• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 dodge cummins ?s

D

Dosch99

Nov 7, 2009
I purchased an 06 Dodge mega cab. First diesel i have owned i have a few questions.
1. what are most of you getting for mpg drove it back friday crappy roads speed varied 45 to 65 mph. gauge show getting 22 mpg. hand calculate showed about about 16 mpg is are those gauges off that far?

2. do you guys pull with overdrive off or tow haul on. I will be pulling a 4place trailer an sometimes a 26 ft enclosed.

3. do you run straight number 1 fuel in winter or a blend or #2 with an additive.

Thanks

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
1. yes, it will always read way too high. It shouldn't even be there.
2. If it starts lugging in OD or shifting back and forth from OD to 3rd, shut off OD. Otherwise just pull in 4th, the trans will not get that warm.
3. run a blend, maybe additive to be safe, straight #1 sucks for mileage and power. (bring an extra fuel filter, you never know)

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
1. yes, it will always read way too high. It shouldn't even be there.
2. If it starts lugging in OD or shifting back and forth from OD to 3rd, shut off OD. Otherwise just pull in 4th, the trans will not get that warm.
3. run a blend, maybe additive to be safe, straight #1 sucks for mileage and power. (bring an extra fuel filter, you never know)

100% correct on everything. If it gets super super cold run #1 but that's it. U should be getting 16-18 MPG stock depending on miles and if its stock or not.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
14 mpgs are to be expected at 75mph and when you hook your trailer up to it look for no more than 10mpgs let us know what it gets for mpgs when towing.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
#4 Injector line

Check the number 4 injector line. They are notorious on these motors for coming loose and then cracking.

Check the front driveline to make sure the CV joint is good. There are 2 u-joints in there. They aren't the problem it's the carrier bearing in the middle of it that goes bad because you can't grease it.

Tranny temp guage and lift pump pressure guage are good additions.

The Mileage guage is referred to as the Lie-O-Meter. Hand calculation is the only way to be sure you have anything that is accurate on fuel mileage.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
Truth on everything people have posted. I Usually throw it in to tow/haul and go from there. I have a smarty tuner so that helps with the tranny hunting for a gear.
Be sure to keep up on the fuel filter known to cause some problems if they go to long in between changes.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
My lie-o-meter is so close to hand caulculation it's scary, but you have to reset it (not just the trip reset) every tank full unless you are looking for a multi tank average.

I was looking for a good used 06 or 07 5.9 before I bought my 11 3500 and couldn't find one at a decent price. That should make you an awesome truck!!

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
14 mpgs are to be expected at 75mph and when you hook your trailer up to it look for no more than 10mpgs let us know what it gets for mpgs when towing.

I've never seen that low of mileage with my 07 5.9 G56 truck driving empty. I've gotten down below 15mpg doing 85+mph into a headwind. Otherwise 75mph = 17-18mpg in the summer.
I have one of the rare ones that the lie o meter was only a little optimistic with stock tires. Now calculating for 285's or 33s puts the mileage guage real close.
Comparing the LB7 Dmax to the 3rd Gen Cummins, the Dodge leaves a bit on the table for creature comforts and ride quality, but has beena solid truck.
Only unexpected problem with the Dodge in 100k mi (besides the #4 injector line, just go buy one and keep it in the truck) was a bad steering box, but $150 at Napa cured that.
Maybe I got a good one, but no electronic issues, squeaks, rattles, bad seats. Just a good all around truck that pulls like a beast.

D

Dosch99

Nov 7, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys. Taking it on a road trip march 23 to the big horns. Hope the snow is good!!

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
I've never seen that low of mileage with my 07 5.9 G56 truck driving empty. I've gotten down below 15mpg doing 85+mph into a headwind. Otherwise 75mph = 17-18mpg in the summer.
I have one of the rare ones that the lie o meter was only a little optimistic with stock tires. Now calculating for 285's or 33s puts the mileage guage real close.

that's pretty darn good considering you have the g56 trans. The 6th gear ratio is .79 to 1 compared to .73 to 1 in the old nv5600 trans.
The g56 makes a lot of rpm's at 75 mph.
In my '05 with the nv 5600, I'm looking at ~2200rpm at 75 mph. I get roughly 18 hwy mpg unloaded without the extra 3-400 rpm's.

Premium Features