• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Homebuilt 2015 YZ450f Turbo Kit for Timbersled for under 1500 bucks!!

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Nice to hear!!! i got my short muffler from ali express for next to noting ! check them out they have all kinds of screaming deals! i like your airbox! how is it going seeing up the additional dynojet fuel module ?

I picked up a short muffler from Amazon a while ago but was nervous about putting it on and having it hanging out there unsupported so I thought I would leave it off and run without it if it was possible....but it is wayyyy too loud. I have my exhaust canted up at an angle now though so if I put it on it will basically follow the stock exhaust routing so it will work out nicely.

As for the Secondary fuel controller......I got completely lucky! I randomly ordered one from a CBR600 thinking it didn't matter which one I bought because I was going to have to splice in a new injector connector anyway.....but low and behold I got it yesterday and the injector plugs on the unit are identical to the ones used on the Yamaha so I won't have to source the plug. I have three extra sets attached to the unit haha. I will split the signal coming from the ECU and run one lead to the PCV and one to the Secondary Fuel Module and then I can start tuning.

The injector tops though, they are backordered until mid December....so I need to try and find one at a dealer and the nearest one is in AZ.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
Does anybody know, will a plenum actually do its job in that location? I understood that they need to be right on the throttle body. The KMS plenum sits under the plastics right on top of the throttle body, but there is very limited space there. I am curious if the plenum will still be effective in that location.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Does anybody know, will a plenum actually do its job in that location? I understood that they need to be right on the throttle body. The KMS plenum sits under the plastics right on top of the throttle body, but there is very limited space there. I am curious if the plenum will still be effective in that location.

I'm not running a plenum just 2" piping from my turbo with smooth curves for better flow. i have 0 Lag. the bike begins to boost at 2800-3000rpm depending on loading of the engine. I'm only running 4.8psi for low end tuning purposes then i will ramp it up slowly.

(throttle in red, Manifold Pressure in Black)

image1-8.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
That is awesome! I do believe, however, that while your results look ok, that they could be better with a plenum. The explanation that swedenturbo gave makes total sense. You won't see the lag or the intake pressure pulses on a boost gauge but it is there. Your results are promising and I can't wait to see what mine look like with a plenum.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I am going to also be another vote for add as much of a plenum as possible in the location of the stock airbox. While under steady roll on throttle the straight intake pipe works acceptably aggressive throttle chops ALWAYS favor a plenum.

I have built a lot of 1 off turbo stuff and moderate to large plenum size ALWAYS nets better results. Even building in strange resivours plumbed off the side of the intake tube (like the exhaust manifolds on some of the ktm's with the little tumor on the side. These resivours allow the motor to get a "gulp" of air when stabbing the throttle out of boost.

It takes heat to spool a turbo and if their is no pressurized air available in the long skinny intake tract(see off boost to WOT) it will starve the motor for air, so your going to have a very limited combustion event, means less heat, less spool.

If you logged intake vacuum on an NA bike vs yours, doing idle to full throttle stabs super aggressively you would see your system will create SIGNIFICANTLY higher vacuum numbers as the motor has to suck way harder to draw in air.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Also for secondary injector placement, having it setup as a "shower" injector mounted high in your intake tract (while still pointed at the throttle body) will net the best results, this slightly longer distance allows better atomization and heat transfer. Many sport bike applications run staggered injectors with small injectors close to motor then tapering to higher airbox mounted injectors to feed fuel on the top end.

Your definitely on the right track, just a few little tricks to pick up so you don't have to relearn what a few of us have spent a lot of time messing with already.

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Also for secondary injector placement, having it setup as a "shower" injector mounted high in your intake tract (while still pointed at the throttle body) will net the best results, this slightly longer distance allows better atomization and heat transfer. Many sport bike applications run staggered injectors with small injectors close to motor then tapering to higher airbox mounted injectors to feed fuel on the top end.

Your definitely on the right track, just a few little tricks to pick up so you don't have to relearn what a few of us have spent a lot of time messing with already.

Thanks man, I agree I wanted it to shoot down the throat so that all the fuel didn't end up on the wall of the intake and putting it after two bends in the pipe will create a swirling effect on the air which should help with atomization. I attached an image of where my second injector is with relation to the stock injector. What do you think?

2017-11-30_11-07-47.jpg

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
That is awesome! I do believe, however, that while your results look ok, that they could be better with a plenum. The explanation that swedenturbo gave makes total sense. You won't see the lag or the intake pressure pulses on a boost gauge but it is there. Your results are promising and I can't wait to see what mine look like with a plenum.

I'm going to try and fab up a box that uses the stock "Funnel" boot to the throttle body. hopefully it holds!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Look like you guys are on the right track, best advice for a plenum/airbox is even just put a larger piece of pipe (3" and use a silicone reducer to the throttle body (trim it so its short as possible) then run the larger tubing up until it hits the airbox lit and cap it, then feed the charge tube into the side wherever it hits. It will be like a 2L bottle sitting there which should help a ton and the silicone reducer in the bottom should allow a good flow path where it needs it.

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
stwalter

why did you go steel on intake charge tube ?
wouldn't alum. be better ?

My first choice was aluminum but I had very limited time to get this done. I bought an aluminum 90 thinking I could make that work and quickly found out that I couldn't. It was thanksgiving weekend and no places were open so I had to make the call to use galvanized exhaust pipe which realistically isn't THAT much heavier than aluminum in that quantity. I bet that pipe is about .25 lbs heavier than the aluminum would have been. If I would have had it my way I would have a tight mandrel bent aluminum pipe but I couldn't find anyone to do it for me short notice. Looks like I have something to do for next season :)

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Well I got my lockout clutch and head studs installed. The lockout comes with a 2" spacer for your clutch cover that now protrudes into the area my right foot would occupy. Looks like I will finally have to use those peg extensions I bought a while back. The lockout was super easy to install and looks pretty trick. Very simple design but looks great. Next is to install my injector and electronics.

20171204_162233.jpg 20171204_162241.jpg 20171204_171742.jpg 20171204_172650.jpg

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Started the tuning phase a week ago. I wasn't having success at all with the secondary fuel module from dynojet...I think it was because I had my signal input wires reversed since the plug on the secondary fuel module and the plug on the power commander are reversed from each other. Coincidentally I tried something and it seems to be working really well. I had already split the injector signal coming from the ECU so I plugged one lead into the primary injector and plugged the secondary lead into the PowerCommander with the out lead of the PCV going to the secondary injector. I turned all fueling to the secondary injector off and started tuning for boost on the PCV. I have gotten up to 14psi of boost and my AFR has been hovering around 12:1!!!! That is what I input in as a target.

Do you guys think that this is a good target or should I richen it up a little? At 10 psi my target is at 11.7:1. I am just shocked that this works since all of the big turbo kit manufacturers are using separate modules for primary and secondary, presumably because it gains you more control but in reality you want the primary injector to behave like normal....and your secondary to just add to it as needed and it seems like that is exactly what is happening... I am seeing really lean areas but upon closer inspection I noticed that it only leans out immediately following me closing the throttle.

What do you guys think?

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Every engine is different. On the single cylinders I have worked on they all liked an afr leaner than what I would run on a car. 12 is probably ok.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

C

Chern_889

Nov 30, 2007
SK, Canada
So I'm kinda confused on what you are using now for secondary injector control? Are you still using the dynojet controller or you just Y'd off the injector output from the mainbox and essentially running the injectors in parallel, and not using any other controller? Some pics and an update would be awesome!

Premium Features