• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Light weight battery for XP?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Sammamish
I need a new battery for my XP. I'd like to find something lighter than stock. Has anyone found one? Where did you get it? Any info would be great. Thanks

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
battery

i put a lightweight battery in my 06 1000 doo moved it to my 08 800 and its still there works great, thought i would have to replace it but its still working, if i get a pic i will post it, i think it weighs something like 6lb alot lighter than stock

giddyup

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I got one from A+E racing that is for the KTM bike. Its a YUSA , just installed it , have yet to try it in the cold. Will prob have to use the rope in the mornings. sj

J

jlebrun_05

Dec 9, 2007
Dell Rapids, SD
this is probably a stupid question, but is there some kind of alternator (like the stator) that recharges the battery, or does it need to be recharged periodically. I have started it in pretty cold weather since I've had the sled, but was just thinking of it today. Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought it might be relavent if someone is gonna use a smaller battery

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I know mountain perfromance sells them for yammies. Bet they have one that would be close to the same dimentions.

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
this is probably a stupid question, but is there some kind of alternator (like the stator) that recharges the battery, or does it need to be recharged periodically. I have started it in pretty cold weather since I've had the sled, but was just thinking of it today. Sorry to hijack your thread, just thought it might be relavent if someone is gonna use a smaller battery

I would say yes to both: yes the sled recharges and yes you should charge periodically (~ every 6-8 weeks) when not riding.

I took the plunge and bought one of those smart chargers for ~$60. It cycles between a hot charge (high voltage) and slow bulk (low voltage) charge. As a minimum get yourself a cheap trickle charger.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
There Is also ytz10s which has more cold cranking amps, I'm sure It will work also, I've been wanting to get one also for my XP but don't know which one will work the best either the ytz7s or ytz10s, also racewerx the guys who make the clutch tower brace are supose to come out with a lightweight battery kit for the XP!!:face-icon-small-coo

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Hey I just went to the batterywarehouse [store] bought a smaller motorcycle bat. that weighs about half and put it in. Used foam to fit it and a big cable tie to hold it. works great. Start tested down to 0 no problem. Oh yea it was a lot cheaper. I'll get back with more perticulars ie bat. size, cca, weight and cost. LATTER got to check snow depth

M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
Hey I just went to the batterywarehouse [store] bought a smaller motorcycle bat. that weighs about half and put it in. Used foam to fit it and a big cable tie to hold it. works great. Start tested down to 0 no problem. Oh yea it was a lot cheaper. I'll get back with more perticulars ie bat. size, cca, weight and cost. LATTER got to check snow depth

What model Is the battery? Let us know how she cranks In the COLD weather!! Thanks, Mike!!:eek:

D
Mar 3, 2008
There Is also ytz10s which has more cold cranking amps, I'm sure It will work also, I've been wanting to get one also for my XP but don't know which one will work the best either the ytz7s or ytz10s, also racewerx the guys who make the clutch tower brace are supose to come out with a lightweight battery kit for the XP!!:face-icon-small-coo
yes your right ytz10 would work but it weighs 8# the ytz7 weighs 3.5# and works just fine i believe this tread was about light weight battery .the ytz7 is 130 cca 6 amp/hr rateing.

Last edited:
M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
yes your right ytz10 would work but it weighs 8# the ytz7 weighs 3.5# and works just fine i believe this tread was about light weight battery .the ytz7 is 130 cca 6 amp/hr rateing.

I know the thread Is about lightweight, but lightweight won't matter If the battery doesn't have enough CCA (cold cranking amps) to start our sleds, I think the stock battery Is 14lbs, so If I can find a battery at 8lbs that will have close to the same CCA as the stock battery I'm still saving 7lbs which Is pretty good, I'm still waiting to see what RACEWERX Is going to use!!:eek:

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Looks like there's lots of options so heres some more. Im using a YTX7L @ 85 cca weights 5#. Thats 9# lighter than stock give or take some Im sure. Iv'e tested down to 0 degrees worked fine. The next size smaller is YTX5L @70 cca & weights only 3.5 lbs thats close to ten lbs lighter. I'll try that next. What the heck if it does'nt work to your satifaction, put it in your lawnmower. I'm sure theres better quality, but as i recall the price was very reasonable. mgf I think is motocross.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Interesting thread

I am currently testing/developing a lithium based starting battery..Not the same li packs as your computer etc.. completely different chemistry..
115CCA and weighs less than a pound. about the size of a large pack of cigs..
whats really cool is that after running them down they re energize to 90 % of original with NO charge.. this happens within 2 minutes..
It works great in the dirt bikes,(Over a year of testing) but does not work on the sleds do to the cold, currently we are trying to use the battery power to prewarm the battery..We'll see..
who knows.. maybe this time next year we will have it available..
The YT7 is a great battery..

M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
I am currently testing/developing a lithium based starting battery..Not the same li packs as your computer etc.. completely different chemistry..
whats really cool is that after running them down they re energize to 90 % of original with NO charge.. this happens within 2 minutes..
It works great in the dirt bikes,(Over a year of testing) but does not work on the sleds do to the cold, currently we are trying to use the battery power to prewarm the battery..We'll see..

Any pic's on that lithium battery, talkin about LIGHTWEIGHT!!:face-icon-small-coo

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007

I was going to sort of hill billy that with some LI batterries from a power tool but I never got the chance please post on here when you have a sucessful prototype

Premium Features