation compensation. This is still being tested but so far it looks very promising. The tuning parameters are a little more advanced, but the idea is that once a baseline is set these additional settings will be hidden and the user will just have some basic adjustments for fine tuning if necessary. Unfortunately I can't say when testing will be completed and when it will be released, but it might be possible for a pre-release version to be available if you're into doing your own tuning (I can't say for sure yet).

I also suggest contacting Boondocker or looking at the "new products" page on the website for turbo kit updates, as well as the latest tuning numbers, esp. for the Dragons since the original numbers were a ways off.

So if I want the upgrades I have to send them back to BD and wait till they get the updates to me or will they send me the updates so I can put it on and send back the old stuff without having alot of down time. What problems were you having with the old fuel regulator?

Premium Features