• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best turbo specific pipe

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Took the ceramic coated stock pipe off of my xp turbo today and noticed that it rattles...the freakin baffle is detached and moving around inside my pipe...bad luck or what !!!!

Now I am looking for a turbo specific custom pipe for my 09 xp.

Any suggestions? THX

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have a cpi turbo pipe on my turbo xp. the sled runs great.
I have never ran a stock pipe so I do not know how it compares though.
It is supposed to be made of a thicker gauge metal then their normal pipes. it still cracked on a inside seam once and a outside seam another time. two halves of the pipe are crimped together and then it looks like electricity is aplied to make a weld. not a normal weld. that is where it split on mine. I had those welds gone over by a welder I use and built up. I also header wraped it and use several stainless hose clamps on the pipe. It hasn't cracked since.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
turbo pipe

Hey shawn...I had the same thing happen and went with the cpi pipe...it works really well...Your going to want to take off your exhaust compressor housing and check your center section. When my internal stinger came loose it sent some weld/metal through the exhaust housing and did some damage to the fins that you could only see when the exhaust housing was off.

I hope you dont have the same misfortune.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
CPI Pipe

I also use a cpi pipe on my 04 Rev 800. I just blew the seams apart on the stock junk one after the other. No probs with the CPI pipe.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I have used the cpi pipes a couple time just make sure that you get the stock lenth pipe. Mike has a turbo spec pipe that will not pull 8300 rpms irt will only pull 7800 no matter what you do. :face-icon-small-con

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with Neil's Performance Pipes. His pipe is custom built to my sleds turbo design specs and he is in Canada....so no huge border hassles or long waits or extra costs.I get tired of making calls to customs or Canada Post or UPS or....well you get the picture. His pipe is more than the CPI but I have heard great things about him and if it breaks he will make the repairs...again being in Canada,this is a huge plus. This damn sled is going to break my bank yet....lol...but when its finally tuned, it will be worth it. I will post some pice when I get it.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Hey shawn...I had the same thing happen and went with the cpi pipe...it works really well...Your going to want to take off your exhaust compressor housing and check your center section. When my internal stinger came loose it sent some weld/metal through the exhaust housing and did some damage to the fins that you could only see when the exhaust housing was off.

I hope you dont have the same misfortune.

Did you have to replace parts? At what cost? Where did you get them?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with Neil's Performance Pipes. His pipe is custom built to my sleds turbo design specs and he is in Canada....so no huge border hassles or long waits or extra costs.I get tired of making calls to customs or Canada Post or UPS or....well you get the picture. His pipe is more than the CPI but I have heard great things about him and if it breaks he will make the repairs...again being in Canada,this is a huge plus. This damn sled is going to break my bank yet....lol...but when its finally tuned, it will be worth it. I will post some pice when I get it.

I hear Neils pipes are great!! i think your sled might have cost yoy less if your builder would have given you some support.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Jake started out with great customer support....but he is nowhere to be found now. It seems that we all want turbos and try to do it the most economical way possible,which is great,BUT there will be unforseen costs later.I.E.the stock pipe. We all assumed that if you got your stock pipe welded at all the seams it would be fine. I went another step and had it all ceramic coated..$200. First ride out at 14lbs boost and the stinger becomes detached inside the pipe....now there is 200 bucks down the drain. This seems to be a common thing. I would suggest to all of you out there that have a turbo xp or is going to build one to spend the cash now and get the right pipe...which ever one that is.

Because I didnt know the pipe was ****ed I started chasing jetting problems or leaks or any other thing that would cause my sled to run lean and rich and not idle and over idle all at the same time.Many hours of wrenching and no time sledding!!!! I really hope that the pipe was indeed my problem.

Spend the money,buy the pipe and forego this problem.

Finally, I just want to say that it is because of this site and the people that I have talked to on here that I have been able to deal with these issues. Without it,I would indeed be lost...Thanks to you all.

So,now I will pull my turbo off and see if there is any internal damage. Just another day in the shop with good tunes and good Canadian whisky....Oh JOY...lol...

