• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant Hoses To Impulse Turbo

C
Dec 2, 2009
What brand of coolant hoses are you guys running for the impulse turbo. Blew coolant hose today at the bottom of a hill climb. When kit was put together by Dealer, the hoses on their now are 3/8" fuel line hose, not sure why they went with this other than cheap. Not sure about room for running braided hoses, or just get Gates hose and wrap with heat insulator.Hose split right at crimp. Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
I have heard of that happening, on mine I, got custom braided lines made, Its the heat from the turbo itself that melts the hoses off I think not the temp of the coolant. Even if you could run a small 6-8 inch section from the turbo that would help. Shad

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Thats what Impluse kits come with, the coolant hoses that I have also say 3/8 fuel line. Im putting some of his parts onto my TRX1. Powderlites sells ss line for the coolant, Alpine sells some sort of line that has heat resistant covering over it.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Thats what Impluse kits come with, the coolant hoses that I have also say 3/8 fuel line. Im putting some of his parts onto my TRX1. Powderlites sells ss line for the coolant, Alpine sells some sort of line that has heat resistant covering over it.

On this years kit Impulse also have heat resistant covering.

Like this:

IMG_3078.jpg

Borrowed the pic from another thread.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

alpine ones are braided hydrolic hose plus heat shield on them.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
alpine ones are braided hydrolic hose plus heat shield on them.

Braided SS looks WAY nice but it also retains heat more so than the rubber gates hose...either way both hoses are sufficient for what they do, and both hoses need to have some sort of heat treted material over them for the first few inches as a rpecautionary measure.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Braided SS looks WAY nice but it also retains heat more so than the rubber gates hose...either way both hoses are sufficient for what they do, and both hoses need to have some sort of heat treted material over them for the first few inches as a rpecautionary measure.

its not braided ss its braided nylon they work great no heat issue.if you want to use a soft hose get the blue silicone stuff much more heat resistant.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
its not braided ss its braided nylon they work great no heat issue.if you want to use a soft hose get the blue silicone stuff much more heat resistant.

Isnt that exactly what is in the picture above then?? I am confused, cuz thats my picture above, (nice steal Zipperno :face-icon-small-win), and that is braided as well good to like 220-250* and if you were to go to the softer blue silicone its good to like 500 but you can run it all day with 350* directly on it...

If theres a better option I am all over it so lemme know, i am not worried on my nytro but on my Poo she has melted once...

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
The coolant line you got with your kit does have fuel line written on it. But, is also rated for high temps.Having the line pass the test for fuel and fuel being one of the most erosive liquids in the auto world would only tell me you got quality hose with your kit. Nothing that comes with a impulse kit is a cheap compromise. having the hose split at the crimp tells me something went wrong when the line was crimped. Steel braided lines are tough but also heavy and wear everything out around it that in comes in contact with!

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I have been running my Impulse 2860 on my Nytro for the fourth season now and I have never even had any sheilding on my hose, I had it off this summer and did not feel brittle like the heat had damaged it in any way and have been riding with quite a few other sleds that were the same, this is the first time I have heard of this happening, I would chalk it up to a bad fitting like ez money said.

C
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks guys for your imput. Yes after looking at the hose more closely it appearts it was a bad crimp. I believe I will stay away from the braided hose because of the wear factor on other components in that area.

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Good to hear that newer Impulse kits have a heat protective covering. On my crappy cpr kit, just had reg 3/8 black heater hose. The hose stood up fine, didnt even have anything over it. To bad the heater hose was better that than thing he called a header! Rock on Impulse, thats what on my sled now.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Thanks guys for your imput. Yes after looking at the hose more closely it appearts it was a bad crimp. I believe I will stay away from the braided hose because of the wear factor on other components in that area.

good that you found the prob,like i said if you ever want bullet proof one the alpine ones are very tough but they are soft & wont rub anything they are braided nylon pic here.
http://www.alpinemotorsport.ca/eshopprod_cat_6554-73757_product_971353.Nytro_Front_Mount_Turbo_.htm

Premium Features