• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot 850 failure rate less than 2%

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
5% would mean you had all three issues. To my knowledge, having one doesn't mean you have the other (unless MTsled3 is on to something).

We don't know if Polaris is giving the true numbers, but they can't afford to lie. That would be major company suicide if that came out. But, that doesn't mean that Polaris doesn't interrupt the numbers in their favor - they are stats after all.

H
Oct 16, 2010
5% would mean you had all three issues. To my knowledge, having one doesn't mean you have the other (unless MTsled3 is on to something).

We don't know if Polaris is giving the true numbers, but they can't afford to lie. That would be major company suicide if that came out. But, that doesn't mean that Polaris doesn't interrupt the numbers in their favor - they are stats after all.

5% means you had a major engine issue, any one of the 3 is very bad. They’d lump them together as you said to interrupt the numbers if it were the case. I spent the first 10 years of my career doing analysis and you would definitely try to show the rosiest picture possible for something like this and this ain’t rosy no matter how you slice it. The numbers Polaris mentioned haven’t even factored in the failed top ends that we know has happened, add another percentage point likely.

For timbre, If you blow 15-20 belts you need to learn something about clutch alignment / motor mounts. You know, $100 fix vs $4k engine, 10min and back riding or a week at best. Oh ya, what happens when warranty repairs exceed MSRP?

Last edited:

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Bottom line is for a company that is putting out failure rate numbers is telling me one thing is that there is too many issues and it is defintely a serious problem ! no question about it !
Some people will get upset, some people will call u a brand basher ! In the end ride what u love !

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the 2020 850 will be a much better engine. I bet the bearings won't be a problem. The cylinders might still be an issue but a 2,000 mile problem so, not an issue for most.
Also a Better map. Gonna be some happy riders next yr!

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I have a cousin or two deep on the inside. He told me 5% 1 month ago, so I believe this stuff from Polaris.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
yes 850 163''. i'll be snow checking a 2020 850 163'' and selling this one to a different cousin or a buddy.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I highly doubt Polaris is publishing true, accurate numbers.
I also highly doubt trolls are wasting their time and posting in the "poll" thread to boost failure rate numbers.
I bet the true number of failure rates is more in line with the poll results than Polaris's published numbers.
Hopefully Polaris's fixes are true fixes and not just bandaids like the driveshaft collar :face-icon-small-sad

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I highly doubt Polaris is publishing true, accurate numbers.
I also highly doubt trolls are wasting their time and posting in the "poll" thread to boost failure rate numbers.
I bet the true number of failure rates is more in line with the poll results than Polaris's published numbers.
Hopefully Polaris's fixes are true fixes and not just bandaids like the driveshaft collar :face-icon-small-sad

What brand of sled do you ride?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
To be fair, it could mean as low as 2.3%.

"fewer than 1%" = .1%
"Fewer than 2%" = 1.1%
"fewer than 2%" = 1.1%

Boom!! Haha.

Last edited:

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Polaris has stood behind my 850 100%. I did have a piston issue. It looked to me like there was maybe some debri in the airbox that went through the engine causing some light scoring in the pistons and some damage to the cylinder coating. They expedited parts and it was back up in about a week. This was over Christmas. I also had an issue with my clutch. When the taper was cut there was a sharp lip left on one side. Looked like it may hav been slightly crooked when the taper was cut. They sent out a new clutch right away. I never had to hook a rope to it yet and I’ve got around 800 miles on it now. They also called me shortly after the engine issue assuring me they will be standing behind this engine. They offered me an extra years warranty and a $718 Canadian Polaris online credit. I think this more than proves they are not hanging us out to dry with these sleds. I’ve had some disappointment with weak bottom end response but some minor clutching has remedied that.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Of coarse you add them up, they are all engine failures.

2% crank + 2% oil line + 1% bearing = 5% major engine failure rate.

That's is some seriously shady statistics. 1 sled could belong to the bearing and the oil line failure (we have people on the forum who have had all 3 on the same sled). That does not equal 5% overall failure. Its tempting to just add them up, but statistically you cannot do that and be accurate at all.

10k sleds, 1% failure is 100 sleds. Group A
10k sleds 2% failure is 200 sleds. Group B. It is entirely possible that all 100 sleds from group A are in Group B, or 0 from group A. Thus the maximum failure is 3% and the minimum is 2%.
10k sleds 2% failure is 200 sleds. Group C. It is entirely possible that all 200 sleds from group B are in group c, or 0 from group B. Thus the maximum failure is 5% and the minimum is 2%.

I would bet the overall failure is probably somewhere around 2.75%. Since everyone I know who has bearing failure ended up with oil line failure later as well. Those sleds don't count as 2 or 3 different sleds that failed, they were 1 sled that failed in multiple groups. That doesn't seem egregious when knowing just how failure prone 2 strokes are in general. (if you have owned 10 new 2 stroke sleds in your life, chances are you have seen a motor failure)
Further, if your cat or doo failed, did they give you $500 parts credit and an extra year of warranty while getting you back on the snow within 2 weeks? Kudos to Polaris for stepping up putting out numbers and backing their customers.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
How can any prove the numbers? They could say anything. If it is 10% do you think for one second they would publish that. No matter what the actual % is Polaris or Brp or Cat would down play it to a comfortable number to put eveyone at ease .

Noone knows what the data set is (warranty numbers, actual failures, repaired units, etc) but whatever they publish has to be true to a point. Legal is not going to let them knowingly publish false data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features