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I sold my stock pipe a long time ago. I bought a slp pipe and got a decent price out of the stocker to someone that wrecked their sled. sold the slp setup and got the cpi turbo pipe when I built the turbo system. My pipe cracked the first day out. had it welded up and it split a few days latter. then I had all the seams that were stamped/welded (Not a normal bead weld) welded up by the local shop I use. header wraped it and used several stainless hose clamps on the expansion chamber. No more problems. I pulled the header wrap off to check the pipe at the begining of this year. All the seams looked good. re-wraped it and put it back on. The header wrap would come apart if pulled on hard. It fell all apart after a few rides. Engine compartment full of fibers now. Just ordered some dei titanium header wrap and will have to wrap it again.
When my pipe was cracked it would run fine part throttle and off boost. It would sputter really bad and not pull rpms when trying to give it full throttle. I got a set of rage cages from boyseen and put them in without touching them. One of the reeds was not tightened or loctited and the reeds came loose. It ran the same way as a cracked pipe. I presure tested it and no leaks. Checked carbs and then pulled the carb boots and saw the reeds fell out.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
The reed thing also happened to my buddy. I checked mine and they are good. Double checked any possible leaks around carbs,boots,reeds,screws,gaskets,hoses,clamps anything else that could create a problem. Talked to friends and running out of ideas aside from replacing carbs. Hopefully pipe was the problem.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I ran a set of boyseen turbo reeds in the stock cages all last year with no problems. I wanted to try the rage cages. I have heard that some have had problems with them though. I put them in and will just have to see how long they last. I think they work good. Main thing I want them for is because they go up into the carb boot aways and hopefully help suport the carb boots. I had one carb boot seperate last year. got a set of girdles from turbo performance last year. tore my sled all apart the begining of this year to check things out and found out one of the carb boots had seperated.
Sled runs great. great throttle responce and lots of power. let a friend ride it. his sled has a slp pipe, and head. I had that setup before the turbo and it runs great. he said my sled ran just like a all motor sled, except with a lot more power. This is on 7lbs and pump. I put one gallon of 107 motor octane in every tank just to be safe. After I get the power valves figured out I will turn it up to 10lbs. already bought a 55 gallon drum of 107 motor octane fuel. plan on runing 25% 107 with premium non ethanol pump.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Blew the stinger out of my pipe today. Pulled the turbo apart and was LUCKY, no dammage!!! This is my second pipe blown stinger. One on a Bikeman 880, then this one. I think Doo must not weld them in very well at all. I will give Neil's a call. I heard theirs pulls RPM etc. good option.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Cpi makes turbo kits for the xp and rides turbo xp's. They made turbo kits for the rev and rode turbo rev's before the xp came out. I would sure hope they make a better turbo pipe for the xp then niels.

G
Apr 23, 2008
cpi makes a very good turbo pipe,
neil will build you one that is specific to your set up.

the general customer runs the stock cylinder.
The hardcore turbo guys are running turbo specific port times and heads, these guys will benefit from Neils hand tuned pipe..

Canuckleheads xp kit reved right into the limiter, I think the ones bryce is refering to were tuned wrong and did not make the heat to carry rpm..

Gus

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
How much on average does a Neils pipe cost? Also CPI pipe?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Yes I do. I have not tried any other pipes, but my sled runs great.
It is alot lighter then the stock pipe. Like posted earlier their are some seams on the fat section that I would have gone over with a normal welder. I should have, but never complained to cpi about my pipe cracking. I don't know if they still make it the same way or have made the welds better.
Take it to some one that does powder coating and have them aluminium oxide blast it. then use vht flame proof paint. You can sand it yourself, but it is time consuming. After it is blasted the paint sticks very well and does not run very easily. if it is not sanded well the vht paint runs easily.
Header wrap it and put a couple stainless hose clamps over the fat section of the pipe. Header wraping it is a pain in the ***, but works good. I wraped mine last year. took it off begining of this year just to check it. No cracks. put the wrap back on and it fell apart. I talked to some one else that said if it has ben on for a long time and you take it off do not put it back on. put new stuff on. it was fine still on the sled, but it was brittle and falling apart after I took it off.
I just ordered this earlier today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380271267890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Looks to be the best stuff and cheapest price i could find.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I run a Dynoport pipe on my REV. I built my own turbo kit so the tail section is all custom. I've had great luck with them on my ZX too. My XP is stock so I can't comment about that chassis. With the stock pipe seemed like every 2 rides I was chasing cracks.

Premium Features