• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Good and Bad

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
I'm looking at purchasing an 08 800 XP with a 154 track and about 500 miles. What are some problems people are experiencing with this sled? Is this going to be a reliable sled for years to come? It's stock except for some vents and a can. I've been a polaris guy and I'm looking to cross over and don't know too much about the Doos.

Last edited:
Y
Nov 11, 2008
Calgary
As long as all the updates have been performed (drive shaft, ecu flash, oil tank etc.), it will be a reliable sled. My '08 has been relatively trouble free and I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market. Although I am interested in the rear suspension geometry changes of the 2010's. DooTalk is another great forum to educate yourself to the various hiccups of the all the models. Check the FAQ section out.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
this sled rocks!! like missile said ^^ make sure the updates/warranty stuff has been done. ive had my driveshaft done. didnt want the ecu reflash - hasnt ever been a problem for me, plus i didnt want to lose the RPM ability to read by 50's. haven t had much trouble with the oil resevoir either, but prolly oughta get it changed anyway.
i love the way this sled works in the mtns. and have been very happy with it!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The only thing not addressed by updates is the primary clutch.....get a '09 spring cap/bushing installed....they wear very quick and once the bushing wears, then the bushing in the movable sheave, rollers etc....all wear rapidly.
Once they are "right" they last a long time.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
sorry, i did forget to mention the clutching. you'll probably want to put some work into it. look into dynamo joe's or winter brew's - both on these forums. i personally went with joe's kit, it has been great.

S
Aug 31, 2009
I put in the DJ kit; made a big improvement with oversized rollers; added vforce reeds, slp can, removed sway bars and set suspension. This sled is much different compared to when I bought it. Just waiting for RKT head and pistons.. etc to arrive.

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
Ive blown 12 belts on my 08 800X 154. and the motor. lots of peple like to pretend there are not any problems with these sleds. Its still the best sled out there right now just is not the most reliable.

I have a 08 154 X model. I think I have about 1800 miles now and I am on my second belt but also my second clutch. Almost all my miles are as hard as they can possibly be and I noticed my motor was feeling a little soft so I will be putting a new top end in it before this season.

Good:
Light, climbs great, love the chassis, dosen't eat belts

Bad:
Primary clutch blew around 1400 miles, not the best sled in "set up" snow

S
Nov 14, 2008
calgary
I've had an 08 and 09 154 x, both sleds were great. My o8 went through a few blets, if you have quick clickers and arnt afraid to experement with the clutch, you'll be in love.
Take off the sway bars, crank the suspension, have fun. As said above, if it's an 08 make sure the recalls are done, even the hearted grips which suck.

More of the 08's had problems than the 09's did. My 08 146 had it's share of issues. Lots of blown belts, worn out clutch parts after only 600 miles, broken motor mount, handwarmer failure, blown front shock, loose y-pipe bolts, fuel guage and odometer issues, secondary adjuster randomly coming loose, snow injestion through the intake filter, loose hood, and maybe more that I can't think of right now. Most of the 08's didn't have these issues. Some had a few. A few (mine included) had a bunch of them.

But, most of my problems were eventually fixed; the majority by my dealer, some by me. Bad clutch alignment from the factory was a big issue on my sled. Combine that with worn out clutch parts and a broken motor mount and it was painful trying to get belts to last more than a couple hundred miles. Now that I fixed the alignment, motor mount, and worn out cutch, it doesn't seem to be eating belts any more.

And, even with all the issues I had with my sled, it still puts a smile on my face whenever I fire it up.

Yes, it is that good.

If you do end up buying it, make sure it has the updates done. Make sure the clutches are aligned. And, since the clutching from the factory was sketchy at best in 08, I'd recommend some clutch tuning. If you aren't comfortable tuning clutches yourself, there are a few good kits on the market that I hear are well worth the money. Other than that, I'd look at adding a tower brace, or swapping in the 09 secondary tower.

This may sound like a lot to deal with. But, like I said before, not all 08's had problems. And the problems you may run into are fixable. Once you get any bugs worked out, you'll love the sled.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
My 08 had some small issues:
Fuel sensor went bad-warranty fix
Clutching was a hair off-dealer fix
DPM and knock sensor went bad-warranty but it took 5 months:mad:
Oil bottle leaked, replaced and air bubble harmed motor-BRP bought a new motor for me

The only large issue:
Doesn't hold up well to large boulders at high speeds-Insurance replaced with an 09

My 09 X had small issues:
Fuel sensor went bad-warranty fix
Clutch was out of alignment-warranty fix
Detonation-found out that I was running lower octane and oxygenated fuel (wasn't posted at the station)-changed stations
running boards too soft for my big azz-installed better boards

I love this sled, it does everything that I desire and more.

Premium Features