• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need a realtor's help

W
Nov 21, 2007
Mine isn't doing jack for me. No flyers, open houses, anda carpy listing. And today I saw he was listing the same unit, though not with the perks of mine, for more money and a better listing. I've gone over my ESLA agreement and can't find where he has to perform.

I WANT to fire him since's he hasn't done squat and I believe he's lied to me.

Anyone, what can I do????

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Kathy,

He doesn't. He has to do a minimum to stay out of trouble which he has done just by listing.

Don't get to hung up on the open house thing. They're pretty much useless and about the only reason realtors do them is because sellers expect them. I've told my agent for the last three listings that I don't expect one, don't want one. I want the effort put into other areas.

You can call the office that he works out of and let them know where you stand. Of course, I'd talk to him first, tell him what I see that I have problems with and try to work it out/get him to back out, whatever prior.

Market is sloooooooooooooooooooooow....

I
Feb 2, 2008
Kuna, ID
I would definitely talk to him and let him know how you feel. Like said above, open houses are pretty useless. I only put out flyers if the seller insists. The theory is if you don't put out flyers people will be forced to call the number on the sign and then the agent can hopefully get a showing instead of the flyer getting mixed in with all the other flyers they collected that day. The number one reason for slow listings is the price. With the slow market their is a lot of options for buyers and every one of them is looking for a good deal. Hopefully you'll get some more people looking due to the recent rate drop. Good luck.

W
Nov 21, 2007
Kathy,

He doesn't. He has to do a minimum to stay out of trouble which he has done just by listing.

Don't get to hung up on the open house thing. They're pretty much useless and about the only reason realtors do them is because sellers expect them. I've told my agent for the last three listings that I don't expect one, don't want one. I want the effort put into other areas.

You can call the office that he works out of and let them know where you stand. Of course, I'd talk to him first, tell him what I see that I have problems with and try to work it out/get him to back out, whatever prior.

Market is sloooooooooooooooooooooow....

I know the market is slow. But why's he listed the other place in a listing way nicer than mine, and asking more, when I have a better unit and more parking. I live only blocks away and know there have never been flyers, despite what he says. I check every week. I know other realtors who'd be busting a nut to sell my place. It'sgorgeous. He's not.

Last edited:
G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
It'sgorgeous. He's not.

Well there you have it..!! LMAO, getting down to the brass tacks.

Just a thought, but if he listed the other place for more, is it over priced?? to make those sellers feel good? Won't do them any good probably though. An over priced property will sit, not get any showings. The sweet spot is hard to find.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Where are you located?

Open houses are a joke, they draw in mostly lookie Lou's and nosey neighbors that are wondering how their house compares.

As far as listing another unit for more money, that is your choice. Tell him you want it listed higher. THIS IS YOUR HOUSE. You need to talk to him with your concerns.

I think you can change agents but you might have to wait 30 days before a re-listing. If you let me know where you are I can find out more, it will change depending where you live.

You can always talk to another agent and let them know your problem and how you want to change agents, they can tell you the legalities involved.

Another option would be to talk to the Broker of the office he is at.

W
Nov 21, 2007
Where are you located?

Open houses are a joke, they draw in mostly lookie Lou's and nosey neighbors that are wondering how their house compares.

As far as listing another unit for more money, that is your choice. Tell him you want it listed higher. THIS IS YOUR HOUSE. You need to talk to him with your concerns.

I think you can change agents but you might have to wait 30 days before a re-listing. If you let me know where you are I can find out more, it will change depending where you live.

You can always talk to another agent and let them know your problem and how you want to change agents, they can tell you the legalities involved.

Another option would be to talk to the Broker of the office he is at.

I'm in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. I have a call into one other agent, and the names of many moare. He hasn't even put a For Sale sign up in the window.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
Think about it...I lesser home for more money only HELPS sell your home. When a buyer gets their agent to run an area with what they are looking for and the 2 units come up and the buyer sees what you see that will only aid in the sell of yours.

