• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Mountain Cat Cut out and died

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
2018 mountain cat almost left me walking last weekend. 10 miles from truck, going slow through trees, noticeable miss (almost died) then another 20 yards and missed a couple more times before dying -Like you turned off the key. Wouldn't restart. Removed, hood, looked everything over and it started. Then died. Sat a bit and started at which point I hit the trail. Only one noticeable miss on the way out. Took to the dealer and they did updates and inspected with no luck finding source of the problem. Not into towing or walking! 600 miles on the sled. Any similar experience or thoughts what to check on these? Seemed electrical but dealer supposedly checked everything out.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Sounds very, very similar to what happened when my stator started acting up. I’d go run it around a bunch to get it good and warm. Once fully warmed up, it would cut out and die. Sit for 10 minutes or so and would run for a little bit again.

But could also be water in fuel, fuel pickups, or other things...

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Overheating at all?

Not overheating...off trail but meadow muffin lots of snow to cool. I did check the fuses on the mountain and dealer checked TPS and all electrical. I'll dump the fuel to rule that out. Thanks for the suggestions! I hate these electrical gremlin things. Had an issue with an XM that fought me half a season a few years ago. Dealer said he hasn't seen anything similar and CTEC has been solid so far for them. thanks!

Last edited:

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
would go thru that tether. sounds very tether related. if it does it again, unplug tether and try again.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Were you low on fuel? I ran mine too long with the low fuel light on, there were several hesitations and near cutouts. When l finally stopped and added fuel it wouldn't start. Had to pop the fuel line off at the tank and give a couple pulls on the rope so the pump would prime. As soon as l saw a little gas shoot out l put the line back on and it started first pull. My old 05 King Cat was the same.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Rode about 20 miles of trail and meadows and no issues. Will definitely give the tether system a good inspection. Sled was mostly full of fuel when it crapped out so not an issue there. No pull rope issues. Will be riding with lots of tow support for a while...assuming we ever get some more appreciable snow around here. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Nice to hear there isn't much of this kind of thing going on. Reliability means a ton these days given where we take these things!

Premium Features