• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates carbon belt defect

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Guess my reply didnt submit.. self induced as in what? Not saying it cant be but there sure as hell isnt a 100% guarantee the belt isnt a defect.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have 5 belts I did the exact same thing to in short order. Then per the recommendations of TRS and others, checked and changed my offest. Suddenly no more issues with the belts. NOTE: I do not run the polaris offset, Tony has the specs listed on how to set things.

The OEM belts will tolerate an insane amount of missalignment and abuse. They dont transmit power as well, but they definately hold up to abuse as more of a primary feautre. The carbon belts do not like any sort of missalignment or stupid abuse. They will show you very quickly if you have alignment issues. I kept scalping the one edge off the belts way worse then the ones shown. Destroyed the 5 VERY quickly. like average of 50 miles or less. Then after measuring my offset, it was at the edge of polaris spec. Moved it out another .140" per tonys spec and then a little fine tuning by seeing how it was wearing. Suddenly problem is gone and im 400 very hard miles on my next belt.

The factory sleds come in a LARGE variety of alignment specs hence why when folks throw them on some guys have no issues and others do.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
The first 2 I had I put 850 miles on one and around 400 on the second one and never had one issue. The alignment is still the same. I'm not buying that. This one didnt do it till around 200-300 miles later.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The first 2 I had I put 850 miles on one and around 400 on the second one and never had one issue. The alignment is still the same. I'm not buying that. This one didnt do it till around 200-300 miles later.

I know you take good care of your clutch. With the linear drop in belt longevity, take a look at your moveable sheave and cover bushing wear.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Ok, I'll chime in once more, even though my replacement belt hasn't come yet. It's actually a combination of clutching issues and belt design. Chamfer the top edge of the belt above the cord line and this issue will diminish significantly. Dayco does this to their belts from the factory. The Poo belt isn't chamfered, but the compound is a bit tougher.

Premium Features