• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKI DOO OIL TANK CAP... A $14.99 alternative

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Members on here seem to rarely post on stuff that works... and focus on stuff that needs attention.

I have them on 4 sleds so far.... 2 older doos, a 900 RMK, and a Pro RMK... All with Zero issues....These caps are super simple, and use a duckbill valve that has no moving parts.

TRS... the member that brought this topic up... He is THE MOST thorough "sled guy"/wrench/engineer that I know of... I put my faith in this and his use of them on all of his sleds

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
The ski Doo cap requires a minimum vacuum to open up the duckbill, the spinning oil pump provides this vacuum.

I have the Ski Doo cap installed on all four of our Pros.

The oil pumps are turned up so we burn approx 4oz per gallon (32:1) we also add 1oz per gallon.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
To verify that the green duckbill valve was manufactured correctly; pinch the end or distort it slightly and verify that it has a split in the end and opens up. That will ensure it will open under a slight vacuum and work as designed, and avoid an issue like TinkerJohnson described in his post.

My guess is his never got the split put into it or it was stuck shut for whatever reason.

You should also verify that are the new one that has the green duckbill, because the Skidoo cap that preceded the vented one looks identical from the top.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Ran this oil cap for numerous years on my Pro. Oil consumption increased with it on compared to the OEM cap. I would recommend it to anyone running a Pro.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Ran this oil cap for numerous years on my Pro. Oil consumption increased with it on compared to the OEM cap. I would recommend it to anyone running a Pro.

With all the different caps posted in this thread. A definition of your explanation of " this cap" would be great........

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Ski Doo oil cap

Anyone running a Ski Doo oil cap have an issue that over the Summer being the oil cap won't create a vacuum the oil seeped into the motor. I mean alot of oil like a couple cups. This happened to me two years in a row now. I would suggest to put the stock oil cap on for storage.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
There are 5 check valves that deliver the oil from the pump to the case and it sounds like these (one or more) could be leaking! Had this happen in the past on more than one sled. These check valves can be checked with a mighty-vac using the pressure function and they should open the check valve at about 3-6 psi, If they are leaking, need to clean and try again or replace it as I have had to do in more than one time in the past.
gtwitch in wyoming

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have sold my pro now or I would dig into it. I'm sure having the doo cap on made the situation worse than it would have been with the stock cap. Thanks for your input!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
There are 5 check valves that deliver the oil from the pump to the case and it sounds like these (one or more) could be leaking! Had this happen in the past on more than one sled. These check valves can be checked with a mighty-vac using the pressure function and they should open the check valve at about 3-6 psi, If they are leaking, need to clean and try again or replace it as I have had to do in more than one time in the past.
gtwitch in wyoming

^^^^^^^^^ had it happen also. Replaced 2 check valves and all is well. It was using a ratio of 12:1 VES.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I have sold my pro now or I would dig into it. I'm sure having the doo cap on made the situation worse than it would have been with the stock cap. Thanks for your input!

I'm sure you would have found it was the check valves and not the cap. In storage you should be able to leave the cap off and not get oil seepage. The cap needs to vent in order to allow the oiling system to work properly. Isn't that the reason why you put it on in the first place? The stock cap isn't designed to create a vacuum in the oil tank although there is a theory that in operation it is doing that in some situations. Thanks for bringing up the topic though as I'm sure others will run into this too.

M
Feb 21, 2009
Anyone running a Ski Doo oil cap have an issue that over the Summer being the oil cap won't create a vacuum the oil seeped into the motor. I mean alot of oil like a couple cups. This happened to me two years in a row now. I would suggest to put the stock oil cap on for storage.

A nifty trick for summer storage is to loosen the cap a few turns so it can vent the pressure that is caused by the warm temperatures. Best to tape your key to the oil cap so that you don't fire it up in the fall and leak oil all over your belt on your first ride of the year.

Premium Features