• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 800 occasional hard start when hot, 4-5 pulls

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Sled starts first pull most of the time, but if I shut it off for 10-15 minutes after I've been running it hard it can sometimes take 4 to 5 pulls to get it started again, I searched around a bit and found the post below which is relevant. As I only have the issue when running the sled hard it seems I may have the "boiling fuel in the injectors" issue, which doesn't seem like something that can be solved.

Diagnosing a fuel pressure regulator that leaks fuel pressure off after shutdown would just involve installing a fuel pressure gauge in the line from the pump to the injectors. I'm told pressure should be 42-46 PSI depending on altitude, anyone know of a low cost gauge to use for this?

What about injectors leaking into the combustion chamber? Is that ever an issue? I doubt that is what I have going on as the sled won't cough in the slightest on the first 3-4 pulls, but starts up pretty well when it does decide to fire.

The sled has 1,400 miles on it.

Seems that there's three options here:

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel pressure regulator
3. ECU/updates.

A friend of mine has a 15 800etec, his was HORRIBLE to start warm. Many pulls, even some throttle. Sucked. His was fixed with an update. His sled came in early, he picked it up early, and it never got whatever update fixed that.

My 13 800etec did the same thing a week later. Mine was the fuel pressure regulator - it popped out of its socket. Mechanic reaffixed it with some fancy washers to keep it from happening again.

The other common culprit is the fuel pump. Basically, what happens is simple - the pump/regulator assembly does not hold pressure after shutdown. When it is hot (normal operating temperature), the fuel in the injector boils, making it hard to start. Once running, it is fine. I did verify that with my mechanic - if the pump makes enough volume to run, it'll be fine, it is not going to go lean, you just have to fight the boiled fuel to get it going.

So...yeah, take it to dealer.

Doo799

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Same problem on my 14. It was the fuel pump retainer. Simple fix at the dealer. Starts first pull every time now.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
300D has a reputation of popping out of it's socket in 300A. Guys are putting washers on the 2 screws to hold it in place.

Perfect thank you for the precise info :)

Can I get the fuel pump assembly out with the hood off? or do I need to really pull a ton of stuff off to get the pump out to get at the pressure regulator?

sldrnm

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2011
My buddies 14 was doing the same thing, there is some info on here if you research xm hard starting. Also there is a video on you tube under xm fuel pressure regulator. The video explains every thing needed to be removed to do the job. Hope this helps.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
My 16 was really bad the first 2 rides this year. Guess there was a high altitude computer reflash that skidoo had for it. fixed my problem

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I didn't have much luck finding the skidoo part number online for the "Fuel pressure regulator retaining plate" but my local dealer knew what I was talking about, for anyone wanting the part number it is 415130050 and it costs $1.64

Premium Features