• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris, you have lost another one

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
OK more data the 2010 cylinder part # 3022201 has in fact 2mm thicker skirts than the 08-09 cylinder part # 3021843, it is however longer as well and the top case half of a 08-09 would have to be bored deeper to allow the 2010 cylinder to fit. i have not seen one so i can't tell how much longer the skirt is. the 2010 cylinder is around 850 bucks and the 08-09 is 500 ish . you could however cut a 2010 cylinder to fit the case much easier than cutting the case, now it would be the same lenght as the 09 but still thicker.

So what polaris should do when updating the 08-09 is change to the better 2010 case....yeah good luck with them doing that....

I think you have to machine for the extra thickness also. I am just going to buy 2010 cases and cylinders since I need new cases anyway. Where did you get your pricing from? I was quoted $1k for the 2010 cylinder and $720 for the cases.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Looked up the parts from babbits online polaris....case and cylinder with proper clearance should do the trick..

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
The more we work on these 800's and the more we learn the more i realize how big a plie of crap they are...just a horrible case and piston design.
You want a good laugh?? heat your cylinder up to 150 and measure the bore with a good dial bore guage. it's so distorted its amazing these things seal the rings at all. At least the old 800's were round...lmao

I'd suspect after bolting these to the case and head things stay a little more square. :face-icon-small-dis

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I think you have to machine for the extra thickness also. I am just going to buy 2010 cases and cylinders since I need new cases anyway. Where did you get your pricing from? I was quoted $1k for the 2010 cylinder and $720 for the cases.

Hey Aug, PM or call Michelle (Freeagent) from Oregon Trail Sports. She just saved me a bunch even compared to Babbit's on my 800cfi parts.

Oregon Trail Sports
1925 Auburn Ave, Baker City, Or 97814

Phone (541) 523-3500

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I'd suspect after bolting these to the case and head things stay a little more square. :face-icon-small-dis

Nope they were measured by themselves,then with head and top half of case bolted on,cold and at operating temp. This is not my first rodeo:nod: the only way to get them round at temp is to final hone them with top and bottom deck plates installed and hot hone them at tempature just like we do with all out pro level race engines. The cylinder is a horrible design,reminds me of first year chevy bowtie blocks, drove us crazy, near impossible to get good ring seal until they redesigned the webing and water jackets. I ran my race shop for over 25 years and the more I dive into this series of engine the more disgusted I get. :face-icon-small-fro
Don't mean to rant but its just that I get really pi$$ed at polaris for knowing what the problems are and just sticking one bandaid after another on the problem hoping it will just go away. Another issue I'm not going to even start is the crappy rod/stroke ratio these have causing side loading on the skirt and heat buildup...arghhhhhh

All in All I would say the best bet if you want to go this far is to use the 2010 cylinder,the 2010 case,then use "the fix" longer skirt piston and spacer to help support the piston. And take your brand new 2010 cylinder have it stripped and re-niked to the proper clearance of .006 after measuring the pistons you are going to use. Now you can't go any tighter as it may stick due to the distortion of the cylinder during temp changes.(think 1st single ring piston problems) And if you did get the cylinder to be round at temp, its now distorted when cold so you still can't run the piston any tighter.

Or the best cure is to do a carls 860 using the 2 separate jugs and pistons that they custom make...there is a very good reason they went to the effort to custom cast 2 separate jugs and chuck the monoblock in the trash. BUT this is one expensive option.

Last edited:

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
After 160 miles on new pistons and new mono-block I pulled what looked like scored pistons. I pinched a .010 feeler gauge to get a little curve and it slide right in. I decided to take them to a machine shop in Denver and they measured them at .015! They are scored in exactly the same place as the handful of pics on here. I may have had 5 miles or 50 miles left but you could clearly see where the skirt was going to let got. They both looked remarkably alike so this isn't a heat pto v. mag side thing, its just bad parts.

We really need to get together and find an attorney. I think a $4,000 after per sled after expenses is fair when to fix properly them you'd need an entire '11 crate engine, mounts, injectors, throttle bodies, and electronics.

