• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching? Clutch kits?

Z
Nov 15, 2015
minnesota
Just picked up my new alpha! Coming off of a 850 doo and this is my first cat. I live and mostly ride at sea level (minnesota, u.p of michigan) but i make 3 or so trips west a year. Wondering what to do for clutching, any good clutch kits out there for dual elevation? or should i just be buying weights for arond sea level and call it good as i beleive its clutched for altitude from factory? Thanks!

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I left both springs and the helix that came with it in and added 74 gram weights. I ride 0-4500 but mostly in the mountains so I wanted it to back shift well. Hence keeping the 48* helix. It definitely needs more weight, probably end up with a 75.5-76 gram weight but overall it works well

I live in the UP and have a Alpha 165, buy the magnet adjustable weights (SSI )and your good every where. I do leave the high elevation helix in; I just don't see the need to switch back and forth ( I'm not racing). But I did notice that I needed to run about 2 grams heavier (riding at home to run 8150 rpm) than what cat suggested, I'm guessing the mtn helix.

Premium Features