• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me decide please, im torn, ROOKIE new sledder here

I am buying my first sled, im torn between a 600 RMK 144 and a 155. both 2" lug+

I am 5'6" 140 lbs, I am afraid the 144 is too short and 155 is too long.
i want to do lots of train and mtn riding.

im worried the 155 would be hard for me to wrestle around being that im on the small lighter side.

help, i want to purchase soon.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I am buying my first sled, im torn between a 600 RMK 144 and a 155. both 2" lug+

im worried the 155 would be hard for me to wrestle around being that im on the small lighter side.

Sunnyvale?..... I used to be the sales manager of Honda Peninsula Ducati---now known as The Motor Cafe...

For Tahoe riding, 155". We live in Truckee and own 2 155" and 4 163" (4 Pro Rides, and 2 Axys Pros)

Val is 5' 2", 115 lbs and rides an Axys 163 3". Before that she rode a Pro Ride 163"--even though she had a 155" at her disposal.

You will have no problem hustling a 155"

Go with the 155" 2.4" paddle. Better coil over suspension, better track, better length for Tahoe snow.

Are you looking at new or used? We have a 155" for sale and can also set you up with new sleds from our local dealer-- Polaris just announced a bunch of rebates.

Murph

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Additionally--- 800cc over the 600cc.

Riding in Tahoe starts around 6000' and goes up from there. Our snow is heavy and requires more power to churn through.

Val has always owned 800cc. She has ridden 600cc but will not give up power of 800cc.

Feel free to reach out.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I can't comment on your area and what would best suit that.
However, I too vote for the 155. The 600 turns it no problem, and the handling will not be an issue.
If you're in the 2013-16 range, the 155 is way more than just track length. Rear suspension, running boards, seat, to name a few differences. Plus according the spec page, the 155 is actually lighter than the 144.........450/435 = 15# lighter.

Last edited:
Additionally--- 800cc over the 600cc.

Riding in Tahoe starts around 6000' and goes up from there. Our snow is heavy and requires more power to churn through.

Val has always owned 800cc. She has ridden 600cc but will not give up power of 800cc.

Feel free to reach out.

thanks murph, what is your contact info? 408 718 1756 santanderj at yahoo dot com here, im looking to buy soon, i really want to stick with a 600 lighter bike, i dont need much power, and i could use the $$savings.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
thanks murph, what is your contact info? 408 718 1756 santanderj at yahoo dot com here, im looking to buy soon, i really want to stick with a 600 lighter bike, i dont need much power, and i could use the $$savings.
The 600 weighs more than the 800. Get the 800. If you don't, you'll always be wishing you had and then resale on a 600 is horrible.

The 600 weighs more than the 800. Get the 800. If you don't, you'll always be wishing you had and then resale on a 600 is horrible.

Murph, what is your name?
jason here, good to meet a local, Truck is local!
I am a total rookie, i have lots to learn.
Now that you pushed me to an 800 and 155, i came across a new ski-doo 800 etec 154 for $8990 and i think i want it.
the price is unbeatable.
it is the price right now that is helping me decide. Can i tag along yall? or tell me where to go? goodplaces to learn?

thanks jason

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership

If you were talking motorcycles, I would steer you towards 600cc ALL DAY LONG. On sleds, different story.

At altitude, you will want 800cc-- plus 800 parts are more common and resale is much better.

Feel free to reach out anytime, We typically ride sleds during the day (when it isn't raining!!) and work on sleds at night.

Murph
831// 464 345eight (cell phone)

Thanks Murph, your highly influential, im looking at a 800 154 now, Unfortunately its a new ski-doo, 8990 clearance, couldnt be beat.
Funny you mentioned motorcafe, i bought a honda rancher there few years ago. i go there alot to look at toys.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Thanks Murph, your highly influential, im looking at a 800 154 now, Unfortunately its a new ski-doo, 8990 clearance, couldnt be beat.
Funny you mentioned motorcafe, i bought a honda rancher there few years ago. i go there alot to look at toys.

If you want to mountain ride, and want a steep learning curve, stay with Polaris.

New Axys on CL for $9999 Dennis Dillon in Idaho. That Ski-Doo @ $8990 is probably a Ptek motor (with carbs!!)

I have a great relationship with the dealer in Auburn.

Give me a call before you buy a Ski- Doo. Going forward, I couldn't help you as much with one of those-- I'm not nearly as familiar with them, have zero spare parts for them, and they have a TOTALLY different riding style.

L
Mar 1, 2016
Northen Sweden
The doo might be cheaper but the axys and pro rides handling is on another level. I have a 13 pro rmk 600 but I have also been driving some doo xms and the pro I can throw around all day and it goes where I want it to but with the xm was unpredictable and much heavier to throw around.

I ride at 1500 feet and the 600 goes anywhere the 800 goes but I don't know how it is at your altitude

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You would not be sorry with the 155 or even a 163 like Murph said.