P1000740.JPG

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
After 160 miles on new pistons and new mono-block I pulled what looked like scored pistons. I pinched a .010 feeler gauge to get a little curve and it slide right in. I decided to take them to a machine shop in Denver and they measured them at .015! They are scored in exactly the same place as the handful of pics on here. I may have had 5 miles or 50 miles left but you could clearly see where the skirt was going to let got. They both looked remarkably alike so this isn't a heat pto v. mag side thing, its just bad parts.

We really need to get together and find an attorney. I think a $4,000 after per sled after expenses is fair when to fix properly them you'd need an entire '11 crate engine, mounts, injectors, throttle bodies, and electronics.

The break in coatings do wear off. I'd like to see the exhaust side before I called those pistons scored. Clearance sucks, but I don't know about the scoring.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Where the coating has worn off in the picture you can feel a distinct ridge forming on the skirt of the piston. Its exactly where the last piston broke that took out the cases. Just not worth taking the chances of grenading another engine with the pistons slopping around like that. $1,200 for the crank\cases and a few hundred for the monoblock will go a long way towards a 900 carb'd Cat or M8\1000 engine for a summer project.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well even with string pulling and my dealer friend Polaris told us to pound sand on any warrenty issues, and thats total Bull$hit as these motors all need to be recalled.

On a good note we have the new motor all back in the sled and it made it through 6 heat cycles so riding today. We of course took it apart and changed pistons and fixed about 100 other things so we shall see. Used the single ring spi hyperdrive pistons, really good looking piston btw. Motor after update (before blowing up ..lol) had 90-95 psi cranking, now with proper honeing and good pistons it had 125 before rings even seated...so it should run pretty good.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Seems like there have not been any failures since it has warmed up. Tons when it was really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Well even with string pulling and my dealer friend Polaris told us to pound sand on any warrenty issues, and thats total Bull$hit as these motors all need to be recalled.

On a good note we have the new motor all back in the sled and it made it through 6 heat cycles so riding today. We of course took it apart and changed pistons and fixed about 100 other things so we shall see. Used the single ring spi hyperdrive pistons, really good looking piston btw. Motor after update (before blowing up ..lol) had 90-95 psi cranking, now with proper honeing and good pistons it had 125 before rings even seated...so it should run pretty good.

What was the piston/ cylinder clearance with the SPI? I think these would be a good replacement option, but no one has ever gotten a true measurement. Must have tightened it up some to get the compression up that much.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Tapered design, .009 (3.338) at top of pin, .004 at bottom. stays nice and uniform when heated unlike factory piston. Single ring very, very nice casting as well.

J

Joe57

Mar 6, 2008
upper Green Wyo..........
My 09 D 8 is down with mag side piston scuffing I wont run it untill I get the PMS kit.Spence Moriority and Schuster OUt of Jackson, Like to go after big corperations. Just saying,my dealer said if there ever is a class action lawsuit to jump in with both feet. He is pissed at polaris...

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I think there's alot of unhappy dealers out there. They're the ones that have to face the pissed off customer not corporate. Plus they pay a very small amount to the dealer for fixing these ongoing issues.

G
Jul 16, 2008
I have to put in my two cents!!!!!!!! Also I know this is the 800 thread but I hear all of this bull shiv and totally agree I ride the f****** 900 and takes all my money cause I am too stupid to learn I stayed away from the D8s so I made one smart decision that pos (the 900)left me stranded on everyone of my trips out west drive 16 hours to ride for 2 hours but to make matters worse I rented a brand new pro 800 and they had to pull me home the second day two hours in so I think that was the straw that broke the cammels back. I f****** hate cat but not any more That will be My next sled hate to say it And I called out to the dealler that rented me that pro and Polaris _engineers were there and they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it wow they are smart thanks 4 letting me vent F*** POLASIS =========P O S thanks goat

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Another problem is that everyone knows that these motors are so Sh!tty that you can't even sell them to anyone! People search about them prior to buying and say no way will I buy one. So now you have a sled you can't trust and you can't sell and you can't afford to keep fixing!! Now what do you do with it... Cannot believe they haven't been sued by someone over these non stop problems. They finally get it right with the PRO after about ten years now everyone goes running back to them with open arms... Except for the 2007 700 dragon, great sled!

Hayden, I know someone with a 910 for sale! :tongue:

i ride a 700 '07 at work and love it. i was looking at a good deal on an '09 dragon 800 and started reading this thread. wow, am i glad i did. i'm sorry polaris has stuck yall with their mistake.

Premium Features