• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iq seat and maybe tank on a IQR?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
it is a pain in the ***.

You need the older gas tanks off like a 600 carbed sled cause all hte efi sleds have huge holes in the tank for a fuel pump. The tank is wider at the front so you will need to cut the steal bracing and weld up your own. Then it doesn't meat the plastics.... not worth it to run that tank. WAY to much work!

here is a rmk seat off my 09 dragon on my 05 racer... idk i liked it!

attachment.php

racer edit.jpg

Last edited:

Rolling20s

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2003
Cle Elum, WA
get a tank off of a 2008-2009 600RR. Bolts right up. It's only about 9 gallons though. jspowersports.com also sells a couple different sized tanks. The Polaris tank is cheaper. i just put the 600 RR tank on my 07 440 iqr. Direct bolt on.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I did it and its not that bad at all but I like to fab stuff up. Used an 09 dragon rmk tank and pro rmk seat. I have pics of it in the Polaris sledn for sale section under iqr 155 with carls 910 take a look. I thought it turned out real nice!!!!

Klutch

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
Does the trail tank extend any further than the seat? I ask as I've bought on of Winter's sleds he built with the Vanamburg tunnel on it and the gas rack is 4" behind the seat base and 2.5" behind the tail light.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
just lean it out, you'll be alright, 4 gallons gets you a couple hours. cary a siphon hose. it's lighter than that extra fuel, and if you go riding with people on skidoo's alot, it works out because often ya have to tow one home!

I

IQ02

Dec 12, 2007
The trailtank extends a couple inches past seat. If you have 4" it will be fine.

I

IQRTurbo

Dec 2, 2010
Central MN
Pro tank

I have run the factory rr tank (holds about 8 gals), the trail tanks 10.5 gal (holds 9 1/4 gal) and finally the pro rmk tank and it holds 11.5 gal. Obviously if you are looking for max capacity the pro tank is the answer but it does take some fabbing to make it look clean. I will tell you that the pro tank is deffinately different than the dragon tank but only where it matters. In the front of the pro tank is two sunken ribs that are designed to hug the aluminum overstructure that allow the tank to be pushed forward more than any other tank from previous models. The pro has a similar overstructure to the IQR but it still has to be modified to move way ahead. Without a tubing bender, some 1 1/8 tubing and a welder it will be difficult to make it look right. Next, once the tank is on, you have the issue of plastics. I used a pro tank console and cut it and the side panels to make it look right. It really does work and look nice if done correctly but is a ton of work (the first time anyway). If I had not needed the tank/fuel pump to run the 800 CFI for the Turbo I would not say it was not worth the work and expense. I added a few pics of my IQR Turbo sled with the pro tank and the IQR 800 carb sled to show the 10.5 (9.5 at best) trail tank. It does not hold 10.5 but it does hold more than any of the other bolt on tanks. I would be happy to walk you through any short cuts if you would like to fit a pro tank.

PC250023.jpg PC250024.jpg PC250025.jpg PC250027.jpg PC250029.jpg

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
IQRTurbo,
The pic with the trail tank:
What gas rack is that, and is it notched for the cooler?
I don't see the cooler in that pic, did you relocate?
My cooler is in the stock location, and I have a 146 track, will snow still encase? Will scratchers hit the location, will the scratchers that bolt onto the front ski's work better?

Sorry to get off topic, I've got the 10.5 trail tank in black with the same seat if you want to see pics.

I

IQRTurbo

Dec 2, 2010
Central MN
IQRTurbo,
The pic with the trail tank:
What gas rack is that, and is it notched for the cooler?
I don't see the cooler in that pic, did you relocate?
My cooler is in the stock location, and I have a 146 track, will snow still encase? Will scratchers hit the location, will the scratchers that bolt onto the front ski's work better?

Sorry to get off topic, I've got the 10.5 trail tank in black with the same seat if you want to see pics.

The gas rack is one that I built to fit the same can that I run on my pro, made of 1x1 angle with holes to bungee can on. I relocate crossover tube to hug the back of the tank close in order to keep the can as close to the seat as possible.

I have the two stock coolers without the large one from the RR, and run 185 psi heads in an 800 and have never had cooling issues. Always sits around 130 on the trail with HRP scratchers down and the same in the powder with them up. I am set up in the short IQR as a 146 assault competion track with holz skid and love it for the riding I do with it. I do have a camo extreme 2.5 for the deep fluffy snow. Whoops a stock 155 pro without even touching the NOS button with either track on an uphill. You are on the right track with that sled, I have had it just about every length and absolutly love that sled at 146. It has been alot of work making it go through the snow well and easy to flick around but can honestly say it is WAY more fun to ride than my 155 pro and 162 turbo IQR. Just installed a Silber turbo today so the next ride may change my mind with the added snort in the pro.

Try pulling your steering post block out to get your bars back a bit if you find the front end heavy. It will move your feet back about 2'' and get you pretty close to the pro dimentions.

What are you running for a motor, pipes, air box?

If you have the means to modify your running boards it may be the best thing you will do to get it through the snow and sidehills better. I cut mine from nothing at the front to about 3 inches higher at the rear arm mount and narrowed them to about the same width as the pro and it was an unbelivable improvement. I then built a set of drop brackets to have a spot to bolt up. You will find your boards hanging up and hitting on sidehills causing you to wash out aggrivatingly often.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
I am right in the middle of this right now as i have a '06 IQR with a 600CFI that has a boondocker race setup on it. the sled had a 4 gallon custom aluminum tank with the fuel pump integrated into it..... I have a pro tank that i have tried to fit but i also have a friend that has a '09 draggon tank which would be better?

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I am right in the middle of this right now as i have a '06 IQR with a 600CFI that has a boondocker race setup on it. the sled had a 4 gallon custom aluminum tank with the fuel pump integrated into it..... I have a pro tank that i have tried to fit but i also have a friend that has a '09 draggon tank which would be better?

they look identical to me?

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
thats what im unsure of.....I have been told they are the same and also that they are different right up in the front of the tank.... i am going to install the PRO tank and consol tonight and see how it goes

Rolling20s

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2003
Cle Elum, WA
The rr tank is supposed to be 8.8 gallons. It bolts right on with no modifications at all and is half the price of the trail tank. I'll carry a spare 2 gallon can if I think I'll need more fuel. Here in the mountains we only do about 30-60 mile rides, so that should be pleanty.

Premium Features