"Take me's" are nice to have and the for sale sign is a must...Talk to your agent first then his broker.

But if your market is anything like ours I hope you are not in a MUST SELL situation. Cause our market sucks!!!

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I am a broker and to be honest with you...you ARE binded to what you signed however, with that said I have NEVER not let someone out of there deal. No broker wants a hostile client that is not happy. After all what good would it do the broker to spend his money trying to sell your place just so he could work with a un-coopertive seller. Not saying you are but that would be the type of relationship you two would have if he held you to the agreement. Just call him up and say you want to cancel.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
First of all, there are dang few buyers right now. You gotta price right and you are probably gonna be offered much less than you are willing to believe. You say unit, is it a condo or single fam res? Location, location, location, is the other place in your neighborhood? Or same unit in diff area. Make sure your place is clean always. Also, take your personal emotions out of the deal, it is just a house even though all your kids may of been born there, it doesn't matter to the next people. Chances are your place isn't the best deal out there. (There are so many units on the market) Open houses are useful only right after coming on the market, then worthless. Make sure though it gets on the broker open at least once. That's when agents tour certain areas on certain days looking at listings. I also like looking at CMA's, comparable market analysis. This gives you a list of what's on the market, what is pending and what has sold (closed) over the last 6 months. Make sure it's being advertised in local papers and those listing mags. I am not an agent but I pay the bill when they don't sell. But usually firing the agent isn't the solution, proper pricing is.
PS, I have also in certain properties offered a bonus $$ for the selling agent. Your guy isn't going to sell your place, someone else will. I hate doing it but sometimes you have a tough sell.

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
If you bought your home in the last 3 years you will be LUCKY to re-coop your purchase price and remember you will have to pull commissions out of that as well. This is a down market. One tool that works to your advantage rather than RAISING price to try to recover commission is to use a company that offers a more competitive plan. This lets you price your home better and keep it on market with all companies.
This is the company that I own and here are some in your area. Hope you have one close.
Heres a linkhttp://www.helpusell.com/office_locator_map.asp?state=WA

hus.jpg

S

Superjag

Jan 30, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Here's the thing, and this is just my .02. While there is a fair amount of truth in a number of the posts above, the point is that a person has to have confidence and feel good about their realtor or any other professional with which he or she may work. Clearly that is not the case here, as she not only doesn't think he is doing "jack" for her, but she specifically states that she thinks he is lying to her. Not really the basis for a good working relationship. Also, for the record, she didn't really ask "Hey all you Snowest geniuses, can you tell me why my condo isn't selling even though you probably have never seen it and don't really know my market or asking price?". Her question appeared to be related to firing her agent and/or breaking the listing agreement.

I'm not a realtor, nor do I play one on tv, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night either, but I do know a little bit about contracts, and in my experience, there is almost always a way out, especially with performance contracts.

Wired, is there nothing in the contract regarding each parties specific duties/ responsibilities? Seems like there would have to be at least some basic definition of what is to be expected in terms of performance by each side? You may be able to argue that you are not getting what you contracted for. At the very least, if you have any reasonable basis for your belief that he or she is lying to you, that in itself may give you grounds to cancel the contract.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Wired1, you want to get into the rental business? I think you are just a craigslist post away from being in it. I would think about that route, if only to tide you over during a slow economy. I now from experience rentals are flying..... and competition is pretty good right now.

Just a thought, but if you are surviving with both right now, I think you could handle it. Just think of it as your retirement/supplemental income. Renter pays interest, you pay principle, you take tax benefits of loan on condo....

raceu4it

Lifetime Membership
don't know it works there, but when i list someone else's home and they're not happy, i'll gladly cancel the listing, no use fighting over it, for sale sign should have gone up immediately, i always pound mine before i leave. as to price, it's 100% a buyers marker, and there looking for the biggest bang for the buck, regardless of price range. not to high jack this thread, any other realtors, want to post there website for comparsion sake of there local market? click into mine and get a idea of calgary real estate markethttp://www.dustydancer.com

Premium Features