• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 pro engine got hot and locked up - why?

R
Jul 21, 2016
my 13 600 pro went down last winter, and I don't know what caused it. we unloaded off the trailer and drove a really rough ditch for about 1 mile. slow speeds, scratchers probably were not doing much, but it was slow going on real easy on the throttle. we got off the 1 mile rough ditch and drove another 1-2 miles on trail and the engine gets boggy for about 5 seconds and stops. I go to pull the rope and its locked up.

I let it cool off for 10 minutes and now I can pull the rope. I pull it, get the gauge lit up, toggle to the engine temp display, and I show 180. I take it in the trees, trench around, and watch the temp to down to 125-130. it ran good, had normal power, etc... drove it that whole day without it skipping a beat.

day 2 - we unload at a different spot and drive down a trail. it is warm out (spring riding), but I was watching my temp gauge. it stayed around 125 for the first few miles, so I stopped staring at it. about 5 miles down the trail it bogs down and dies. pull rope is tight, engine is tight. I let it cool down for, pull the rope, and it starts. it started hard, but it started. temp gauge showed in that 180 range again.

I decided I better load the sled up and figure out whats wrong with it. we headed back to the trailer. this time I had a noticeable loss of power, but it still ran good enough for me to say "screw it, ill make it back". well, I got about few miles and it progressively started getting worse and worse. the engine was really working to maintain speed on the trail. im sure the bad cylinder was loosing compression.

we decided to tow it back the rest of the way. it will still start and run, but it sounds like it is running on 1 cylinder (obviously). so what are the possible causes for this? I know I can take it apart and fix it, but I don't get what caused it.

is 180 the point these will lock up due to thermal expansion?

I have proper coolant level. I use good scratchers. I have driven this same sled in worse conditions and never had cooling issues unless driving real slow.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
sometimes to slow is worse.no airflow and no snow getting up on the coolers.gotta watch the gage.before it gets hot turn it off for awhile.
most of the time when one locks up it needs a new piston.shouldnt keep on riding it.

R
Jul 21, 2016
i should add.........i dont need an education on should's and should-not's. its already dead, the damage is done. i know my way around a 2 stroke engine. i am just not to keen on the new fuel injected/oil injected stuff. i understand the concept of what snow does to cool it, how speed effects it, blah blah. i am mainly looking for some insight on common problems that can happen with these 600s. the engine has 600 miles on it. from the praise everyone gives them, it seems as if it should go 6000 miles

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
160 isn't even all that hot. I don't think the warning light flashes until over 200 or so. Probably not good to ride it at that temp all day, but i doubt that temp in itself was the cause of whatever your issue is.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I hate to admit it but I have hit 180+ range before with no ill effect (2015 800 Pro), spring riding, hard snow scratchers down... I believe it starts dumping extra fuel in to cool it down and/or retards timing at like 200-210. I am no expert though and I hope not to have to learn. I watch temps like a hawk though when there is any question about cooling. I just got impatient to get to better snow that time.

Sorry for your situation! The 600s are supposed to be very reliable but no engine series is 100% reliable...

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
i should add.........i dont need an education on should's and should-not's. its already dead, the damage is done.

Sounds like detonation from overheat.Gauge was was probably flashing DET but driver didn't back off, cool it down quick enough.Motor will cut power to limp mode below 5500-6000.Driver kept on it hard and now you need a top end.

I've had 3 600's with over 12K miles total and no motor failures,can't say the same for the 800's though.

Good luck

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
the way i read it was 160 after sitting and the engine unstuck.that maybe it got to hot

Premium Features