• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running a carbed CRF450?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Got a full day on a 2015 CRF450R with a 2015 LT kit on Sunday. This was my first full day on snowbike. Absolutely loved it. Except on single sled width hard pack trail. That sucks!

Unfortunately I bought a new 300 2 stroke for woods riding last summer so buying a new 450 and timbersled isn't in the cards.

So I'm thinking an 05-08 CRF450R might be attainable.

Who is running these?

Thoughts? Must haves?

Had a buddy that used to have an 08 and said it worked great.

Wondering if a guy should do a carb heater?

I would plan on using a turbo sled style cone filter and thermostat. Other then that and maybe the carb heater I would think the bike would work well.

I have much better access to Honda parts so I would prefer to stick with a Honda.

Or am I better off saving for a 09-12 EFI Honda?

M
Jan 14, 2004
In a lot of ways a carbed bike is better than a fuelie. Tuned right they make more power outright. I wouldn't be scared off by the carb. As for a heater yes get one.

M5

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
You're better off buying a kit for that 300 you have! Go read The Ultimate 300 Build thread by mtn-doo. Read his original 300 build thread too.

I have 3 snowbikes, I like the 450crf the least. Mostly do to difficult cold starting and lack of e start. e start is a huge bonus on a snowbike.

I had the crf450r and a 500exc initially. I made the 'mistake' of riding a ktm 300 with the shorter, narrower SX track at a demo day, rode it for about 10 minutes, rode back up to the guy demoing and said 'I need to get one of these'. It's that much better. That said, you may have better, deeper snow where you are, and need the LT. The 2015 LT is different/better, so that may help.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I have a 07 crf that is carbed,runs awesome with a ST kit.do not have a carb heater but live in the warmer maritime snow pack of the sierras which currently are lacking snow.

I would not hesitate on picking 1 up.If i blow up my current moter think i will retro frame for a cr 500 moter as the cost would be about the same to rebuild the 4t

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
just remember to use reducer fittings. think i used 3/8 heater line to wrap around the carb. it works good. also built rad blocks for cold days.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't like the kick start either but I wouldn't think a crf450x would work very well?

I liked the close ratio tranny, fast revving and stiff forks. Unless you can put a lighter flywheel on, change the tranny gears and swap the forks on the X?

I would like to ride a 2 stroke Timbersled. Faster revs would be nice.

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't like the kick start either but I wouldn't think a crf450x would work very well?

I liked the close ratio tranny, fast revving and stiff forks. Unless you can put a lighter flywheel on, change the tranny gears and swap the forks on the X?

I would like to ride a 2 stroke Timbersled. Faster revs would be nice.

stay with your crf. i like the close ratio tranny way better.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Looks like a blast

I don't have CRF right now.

I borrowed my bosses 15 CRF450R.

I actually have a Sherco 300 2 stroke for riding dirt. Love that bike in the mountains. Not sure how it work as a snow bike.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Anyone running the LT on a carbed 450?

Yep, my buddy runs one on a 05 CRF450R and it works well. I would pick the CRF over the other carbed offerings as well since you can get a trailtech stator to run grip heaters, light, gps, etc...

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
I have a CRF 450 crate motor for sale that came out of my 2007 dirt bike if anybody is interested... I would take 500 plus shipping, still has compression but could use a fresh piston... you can text me if you like 208-720-2337 thanks chaz

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
Hi guys! I've been doing this since 2008 on my 2008 CRF450R. The only times I've had my carb freeze was when I didn't put HEET in my gas (can obtain from any autozone or even walmart).

Just this season, after all these years, I got lazy and didn't mix the HEET into some of my gas and boom.... frozen carb if I let it sit for more than 5 minutes while talking to folks.

So do you need a carb heater? Not really but it would be nice. I've found, by sheer luck, that just letting your bike run with the choke on (even though the throttle won't move) for about 5 minutes, it'll eventually free up. I was pretty relieved to figure that out the first time it happened believe me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq_Yd2D0iTA

Last edited:
R
Feb 7, 2020
I know I’m late to the party but was thinking of getting a timber sled for my 05 crf450r but how do you get them to start in the cold mine will barely jump start at 35-40 degrees

Premium Features