• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idle Problems

C
Sep 18, 2009
I have a 2004 500ss. start up idle is fine (2000 rpm ish) but when i drive for a bit, the sled will then idle at 3000 rpm and sometimes 3400rpms. give it like 30 seconds and it will go back to around 2000 rpm. it just started to do this around 500 miles ago.

Last edited:
S
i had the same thing almost but mine had been doing it ever since new....i was advised it was the main jet screw that needed to be turned out 1/2 twist on each carb....supposedly to lean....it helped mine for sure..these are the little white plastic screws that are impossible to get to without pulling the carbs on my 07....just an idea....

J
Feb 1, 2010
I have a 2004 500ss. start up idle is fine (2000 rpm ish) but when i drive for a bit, the sled will then idle at 3000 rpm and sometimes 3400rpms. give it like 30 seconds and it will go back to around 2000 rpm. it just started to do this around 500 miles ago.

That motor has done that for years, problem is caused by lean condition at idle. Not that big of a deal, when you come to a stop blip the choke on for a second or two and the idle should come back down. If it really bothers you, you can richen the idle circuit.

Premium Features