• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you afraid to go without your significant other?

S

sledneckchix

Dec 28, 2010
Any ideas on building her confidence on the bike.
I also want to get her a sled but I fear she will treat it the same. I think she tries way to hard to impress me by not crashing she doesn't push to have more fun.

Probably just need more seat time, man I hate living in town!

Any help!

My hubby was the one who got me into moto sports. When we hooked up he rode racing quads, dirt bikes, sleds you name it. I was a TOTAL newbie on all of the above and it was a lot of pressure just learning all these things when he was riding like a crazy man. lol. I don't know why, but I found it much easier to learn when I went out by myself or with friends. Then when we went out together I could say "look what I learned" and he could give me pointers. Maybe I was afraid of looking like a tard, or of making it not fun for him cause he would be waiting for me all the time, but still to this day (13 years later) I like to learn the basics and get into my own comfort zone before we ride together. Dissfunctional???lol

S

sledneckchix

Dec 28, 2010
I used to always follow too. Pushed me (not always in a good way), but also if I messed up, he wasn't seeing it. :eek:

This is soo me. I ALWAYS like to be in the back of the pack. (when I'm with the boys anyway) I can screw around, fall off, tip over WHATEVER and get back up before anyone notices, but I know it isn't healthy!! I know I am a pretty good rider, and there is no reason for me to hide in the back!! Hubby is always slowing down or pulling off to the side trying to get me to lead, but...... so SILLY I wont. That's it. I am going to mention this to DH and we are going to do it!!

and powderpilot your comment about the weakest rider leading hit home. My first trip to the mountains was HELL. I went with hubby and his brother and 7 other guys and they pushed me WAAAAY out of my comfort zone. It was my first ride on a new machine and my first trip to the "hills"(they have been mountain riding for 15 years already) When we found powder I just sat there shaking cause I was freaked about what we had to climb to get to it. Couldn't shake it for the rest of the day. DH noticed I was freaked and we left the group for a bit to play on our own, but my nerves were shot by then :frown: Sometime I hate being a chick!!! That night I listened to my brother in law talk about where we were headed the next day, all black diamond runs that hadn't been touched yet that year, something about having to climb a frozen waterfall do drop into the area, and I was a ****ing basket case the whole next day!! Thank god my DH talked some sense into them and we went to an area he knew I could handle, but I just latched onto another newbie and sat watching all day. My man is not a dick. He realised what was happening, but it was too late. Our next trip was much better. He and I spent lots of time on our own where he could help me get some confidence sidehilling and climbing some "bunny hills" but obviously it's still a raw nerve cause I remember it VERY clearly, and I haven't gone riding with my brother in law since. bla bla bla

To answer the first post...love riding with the girls. I have been trying to get more of my chick friends interested in riding and so far 3 have bought sleds and are trying it out. We went to a cool Poker Rally in Whitecourt, Alberta last year and had a blast. So far I have tried to stick mostly to the ditches along the highway, cutlines and open fields (even tried along the river banks for a challenge) with them and we spend a lot of time digging out and had to change a belt last year but no one felt pressured or nervous and we have a blast laughing at eachother.

Love this thread, thanks for listening to me vent :mad2:

I would love to ride with the girls if I could find any in my area, but I must admit ... I AM afraid of going without the guys because I cannot get myself unstuck .. it's nice to have a burly guy around ... also, I am a little afraid of towing the trailer because my truck is not made for towing .. once we get a new truck, then maybe ... I used to be such an adventurous independent woman before I got married ... what happened ... lol ..

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
I would love to ride with the girls if I could find any in my area, but I must admit ... I AM afraid of going without the guys because I cannot get myself unstuck .. it's nice to have a burly guy around ... also, I am a little afraid of towing the trailer because my truck is not made for towing .. once we get a new truck, then maybe ... I used to be such an adventurous independent woman before I got married ... what happened ... lol ..

You CAN get yourself unstuck.... You just need to learn a few tricks. I'm almost always the smallest rider on the mountain, and not built at all. I use the "roll-over" technique a lot, and seldom need anyone else's help. It's just a matter of using your sled's weight to your advantage, and not fighting with it.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
roll, roll, roll your sled
gently down the hill!!!
merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
we're unstuck and we can ride!

i LOVE the roll technique!! NOT to be used in hard pack or SUPER steep hills though!! and NEVER while your machine is still running!!!!! practive on very mellow hills first and see how the front end comes around and points downhill for you too after a few rolls!

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
Cool thread to see! I'm not afraid to go without my hunny at all. HOWEVER, he is my favorite riding partner....I can completely relax and be me when I ride with him. So I guess I prefer to be with him, we both love riding with one another.......it's a great feeling!

I do though, wish there were more girls in my area! I'm so stoked when I hear another girl is going on the ride with us!
These days we've been doing a lot of couple rides/ family rides and it's been a great time.....only thing that'd make it better is if we actually had snow! :face-icon-small-dis

riverrider

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2011
kootenay's
Riding alone can be dangerous but sometimes on a beautiful day and everyone is at work and i'm off i just can't resist a burn up the hill on my sled. There is also times when someone has been broke down and i just happen to be home to help or of course one could be short on liquid beverages and i'm the delivery lady (but with a high cocktail fee). But the girls allways love to get out on a girls trip without the boys whenever we can and we can allways handle whatever we get into.

Premium Features