• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris, you have lost another one

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
well i talked to my less than helpful dealer today....and just like everyone else, i got told to go pound sand. they pulled the "well motors wear and whos to say the pistons were out of spec when it left the shop" card. they also said they wouldnt do anything because i pulled it apart. looks like they have sealed the deal...i will never purchase another polaris again. now where is my old REV? i want it back lol

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
well i talked to my less than helpful dealer today....and just like everyone else, i got told to go pound sand. they pulled the "well motors wear and whos to say the pistons were out of spec when it left the shop" card. they also said they wouldnt do anything because i pulled it apart. looks like they have sealed the deal...i will never purchase another polaris again. now where is my old REV? i want it back lol

Man you must have taken that thing apart with a sledge hammer. I didn't know that you could break a skirt off of a cylinder taking it apart.:loco:Makes me mad when these guys think that they have the only mechanics that work on stuff. Half those guys couldn't take one apart without the manual that tells them how. Becaus if they were good mechanics they wouldn't have put these motors together with the bad specs. They would have told polaris that was never gonna work.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Everyone that has been denied or is out of warranty needs to contact their state attorney general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I know around the Jackson Hole wy area there have been several new Pro's losing cranks. The Pro chasssis seems solid but the motor sounds like it still does not work after some miles get put on them.

This hole dragon 800 debacle is pissing of lots of other guys as well. I was one of the unfortunate people to order one of the P.O.S. 900 Rmk's that Polaris so kindly told me I rode it too hard and to go pound sand.

I was keeping an eye on the Pro cause if it turned out to be better than my XP i might have switched. But after hearing about the cranks starting to fail, makes me think that Polaris still does not have it figured out. Which is unfortunate when a guy has to drop anywhere from $10,000-$12,000 on one. Then to get told "pound sand and die for all we care" Really Really piss you off.

Good luck getting fixed up.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
When my 08 was rebuilt the 2nd time..the pistons knocked so loud in the cylinders just pulling the rope to prime everything before fireing that we called Polaris right away. I was at the shop and the mech just shook his head. He told Polaris that there was no way he would even start something like that. Should have measured it first but at least he wasnt listening to Polaris.

here is where it gets funny..in a sick way..Polaris told the dealer that the knocking was normal and that some were just louder than others...I got on the phone at that time. New cylinders were shipped fedx.

Do place a complaint with your States consumer afairs division of the AG's office.

The voltage reg is still crap and they know it. A Vreg cost is only a few dollars for an OEM.

Now..Polaris made 1.99billion in sales. They are giving their employees something like 19% of annual salery or 13mil with another 8mil in stock...as part of their Profit sharing. See my Polaris Profit post.

Our company made a lot more than that in Profit and we get a whopping 2.5% of base salery.
Polaris employees get 19%....if they can aford to do that then they could fix this mess and never know it. They made all the money in 2010..even after the fixes on the Dragons....I said last year that this fix was chump change for a company that makes as much as PooPoo.

If only Yamaha would make a mountain sled with a two stroke that didnt weigh a ton...now there is a thought..yamaha are you listening(prob. not)

Last edited:

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
Man you must have taken that thing apart with a sledge hammer. I didn't know that you could break a skirt off of a cylinder taking it apart.:loco:Makes me mad when these guys think that they have the only mechanics that work on stuff. Half those guys couldn't take one apart without the manual that tells them how. Becaus if they were good mechanics they wouldn't have put these motors together with the bad specs. They would have told polaris that was never gonna work.

yeah no kidding. the **** head tried saying "well...motors wear" i told him...RINGS wear dip **** and not in 400mi. and it pisses me off how they think no one can work on them and will think of any excuse not to cover things....hell the guy who helped me built winston cup motors and blown alcohol drag motors for 20+ years....im pretty sure we didnt mess anything up worse than it already was lol...hell we coulda done it without messing anything up with a screwdriver and a hammer lol.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
For those of us whose motors haven't gone, what should we do? Is it the OEM pistons to small to begin with, or do they become that way with time. Put in EPI pistons or Wisco before it happens?

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
For those of us whose motors haven't gone, what should we do? Is it the OEM pistons to small to begin with, or do they become that way with time. Put in EPI pistons or Wisco before it happens?

I am in the same place right now. I have to pull my motor due to a broken engine strap so while I have it out I want to do something preventative. I am considering the "fix" or just Wisco pistons but right now both are back ordered...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I feel bad for polaris sticking everyone with these motors and the new ones are not any better it seems. Two of my friends have a 2011 assault and a pro rmk that went down recently. The pro busted the lower portion of the cylinder off and sent it through the crankcase with 450 miles on it. The assault had the recoil break of all things and it destroyed the stator and broke the crankcases as well.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The piston to cylinder clearance has been going on for a long time.My 03 700 rmk had 3000 miles on it so I decided to rebuild top end measured piston and cylinder, cylinder was good piston was out spec. Ordered new pistons and measured them when they arrived and they were already at the wear specs. My dealer said they never measure if the cylinder looks good. He did not even have a set of mic or bore gauge in the shop.Returned oem pistons went with SPI and they were .005 clearance.I asked them then about the specs in the manual .I guess they are there for reading or when your out of TP.Sorry for your troubles no one should have too spend that kind of money to have a out of spec engine and a company that does not care.I just went thru this on my 07 dragon, pistons are wore out before you get to run them. Oem are the only ones you can buy.CEOs of poo and the oil companys are having a good time on are hard earned $$$

