• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NYTRO HIGH COMP. PISTONS

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Anyone know if there are high compression pistons available for the 08-10 FX Nytro? I have checked the Wiseco website, but they only have kits for a 2006 Nytro, and I'm not sure it's the same thing. I'm hoping to find some 13:1 compression or as high as I can get,...stock is 9:5:1:noidea:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I thought stock was higher than that... I thought 9.5:1 was where you would be after a headshim. If you are going for an N/A engine, you can probably find someone to shave the head for you. Someone can correct me on this, but I thought that initially the Nytro was the same as the vector engine with a few changes to get the extra 10hp....now those changes may or may not have included the pistons...I can't say I know that difference off hand.

Someone out there school us!

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Ok,...after digging a little deeper into this, the JE pistons are for the 973cc wich has a 79mm bore found on the older Vectors. Wiseco has the 82mm high comp for the 1049cc, but it is listed as an overbore for the 973,...this explains why the 08-10 Nytro model designation does not reference on the Wiseco site. This piston is 12:5:1 compared to 11:0:1 stock. The 9:5:1 pistons are low comp offered by JE and Wiseco, and as far as I can tell, there are no 1049cc (82mm) pistons available from JE...

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Kind of a rule of thumb, 1 point of compression increase/decrease = approx 4% horsepower change.
138hp Nytro at 11.0 to 1, change to 12.0 to 1 would be approx 143.5hp. Of course higher octane would be required.
Not a huge gain. However since most higher compression engines can tolerate longer duration camshafts. Larger horsepower gains would be possible if you combined the higher compression pistons with bigger cams and head porting.

Last edited:
T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Thinking high comp pistons with advanced timing, and having the head ported with flow bench technology along with opened up intake/exhaust components plus fuel mapping should put me where I need to be. Who is making performance cams for the Nytro?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I thought stock was higher than that... I thought 9.5:1 was where you would be after a headshim. If you are going for an N/A engine, you can probably find someone to shave the head for you. Someone can correct me on this, but I thought that initially the Nytro was the same as the vector engine with a few changes to get the extra 10hp....now those changes may or may not have included the pistons...I can't say I know that difference off hand.

Someone out there school us!

sorry the 2 engines are different platforms and not just slighly changed. vector was the 973 carbed and swtiched to efi and the nytro is a 1050 efi. nytro engine is quite different as its rev limit and power band are at lower rpms

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
Thinking high comp pistons with advanced timing, and having the head ported with flow bench technology along with opened up intake/exhaust components plus fuel mapping should put me where I need to be. Who is making performance cams for the Nytro?

low boost turbo would be alot cheaper plus more power and more reliable(run pumpgas etc)

Last edited:
T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Boost was the original idea, but ISR competition rules will limit me to natural aspiration for the racing classes I will be running.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
10 - 4 i got ya. i read some where a guy did cams and claimed 170hp. i big stretch imo the valves are already close to the piston hence the valve reliefs on the top. is it cross contry racing or what? what do the rules say about shoe horning a apex motor in there?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
sorry the 2 engines are different platforms and not just slighly changed. vector was the 973 carbed and swtiched to efi and the nytro is a 1050 efi. nytro engine is quite different as its rev limit and power band are at lower rpms

Thanks for clearing that up for me:face-icon-small-coo

As far as compression goes my YZ250F runs 12.5:1 and the newer ones were close to 13:1. granted they are a single jug, but they run well on 92 octane. I sure wouldn't push past that without bumping up to av gas or race fuel.

I dont usually steer people over there, but you can ask around or do some searching on ty4stroke.com. If I recall correctly there were some guys looking into N/A builds a couple years ago.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
there is a guy on the canadian east coast that has a company called something like fundy performance or fundy racing. he was building up N/A rx1 and apex motors puttin out 220hp.

J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
n/a nytro

phone up dustin at outlaw motor sports i asked him about this a couple of years ago he said you can pull like 180hp out of one but it cost around 6-7gs if i remember correctly. as well as having to run race fuel. give him a shout he very knowledgeble guy.

Premium Features