• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1990 indy 500 vacuum issue HELP!

D
Sep 16, 2009
Hi all just dug out the old 500 and it had a few cracked fuel / vaccum lines....replaced all cracked tubing but now have fuel running out the vent lines to the handlebars....ideas....not sure if a check flow is bad or just that I connected wrong.....help! and thanks

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
A needle/seat assembly is stuck open or has a piece of junk stuck in it, or possibly the floats are sticking.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If its been sitting I'd pull the carbs, take the float bowls off and have a look. See if the floats are sticking on the pins, pull your jets and see that they aren't green or plugged up. Maybe flip the float lever a few times and see that the needle isn't stuck. Gas will turn into some nasty stuff if it sits long enough, if you see obvious varnish/goo in the float bowls you should strip the carbs and clean them real good. Carb cleaner wouldn't hurt. I've seen guys burn down engines because of plugged up jets.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The vent by the handlebars isnt hooked to the carbs tho it comes straight off the tank.

Actually, there are 2 lines... one is the vent line that comes from the tank like you say.

But on those early 90s sleds they tied the vent tubes off the carbs together with a t and then ran them up to vent under the bar bad.

You need to find which one is spewing the fuel. If its the one on the tank then its building pressure for some reason. If its the carb ones then as other say, the needle/seat is open or the tank vent is plugged and the tank is building pressure forcing fuel through the carbs and up the overflow vents.

sled_guy

Premium Features