• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA float cylinder

M
Nov 13, 2010
*** Don't freak out.... I'm not doing this... Just wondering why***

I just picked up a extra float canister for $175- not a bad price because its not like i will go through a bunch of them. But it got me thinking- right on my paintball canister it says that it is good for 3000 psi and it only cost $35. The float is supposed to be filled to 2700 psi. I know you would get some money into the right valving and setup... but it wouldn't be to much. The last thing I want is a cylinder to explode while it's tied to my back.... but mostly wondering. Is the BCA something really special?? or just a healthy mark-up?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
*** Don't freak out.... I'm not doing this... Just wondering why***

I just picked up a extra float canister for $175- not a bad price because its not like i will go through a bunch of them. But it got me thinking- right on my paintball canister it says that it is good for 3000 psi and it only cost $35. The float is supposed to be filled to 2700 psi. I know you would get some money into the right valving and setup... but it wouldn't be to much. The last thing I want is a cylinder to explode while it's tied to my back.... but mostly wondering. Is the BCA something really special?? or just a healthy mark-up?

I would do some serious info on this as if it works great but remember when you fighting in paintball and your cartridge runs out or does not work, big deal you throw in another one...not the same with something designed to safe your life! I was just taken through the abs filling machine here in lanley bc and I can honestly say I would never fill my cannisters myself with bca or snowpulse unless you know what your doing, take it to a dealer who has been trained to fill the bottles right. It is your life!! Not trying to be dramatic but there is a lot to know on how to do it right, it should take a good dealer 25 -minutes to do this service properly.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My guess is that the paintball canisters aren't DOT approved.

Every DOT approved canister is expensive-- my guess is the certification process is expensive-- scuba tanks are spendy, BCA canisters, CNG tanks for cars/ trucks.

I'm with you though-- for what you get all those tanks seem expensive to me.

Having filled/ used scuba equipment --where its functioning is just as important for continued living-- filling my BCA off my scuba tank is not intimidating. That is my spare canister-- I keep a scuba tank in the truck where I can refill if necessary during a trip.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Nothing rocket science about filling high pressure bottles. The biggest issue is having the access to it. If the bottle is built to be refilled in the field then it was designed for people with access to be able to fill it. I deal with high pressure nitrogen everyday and I am fortunate that I have access to it anytime of the day/night/weekend/holiday that I need it. I realize most do not have access. The biggest thing is to refill slowly to keep the heat down, need to make sure the pressure/bottle temp. are at the desgned temp when the bottle is put back into service. ABS uses a different method, I do not know what it is, but it is not as easy as the BCA.

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
L. C. D.
Lowest commin denominator.
How much training has the special ed guy at dealer had filling your canister?:face-icon-small-sho
Educate yourself.
Go to scuba shop. They understand life or death. Probably make more then minimum wage too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Nothing rocket science about filling high pressure bottles. The biggest issue is having the access to it. If the bottle is built to be refilled in the field then it was designed for people with access to be able to fill it. I deal with high pressure nitrogen everyday and I am fortunate that I have access to it anytime of the day/night/weekend/holiday that I need it. I realize most do not have access. The biggest thing is to refill slowly to keep the heat down, need to make sure the pressure/bottle temp. are at the desgned temp when the bottle is put back into service. ABS uses a different method, I do not know what it is, but it is not as easy as the BCA.

You answered your own question! Not rocket science to you since you know how to do it! Imagine something you have never done before? Are you as knowledgeable about or as fearless about doing it that you don't ask questions or seek out someone who has done it?

It is great you can do this and have access to it, but 99% of the people out there do not. You even stated that you have to fill slow, but actually the best way is to take the temperature of the bottle or freeze it first to minus 20 then fill it and do the temp again, not just say, "hey fill it slow and you'll be alright"! Guarentted most people won't do it right and be sledding around with less psi in their canister.

ABS takes the screw top off, scrubs the bottle, weights it, freezes it to minus 20, fills it to 4600 psi, take temperature, weights it, lets sit for 72 hours to ensure no leaking, then ships it to the shops. I have blown off over 600 canisters and never had one leak, this can't be said for bca or snowpulse.
Get a refilled canister and handle for an abs is as easy as visiting a dealer, just like going into a dealer to refill bca or snowpulse. With ABS you bring your cartridge and handle in and they exchange it with a refilled one right there, there is a $40.00 charge for this. This pays for the bottles to be sent back, refilled and sent back to the shop.

As I have stated many times whatever system you use you should have a back up extra cartridge for snowpulse and bca or handle and canister for abs so if your out on saturday and you accidentally set off your bag you can just replace the cartridge and keep using it, even if it is in your truck, it is an easy trip back as shops are closed sunday/monday in most cases.

These bags are life saving pieces of equipment so each owner of every specific pack should spend the time to know all the important info on what they need to do to check it often.

Last edited:
Premium Features