• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooler Pros/Cons 2013 vs. 2014

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Being the owner of a 2013 Sno Pro, I have the long rear cooler and am considering swapping it out for a short one.

Here's the questions I have;

I know there are some considerable advantages to going with a short cooler, mostly being weight loss due to snow/ice sticking to the tunnel/boards/skid. What are the downsides? I have had my temp light come one a couple times when running on hard pack with the long cooler, a shorter cooler isn't going to help in these situations. I think nearly all the Cats in 2014 come with the short cooler, but has anybody ran the short cooler and wished they had the longer one?

If I want to swap out the cooler, what part number do I need to order? The 2013 Sno Pro cooler is 0713-078, the 2013 Sno Pro LTD cooler is 0713-094, and 2014 Sno Pro and Sno Pro LTD cooler is 0713-110. The international sleds have a different part number yet, 0713-113. I'm thinking I will order a 2013 LTD cooler, but what changed from 2013 to 2014 to make the 14's have a different part no.?

Last edited:

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Being the owner of a 2013 Sno Pro, I have the long rear cooler and am considering swapping it out for a short one.

Here's the questions I have;

I know there are some considerable advantages to going with a short cooler, mostly being weight loss due to snow/ice sticking to the tunnel/boards/skid. What are the downsides? I have had my temp light come one a couple times when running on hard pack with the long cooler, a shorter cooler isn't going to help in these situations. I think nearly all the Cats in 2014 come with the short cooler, but has anybody ran the short cooler and wished they had the longer one?

If I want to swap out the cooler, what part number do I need to order? The 2013 Sno Pro cooler is 0713-078, the 2013 Sno Pro LTD cooler is 0713-094, and 2014 Sno Pro and Sno Pro LTD cooler is 0713-110. The international sleds have a different part number yet, 0713-113. I'm thinking I will order a 2013 LTD cooler, but what changed from 2013 to 2014 to make the 14's have a different part no.?

I have a 13 limited with the short cooler. 1000 miles and had never seen my temp light until I cut my 2.6 down to a 2" for the hillclimbs. Couldn't keep it cool with the short lug track the rest of the season.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
I have seen the temp light numerous times on my 14 with 3" track. And a couple times when I had the 2.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I have had both a 12 1100T that I put the short cooler in and now have a 14 BDX prolite which has the short cooler in it. Never have seen a light with the scratchers deployed on either machine. Dock the scratchers and its heat city.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
With the 13 cooler you can get by without scratchers most of the time. With the short cooler you will need scratchers most of the time. If you are used to tall lug tracks and their cooling issues this won't be a problem. The other thing I noticed is that the temps rise while idling much faster. This could have been due to a bad radiator cap though, so who knows...

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Thanks for the input fellas. I'm already running scratchers, so if I go with the short cooler, I guess I will just have to get used to using the scratchers more often. I'm fine with using the scratchers more often as long they are enough. Apparently Cat feels they are enough if most of their late model sleds now come with the short cooler stock. I bought this sled to run in the mountains and I think the upsides out-weigh the downsides for where I ride.

Anybody run something in their coolant to help with the temps? I remember a product called "Water Wetter" or something to that effect that is supposed to help keep temps down. Does it work and if so, to what extent?

Anybody know how much weight savings there is using the short cooler vs. the long one? The weight difference between a '13 sno pro and '13 LTD is like 5-6 lbs so I'm guessing nearly all of this the cooler correct? What other accessories/upgrades do the LTD's have that add weight and could make this savings actually more?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Owned both, the short cooler is worth it, really only an issue on frozen packed trail,

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
to each his own, but I have a 12 with a full cooler. I did wreck my tunnel last year and thought of doing the short cooler until I watch guys pull over on the ride up the trail to get to the good stuff to mess with temp lights, scratchers and such. With the painted tunnel there isn't alot of snow buildup anyways.

I don't have scratchers and run a 85 duro 2.6 and never seen a light and like it that way.

Now I added a turbo that is cooled of the system and still don't have any issue.

my 02

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
U need to run scratchers in slush too! My 14 is the first sled that I have ever had to run scratchers on the trail back to the truck. I was dreading the spring riding. But my sled got wrecked before spring, I know I would not have been happy though.

ridin da yamacat

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
I have a 13le with a short cooler and big bore. Scratchers are down whenever I'm on the trails. If I forgot the sled wil get warm and 500' after I drop them the temp will drop 40 degree Celsius and back to a cool normal running temp. Running the scratchers to me is no big deal!

A
May 21, 2011
I had heating on a 011 m8 with 3" track. Rebent scratchers so I had pressure starting on them 2"below the lug. No issues on hardpack after that.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
Just a side note, when you install ur scratchers, put the part of the scratchers that is suppose to go in the hole in the rail, on top of the rail. This will put more pressure down on the snow and when u forget them and back up, it just flips the scratcher around on the rail and does not break them. Save my scratchers a couple times now.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
The maiden voyage on my '14 started out right out of the gate with a couple miles of solid ice trail out of the parking lot. I had the scratchers down and never once saw a temp light even when many of the other sleds were pulling over due to over heating. I was a little surprised in those conditions with the short cooler it didn't heat up. I thought maybe the light or sensor was defective, but later on in the season the coolant bottle opening warped allowing coolant to leak out and the light came on so it must be working.

Premium Features