• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loss of one of our Greatest Supporters

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
I just received this email. I don't have any further info at this time, but will continue to look. It should be in the Bozeman Chronicle tomorrow.
To all,

It's with great sorrow that I send this e-mail, on Sunday 4/6/08 The Gallatin Valley Snowmobile Assoc., Montana Snowmobile Assoc., Trans Montana, all motorized outdoors users, and myself, lost one of our greatest supporters and friend. Sam Harvey of Bozeman went off a cornice in the Gravelly Mountains and sustained fatal injuries. We will all miss his "STRONG OUTSPOKEN" commitment in fighting for our access.

Kemp

RIP Sam

Let's keep his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers and continue is fight for our rights.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
R.I.P. Sam

Only met Sam once but he seemed to be a very great guy. From the one time I talked to him I could tell that he truly loved the sport. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
Thoughts & prayers out to Cheryl and the rest of Sams family!
from Little Belts Snomobile Club.:brokenheart:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Bozeman Chronicle----------

Apr 8, 2:01 AM EDT

Gallatin Gateway man dies in snowmobile accident

Advertisement

BUTTE, Mont. (AP) -- A 69-year-old man was killed in a snowmobile accident near the West Fork cabin area about 40 miles southwest of Ennis, authorities said.

Samuel D. Harvey, of Gallatin Gateway, died shortly after Sunday's accident, Madison County Sheriff Dave Schenk said.

The accident occurred sometime after 4 p.m. when Harvey drove over a steep snow drift.

"He nosed his snowmobile into the ground causing the (handlebars) to impact into his abdomen," said Schenk, who added that Harvey died before a rescue helicopter could reach him.

---

MT Standard ------------

A 69-year-old Gallatin Gateway man was killed in a snowmobile accident Sunday afternoon in Madison County, about 40 miles southwest of Ennis.

Samuel D. Harvey was pronounced dead at the scene after he crashed the snowmobile he was driving sometime after 4 p.m. near the West Fork cabin area, according to Madison County Sheriff Dave Schenk. The accident happened when Harvey drove his snowmobile over a steep snow drift.

“He nosed his snowmobile into the ground causing the (handlebars) to impact into his abdomen,” Schenk said.

Harvey died from blunt force trauma to the abdomen.

Schenk said the victim was still alive after the accident, but died before the rescue helicopter could reach him. The helicopter, which flew in from Bozeman, airlifted Harvey’s body out of the area. Schenk said another person on a snowmobile called in the accident to 911.

Reporter John Grant Emeigh may be reached via e-mail at john.emeigh@lee.net or by telephone, 496-5511

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
AK Hockey, you asked who he was.

I have only met him once at a rally at the capital. But I have known the name for some time. He has fought hard for our snowmobiling rights and for multiple use rights here in Montana. I could probably say much more, but I would rather someone who knew him personally tell us what an awesome man he was. I just know he has done a lot for our sport and he will be greatly missed in many battles to come.

Ride on Sam

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
very sorry to hear...we were in the same area, and did not hear of any tragedy...

RIP

Premium Features