• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How long do your AFR sensors last.

Y
Jan 4, 2009
Just wondering how long they last and which system is best.
When I started with 2 stroke race motors I was told they would only last an hour or so due to the oil fouling them. Also leaded race gas is very hard on them. I only have egt on my 800 dragon turbo but have always wanted AFR.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Running 100 ll av gas. Only few hundred miles so I got egts. Gunna try the koso 2 stroke adapter this year. An also run a switch to my power wire an keep it turned off till engine gets good an hot is supose to help.

Edit: didnt notice I was in poo section but still the same basics haha

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I have a 1000miles on my mtxl . Did a calibration last nite . Seems good

I had the same experience with mine. Running race gas or 100LL all year. I just swapped it out in the off season as preventative maintenence. I put on about a 1000 boonedocking miles as well.

1) I ran an Arctic Cat M8 Turbo running 50/50 Premium and AvGas for 3600 miles on the same sensor. My AFR readings never jumped around or led me to believe that the sensor was failing.
2) That Same sensor I ran on my Arctic Cat went on my Turbo Pro when I began building it and rode for ~200 miles to see how it would behave. After that point, I installed a new sensor just to see how the readings might change -- and I saw absolutely the same AFR on my AEM gauge day after day. That sensor now is in my shop as a spare.
3) I built my father a 2010 Boondocker Turbo Arctic Cat M8 also with a wideband sensor - and he now has 2800 miles on his machine with that same sensor.
---I will note that how the sensor is installed is very key to their longevity. On my turbos, I utilize the HBX bung extender on each sled and also place the sensor in a near vertical orientation.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
this is my first year on a turbo and using AFR setup as well, so wondered the samething...so good to see these kind of results.

running an innovative AFR..i also have the extended bung with heat sink...should be pretty good pkg. :)))))

image-3.jpg

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
What's the bennifet of the heat sink bung?

And random/off topic for the thread, so maybe a new thread, but is that a CMX? And if so could you post up a LOT more pics?

Last edited:
m1k-

The benefit of the heat sink bung is that it aids in prolonging the life of the actual sensor. The ceramic inside the sensor is designed to have an operating exhaust gas temperature never exceeding 1300*F, and the sensor housing should never be hotter than 900*F. To accurately measure the air:fuel content of your exhaust, the sensor Must be hotter than the gases flowing around it -- yes the sensor pre-heats itself using the 12V power that you've tapped into. If you do not let your sled run for a little bit of time (to allow current to flow heating the sensor) and the sensor has not heated up sufficiently before you hammer down the throttle (throwing hot exhaust at a cold sensor), this can also degrade your sensor as well.
The oil-rich exhaust of a 2 stroke also fouls the sensors more quickly.
Add in any leaded fuel and now we're really making life hard for these sensors.
By adding the bung extender, you can mitigate all of these adverse affects listed above. It shields the sensor from heavy deposits, and moves it away from the extreme heat of the exhaust to keep it more in the designed temperature range.

~T.J.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
What's the bennifet of the heat sink bung?

And random/off topic for the thread, so maybe a new thread, but is that a CMX? And if so could you post up a LOT more pics?

Great info above about the heat sink!! Thank you..

As for the CMX comment, if ur referring to me.. Lol..no it's my 06 rmk 900 turbo sled..lots of pics in my build thread in my signature ;)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
One reason I like the innovate gauge is they carry the sensors at places like auto zone and carry a year warranty so if it goes bad just go swap it.

My understanding was that regardless of the gauge kit setup, (AEM, INNOVATE, etc) they all use a BOSCH 0-2 Sensor

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
They do all use a Bosch sensor but not all autoparts carry the same connection to connect back to the AEM or Innovate gauge. But the one on Innovate is very common so its easy to get a spare or replacement.

Premium Features