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
Cajun, I just pulled my cylinders and guess what?! They look just like yours with the exception of the fact I can reach under the block and stick a finger into the case. 2008 Dragon 800. POS

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
The more we work on these 800's and the more we learn the more i realize how big a plie of crap they are...just a horrible case and piston design.
You want a good laugh?? heat your cylinder up to 150 and measure the bore with a good dial bore guage. it's so distorted its amazing these things seal the rings at all. At least the old 800's were round...lmao

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The more we work on these 800's and the more we learn the more i realize how big a plie of crap they are...just a horrible case and piston design.
You want a good laugh?? heat your cylinder up to 150 and measure the bore with a good dial bore guage. it's so distorted its amazing these things seal the rings at all. At least the old 800's were round...lmao

Very interesting discovery. Imagine the distortion at operating temps especially around the exhaust port.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The more I read about the 08-10 800s, the more I feel bad for you guys.... I hope there is some way you can get your money's worth out of these sleds.:face-icon-small-sad

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
The more I read about the 08-10 800s, the more I feel bad for you guys.... I hope there is some way you can get your money's worth out of these sleds.:face-icon-small-sad

I bitch and moan about the wrenching that I have done on my 8, but nothing beats a good day or riding. I just look at it as the cost of having fun. I know that my sleds aren't worth squat when I'm done with them.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Very interesting discovery. Imagine the distortion at operating temps especially around the exhaust port.

yup, to get it round it needs to have case and deckplates bolted up then heated to operating temp and honed hot to round, THEN it ends up being .011 +/- egg shaped when cold...can you say cold sticking a piston arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

This i'm guessing one of the major reasons polaris has updated with the insane .009-.012 clearance pistons. just one problem after another. Also if you get one that is round with fair clearance it will run really well. imho

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The one year warranty add-0n was a joke, too. The letter said it ends June, 2010. If you had a 2009 with a two year warranty, the "free" warranty was actually inside the time frame of your two year warranty. They gave us nothing.

I have bought two top ends in less than 440 miles during my ownership and in some 900 miles of the sled's life. The sled is on its second MFD, chassis relay, stator, and maybe 3rd voltage regulator. I just installed Wiseco pistons in a replated cylinder. I was sorry that an aftermarket gasket set was not available--Polaris did not deserve my hundred something dollars for the few o-rings,etc.

Its not all pistons-- the second factory new cylinder bore is large enough that a full diameter piston (85 mm or 3.34 inches, would have been close to factory clearance. It measured 3.347 inches, or 85.01 mm.

The pistons were different-- one was 3.320 in (84.328) and the other 3.338
(84.7852). The clearances were .027 (.6858) and .009 (.2286) -- neither within spec.

It was fun-- I could get a .035 in/.88 mm feeler guage between the skirt and the cylinder with the piston at top of bore. The little piston practically drops in without trying to compress the rings-- gravity will do it.

Like so many others, I am really mad.

On the bold I dont even know what to say about that. I guess when your order pistons you better order about 12 to make sure you can get two that are even close. Great job there Polaris....

I dont think mad would cover what I would be had that been my engine.
.027 clearance is a flat joke. Hell .009 and their spec of .006 is a joke too. The company I work for would throw throw that crap in the garbage.
That doesnt sound like much but its really alot when your talking about something thats trying to work that hard. These engines should be built with
specs so tight that you dont even need gaskets in the engine. Poor quality leads to one thing... CHEAP CHEAP parts...

I was told by someone that works for Polaris that the update had smaller pistons because they saw to many failures from pistons sticking in the bores so instead of actually fixing the issue they created a band aid remedy to shut people up and just made smaller pistons... You wouldn't even have to graduated high school to provide that marvel of engineering.

I had considered buying a PRO because the chassis is crazy good, but you couldn't give me one of those powerless engine's and after reading and seeing with my own eyes pistons that had .009 and .012 clearance its insane that they even last as long as they do.

You look at the engine that's in the pro 143 hp... You can get that out of a 660... with pipes and porting pretty easy. It also makes more torque. Might as well buy a 600 and put a 660 or 685 kit on it at least that will run.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
OK more data the 2010 cylinder part # 3022201 has in fact 2mm thicker skirts than the 08-09 cylinder part # 3021843, it is however longer as well and the top case half of a 08-09 would have to be bored deeper to allow the 2010 cylinder to fit. i have not seen one so i can't tell how much longer the skirt is. the 2010 cylinder is around 850 bucks and the 08-09 is 500 ish . you could however cut a 2010 cylinder to fit the case much easier than cutting the case, now it would be the same lenght as the 09 but still thicker.

So what polaris should do when updating the 08-09 is change to the better 2010 case....yeah good luck with them doing that....

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
The Patient
blownengine001.jpg

The results of exploratory surgery
blownengine002.jpg

blownengine005.jpg

blownengine003.jpg

blownengine007.jpg

Premium Features