• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Elevation and High Boost

Y

YamYboy

Apr 6, 2009
SC Wisconsin
2012 silber kit at low elevation, just curious how much boost with a low comp head on 110 race gas. I know people are going to ask why, and my answer is because I can:face-icon-small-ton

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Im in the same boat....my silber kit will be here next week and im riding low elevation when im not riding out west.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Well I'm running 8 lbs on 100ll at sealevel and since I got it to quite overreving, and ground down the airbox bolt I haven't seen the det light. I'd think on 110 you ought to be able to get up there. I can't hardly stay on the sled as is, couldn't imagine another 4-5 lbs.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Well I'm running 8 lbs on 100ll at sealevel and since I got it to quite overreving, and ground down the airbox bolt I haven't seen the det light. I'd think on 110 you ought to be able to get up there. I can't hardly stay on the sled as is, couldn't imagine another 4-5 lbs.

my god 8lbs at sealevel must feel insane!!!! What weights are you running? Was the overrevving issue due to the airbox bolt?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I know a few guys on 110 running 10-14 pds at sealevel on dragon 7's and 8's....they are flat wicked.....

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
till the rods come out the bottom....lol.....:face-icon-small-coo

Look, the problem with turbos is the same as the problem that we had when nitrous first came out, its so easy to make power that everybody wants more and more, but nobody wants to find the limit and live with the result of knowing for sure where the "line" is.
Well after racing and building cars my whole life i'm gunna tell ya, this is what separates the men from the boys...hahahaha
When I ran blown alky and we won a couple championships, guys always asked whats the perfect pass? Well thats where the engine is pushed hard enough that it destroys itself 5 feet after the finish line,and the heck with the costs. Why? you ask? well simple wanna get there first or not? I ran 11-1 static with 45-58 pounds of boost (methonal) in the pro-mod (today its limited btw) and went through 12 engines in 15 races.....and won the championship..Yes we built engines for other racers and they always wanted more, and I always asked the same question "if I set the motor perfect and your 60 grand alky motor blows itself to bits are you a) gunna get pissed and stomp your foot? or b) say "get the next one out of the trailer and take 1 degree of timing out of her", good pass we learned a bunch

I wanna hear "b" , thats the correct answer for the winning team owner.

Now that i've gone totally off track i'll get back to the sled stuff..lmao, we are not racing. This is for fun. Yes egos are involved with agood shot of testosterone as well. Soooo what to do?
Well first off i'm gunna say the best thing to do is ride your butt off and become a very skilled rider..this makes up for power like nothing else does. Second learn how to dial in clutching perfect. It is amazing to me how many guys leave a huge amount on the table cause they can't dial in a clutch "spot -on"
Why would you even think about more power in your sled when you can't even take apart your clutches and know what each component does and what changing each component will do? Do you have 4-5 sets of weights and springs in the trailer? Carry your clutch press in the trailer?
Next comes chassis..can you fully dial in your shock package and get every bit out of your sled in all snow conditions? Do you know everything about the shock valving and how to change it? Do you have a few sets of shocks in the trailer to swap for different conditions? Do you have a full bottle of nitrogen with you to change pressures when testing?
How many trips do you make to good snow areas for testing only??

Well now we get to the part of boost...as I started with the first nitrous years were brutal, it was just so easy for guys to make power, all ya had to do was swap jets and you got more and more...you never had to work for hours anymore to be fast...just a biggger pill. Guys had no idea of how to adjust valves let alone build a motor but they sure could change that little pill. And then oh the bitching when it let go...lol yeah I really figured your stock 454 would live with a 500 shot of the ol NOS..hahahaha yeah right, but it happened all the time.
OK now we see the same thing with the turbos, its just so easy to turn that screw and get more boost, whats going on inside the motor? who cares!! turn the screw more...yeeeehawwww boost !!!! :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton
Can our clutch take the power?? who cares !! more boost :face-icon-small-ton do you have the best internal parts like titanium rods and billet crank? who cares !!

Is our chassis perfect?? who cares !! more boost !! Can we ride better with 300 hp? who cares!! more boost!!! Whats your plugs look,like? uh, how do I take them out?? more boost !!!! yea!!
BOOM !!! WTF??? this crappy a$$ turbo kit hurt my motor..why this should be fixed under warrenty !!I had 10% race gas in it !! :face-icon-small-coni'm only runnin 25 psi, wtf???!!! :face-icon-small-sad
OK now thats funny no matter who you are...:face-icon-small-win

It's like anything in life, if its a huge struggle to get to the top you learn huge amounts of stuff getting there, speed is no exception to this rule...it takes years of working on something making very small gains here and there in order to get better and better, quick power without knowledge is nothing more than a bandaid.
fuel cost?? It should mean nothing to you at all if your turning the boost up to these big numbers, there is really only 1 fuel to run, VP C16, 12 bucks a gallon, 28 psi safe if dialed in, huge margin for error in mixture, made just for one thing, forced induction. 20,000.00+ sled and mixing fuel to save money?? Crazy to me. But we all do it, its human nature.

Well hope you guys enjoyed reading this, just the truth as I see it and we all do it...lol...not bashing anyone just telling it like it is.hahaha:face-icon-small-dis
So next time you see the guy kissin the trophy girl know what went into that kiss....a whole bunch of time,knowledge and of course the ever evil MONEY.

Merry X mas to all !!!!:tea:

Oh BTW 110 race fuel would probably go to about 18-20 psi if everythings spot on... well, maybe, just turn that dial.........................:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Thats my new favorite Snowest post of all time.
You're a good man 2XM3!!!!
Very well said.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
thanks guys, really means a lot. Seen it so many many times, as has any long time engine builder be it sleds,cars or aircraft.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Very well said also. I would like to add just a couple of things. Nitrous adds power by increasing the pressure in the cylinder alot. Turbos add power by also increasing the pressure in the cylinder some but the main power increase comes from the amount of crank duration that the piston is seeing the pressure. That is why turbos tend to be alot easier on engines than nitrous. Anyone who can tune nitrous perfect at large doses is amazing. Having said that like what was explained, to much is easy to do with turbos all the same. I have run 16 lbs at 1700 ft -20 day before and it just lifted the head enough to burn the orings. At 12 lbs I could drive all day and at 14 it seemed good I knew I was taking my chances. Did 22 once by accident and it only took 1.5 seconds to blow the orings but all else was good. That is on c14+.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I agree, and will say that c14+ is a very light fuel designed for normally asperated engines running high compression, I use it in my na mod sled....however it is not a good choice for a 4 stroke forced induction motor,or NO2 use. Now that being said it does work very well in modest boost motors,giving better power than c16 at lower boost levels. by modest I mean less than 18-20 psi.

P

powerfuldodge

Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray
I don't have my kit yet but it is on they way, my goal is 5PSi at 1000ft. I have the low compression head with the kit and i'm planning on running 94 ethnonal with avgas. not sure in the mixture but will try 70 - 30 (94-avgas) ....but will play wuth the mixture ll I get it corrrect...results will follow!!..!!

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
I don't have my kit yet but it is on they way, my goal is 5PSi at 1000ft. I have the low compression head with the kit and i'm planning on running 94 ethnonal with avgas. not sure in the mixture but will try 70 - 30 (94-avgas) ....but will play wuth the mixture ll I get it corrrect...results will follow!!..!!

which kit are you planning on running?

Premium Features