• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

viper vs m9000

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Pro's and Cons

Lets here about the differences in these two sleds. A couple right away would be Yamaha clutch superior to cat clutch
also Cat track superior to Yamaha track
Weight differences? Apples to Apples with turbo and intercooler on the viper?
Who had ridden both? What was your impression

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have both.

The track is the same from Cat to Yamaha, just the clutches are different.

The Viper feels like it weighs 100 lbs less than the M9000.

The M9000 feels like it has 100 more HP ( mine actually does)

The torque is significantly more obvious on the M9000.

Weight is the big place where the 9000 loses this comparison and power is where it wins.

The M9000 vibrates more, requires less to bump up to bigger HP, and has more issues with the drivetrain so far.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Pro's and Cons

Lets here about the differences in these two sleds. A couple right away would be Yamaha clutch superior to cat clutch
also Cat track superior to Yamaha track
Weight differences? Apples to Apples with turbo and intercooler on the viper?
Who had ridden both? What was your impression

LOL I converted an XTX Viper to an MTX Viper and I had to laugh at the thought that these two are even close. The M9000 is about the same weight as an APEX! And topheavy, no more topheavy Nytro like turds for me. No comparrison at all in my mind, would be a closer comparrison to M8 and Mountain Viper than comparing to M9000 in my opinion......yours may vary.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Boy you sure said somethin' there partner.

The only difference between those two sleds (viper and 7000) would be the clutches?

Or is the rear suspension rails/mounting position etc. that Yamaha came up with different than what Cat will use on the M7000? I figured they would be the exact same (and maybe they should also run that on the M9000)

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes. Same chassis. All the Proclimbs and Vipers have the same chassis.

The M800, the Viper, and the M9000 all have a distinctly different feel to them. The 800 is the lightest and most nimble, the Viper is 2nd and the 9000 has a heavier more "chipped, liifted diesel truck" feel to it.

I had posted this before, but if you know bikes the 800 is like a 250 2 stroke, the Viper is a 350 four stroke and the 9000 is a 450 four stroke.

The 9000 is a great sled and I like it a lot. For about $1000 you can do a 215 tune, some skis and a lightweight muffler and have a rocket! To get to that point on the Viper it is going to be closer to $5000 in upgrades. The Viper initiates a sidehill easier and has a lighter feel to it.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Difference between M7000 and Viper is clutch and the M7000 only comes in a 153" track. That's about it isn't it Racinstation??? Yamaha clutch and 162" makes it very appealing to me. I have a 2014 M8000 and really like the sled. If the Viper is close to it I would think it a winner. BTW, I have a different opinion of the M9000 than Racinstation. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-win Of course the ones I rode were not set up like his, but I did not like them at all.

Sam

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
On the 9000, the suspension and clutching setup can make or break the deal in a big way.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Difference between M7000 and Viper is clutch and the M7000 only comes in a 153" track. That's about it isn't it Racinstation??? Yamaha clutch and 162" makes it very appealing to me. I have a 2014 M8000 and really like the sled. If the Viper is close to it I would think it a winner. BTW, I have a different opinion of the M9000 than Racinstation. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-win Of course the ones I rode were not set up like his, but I did not like them at all.

Sam

I have a 2014 M8 ltd and a 2014 Viper converted to an MTX. Very similar feel on the handling end, M8 rips mid range and Viper rips from standing start. I may actually trade in the M8 and get the 2015 Mountain Viper with Turbo.

Oh, stock Viper clutching really sucks which is kind of ironic that the 2014 M8 clutch works better out of the box.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
XTX clutching in the mountains would suck right? It's not weighted for that elevation.

No, Viper came with a diff belt (8jp) and diff clutching. The quick fix is run the Nytro belt (8DN). All versions of Viper have this issue which is ironic that the marriage of Cat and Yamaha the only issue I found was the Yamaha clutch set up. I went from slower than a Nytro (with a can) to being able to blow away same Nytro with clutch and belt change in the Viper. If you demo a Viper stock you will probably be disapointed in the power.

I believe Racinstation has a clutch kit for the Viper. Racinstation?

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
I was fortunate enough to go riding with an owner of a Cat dealership and we had a chat about it. right now the 7000 is only offered in a 153 but by release time there might be a 162 offered.

What i've heard for difference between 7000 and viper mtx was going to be the clutching, and yamaha had thrown some more metal in their chassis over the cat. I'll bet money there is a slightly different feel between the two as well.

Premium Features