The Polaris is easier to find service for and is a reliable machine after 2013 in the Pro Ride Chassis.... with 14/15 being the best.

Murph... don't you have one in your fleet you can sell him??

D
Feb 7, 2017
I'm a rookie also

Sunnyvale?..... I used to be the sales manager of Honda Peninsula Ducati---now known as The Motor Cafe...

For Tahoe riding, 155". We live in Truckee and own 2 155" and 4 163" (4 Pro Rides, and 2 Axys Pros)

Val is 5' 2", 115 lbs and rides an Axys 163 3". Before that she rode a Pro Ride 163"--even though she had a 155" at her disposal.

You will have no problem hustling a 155"

Go with the 155" 2.4" paddle. Better coil over suspension, better track, better length for Tahoe snow.

Are you looking at new or used? We have a 155" for sale and can also set you up with new sleds from our local dealer-- Polaris just announced a bunch of rebates.

Murph

Hey jrubicon funny my wife and I are looking for two sleds right now and don't know what to get I've been in contact with a guy up in Reno at a shop he's been sending me pic and prices we want to get em soon also we were up at Iron mountain snow park last weekend it's up on highway 88 about 20 minutes below Kirkwood there were about 10 people up there on sleds we had a 50cc quad for the grand son and just played around and all the sleds took off were gone for hours my wife said go get us a cpl of snowmobiles she didn't have to ask twice LOL ! That may be a spot for you to go check out a guy up there said he thinks you can ride that trail all the way over to hwy 50 he said immigrant pas immigrant Pass not sure though I haven't looked at a map but that would be way Kool

finally had some time to log on here. am already talking to few folks around here, its awesome. i was soo close to buy a 800 etec 154 skidoo, 9400 otd new is a insane deal, i turned down the financing. but from research the rmk ws a better mtn sled. Also, the skidoo at 154 for some reason looks way longer and out of proportion than the 155 rmk. anyhow,
i just decided on a 2016 rmk new. having it shipped here. am still researching more places to go where i can spend a weekend. i wana get the most out of the season. pls keep my number folks, if i can tag along yall, id appreciate it, i am a rookie however 4087181756 jason sunnyvale, ca

durtydawgdave, where yall from?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
155 all the way, I started on a 580 arctic cat powder special with a 136 and was fun but you really had to work it to get regoing again after stopping wick the throttle and track would dig down and most time that's far you went, bought a 98 summit 670 and never rode the 136 I installed a 153 2.25 cat challenger track and WOW. everytime youd stop get off the sled and youd sink to your waist in snow and sled still sat uptop get back on the sled and would take right off no effort, right then and there I decided I`d never have another sled smaller than a 151 so, bought an 04 Rev never rode the stock 144 put a 159 on and HUGE difference. later went to another challenger 162 2.5 track and people would ride it and be impressed on how it stayed on top of the snow and still turned and manueved very well.

I have a 12 Pro rmk 163 with all 14 motor swap and I don't feel any difference in the the 150+ish track to the 163 if you don't want to get stuck as often 155 or + only way to go.
600 should be find with it but you`ll eventualy with you had an 800 under the Hood.

I have another rev with an older 617 and it turns a 159 pretty well and really never gets stuck.

Good, Luck. Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
finally had some time to log on here. am already talking to few folks around here, its awesome. i was soo close to buy a 800 etec 154 skidoo, 9400 otd new is a insane deal, i turned down the financing. but from research the rmk ws a better mtn sled. Also, the skidoo at 154 for some reason looks way longer and out of proportion than the 155 rmk. anyhow,
i just decided on a 2016 rmk new. having it shipped here. am still researching more places to go where i can spend a weekend. i wana get the most out of the season. pls keep my number folks, if i can tag along yall, id appreciate it, i am a rookie however 4087181756 jason sunnyvale, ca

durtydawgdave, where yall from?

I like the Skidoo`s in the Revs and the XM, (XP sucks), Yes the Doo looks longer cause they have everything like rider position and all the body and engine so far forward makes for a very long tunnel.

Wildcard

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
California snow is a lot different than what most of these guys are used to that are further east towards the Rockies.

It's wet, heavy, and generally just makes you work your *** off to ride it. It's why it's called Sierra cement.

I've rode Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. That dry powder is so much easier to ride in and I've found you can actually get away with a shorter track out there. Here in California, I've found the 155" range is about perfect. 144's trench like a mother here, where opposite the big 16X tracks are harder to swing around because that heavy snow doesn't want to move laterally on each side of the track and wants to push the sled strait. 155" is kind of the happy medium that seems to work well. Also, the Assault's competition track is actually a pretty good track for CA. Those big heavy paddles work well in our heavy wet snow. We just don't have much of that dry fluffy stuff that the comp track doesn't like.

Last edited:
Premium Features