• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sit down vs Stand Up

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
I am comtemplating getting a MH set up this year, and am curious about the rider position. I ride dirt bikes and find that I stand 50% of the time but notice in all of the videos that 99% of the time with the exception of jumps the riders are all sitting down. Why is this? Does standing put to much pressure on the ski causing it to dive? Is the goal to keep your weight back? Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

Also I have a 2012 ktm 300 2 stroke xcw, thinking about the 137 track, too much track for a 300?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
i ride both standing or sitting, just depends on the situation. i wouldnt worry about it too much, same as single track, some places you stand, some you sit.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
i ride both standing or sitting, just depends on the situation. i wouldnt worry about it too much, same as single track, some places you stand, some you sit.

Andrew does more standing than the average rider since he has to look over all the better riders in front of him to see where we are going.

:D

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Andrew does more standing than the average rider since he has to look over all the better riders in front of him to see where we are going.

:D

havent you heard the saying, "the group goes at the pace of its weakest link"?:jaw:

thats why i always make sure to wait and come back for ya, its not an easy job, but someone has to do it:sorry:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
stand'n room only

I find myself standing way more than the helmet video crowds post ?? 50 years of mx takes over when I lite up my snowbike ? Don't really need to really stand because compared to riding the wilderness on your dirt bike, out in the snow there just taint the bumps you have to compensate for with good stand up cycle riding technique. You can sit and cruise out in the fluff. Snowbikes are closer to a klr experience than a knarly kdx experience.

Your 300 will thrive with the 136. The length of track is not a motor drag, seems like it would be, taint. Its how much you sink in snow that drags hp, more 136 flotation, you'll find less demanding on your 300. Lots of loss of flickability freaking going on now over the longer tacks, that will die out as more ride more track.

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
Thanks for the input Catman that's great news about the track length. That made the decision for me. After owning an 05 900 166 Polaris flicabilty won't be an issue :)

Last edited:
E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I bought my kit from a guy that had a big bore 530 KTM. Other than hardpack and top speed, he felt without a doubt the longer track was better-especially in steep boondocking/exploring. I think we are all thinking like days past with sleds. Look what comes on a 600 sled now. They have tracks longer than what was originally came with the Polaris 800's.

There was a post from last year of a guy who converted from a 121 to a 136 track. He felt like it was easier on the engine because the bike was up on the snow instead of trenching for traction.

T
Nov 24, 2010
Not sure on the track length issue, but the more you stand on a snowbike, the less chance youre gonna get get a bad case of monkey butt from the brick hard seats on these bikes.

Oz

Oct 16, 2012
BC
yes monkey butt is the hardest part after a day of riding to the point of painfull by the end for me any tricks or tips to reduce this? besides standing all day lol like hockey shorts lol ya I deff dont have a j low a$$ :wine:

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Ride more and the monkey butt goes away. I put on a lot of hours this summer and now I can ride all day without any problems. GUTS also makes a foam insert for some bikes and a non-slip cover... I installed a comfort seat on my WR450 and it was like riding a couch.

This year, however, I'm just going to ride it stock.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have the same seat for my berg in the lLOW version ,,but I didnt get the cool colored stitching!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
I gotta do something like that my KTM seat is like sitting on a 2x4 on edge I almost always stand up on the dirt. If I sit down for any length of time my a$$ feels like what I envision spending a night in jail with Bubba as my cell mate would feel like. LOL

M5

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
Enduro Engineering also makes comfortable seats for those who prefer to sit a lot.
I am putting a seat concepts foam and cover on my Enduro Engineering pan. EE seats are better, but I am thinking snowbiking would be MUCH nicer with the width.

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Since my bike has 230 watts at the stator I have been thinking of some sort of seat heater,I know the new cats have heat in the seat!LOL

Last edited:
Premium Features