• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MH ST broken rear suspension arm

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Has anyone ever had a failure in this part? I can't quite imagine what kind of forces cause a break in this spot, but I'm not a very aggressive rider and I don't do any jumps or anything. The Timbersled site shows $645 for a new one... yikes.

20150207_133729.jpg 20150207_133815.jpg 20150207_133847.jpg

NorWest Suspension

Lifetime Membership
I would think that would be covered under the Timbersled warranty.

Timbersled Products, Inc. provides a Lifetime Warranty on the Mountain Horse Sub-Frame and Suspension Arms. All other products of its own manufacture are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. Replacement and / or repair warranty is valid only if all terms and conditions are met, and is at the sole discretion of Timbersled.

1. Timbersled Products inc. requires notification prior to replacement of any part under this warranty.
  2. Product has not been installed on a modified chassis that is not supported.
    Please call us if you are installing on a modified sled.
  3. Replacement and / or repaired parts will be supplied only upon receipt of defective parts.
  4. Timbersled Products inc. shall have no obligation under this warranty if:
    • Buyer fails to notify Timbersled Products inc. of any possible defect.
    • Product is improperly installed.
    • Product is installed on an unsupported sled or motorcycle.
    • Product is used in an application or purpose other than its original intent.
    • Buyer continues to use product after product malfunction.
    • Kit is not registered (where applicable).
The obligation of Timbersled Products, Inc. is limited to replacement and / or repair of defective products only for the period of time as stated above. Timbersled Products, Inc. has no other obligation or liability for any other injury or damage resulting or arising from any use of its products.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Last ride of the season last year mine broke in the exact same spot. I ended up buying an updated rear arm to replace it. I don't jump either but mine was rusty on the inside. I could have done a better job greasing that spot I think.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Just FYI for everybody... Timbersled is now saying that their lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner, even though their stated warranty on this page makes no mention of that.

I'm pretty disappointed right now, and not sure what I'm going to do next. It didn't help to be told that "the other time we saw this happen, the guy was just hammering his kit and jumping and bottoming out all the time". Are you kidding? That is absolutely not the case with me. I'm a middle-aged guy whose racing and jumping days are at least 20 years behind in my past. I'm very careful with all my stuff and never hammer anything. I ride trails and explore places in the mountains where I always wanted to go on a dirt bike or snowmobile but couldn't. The guy I bought it from rode it one time, then sold it to me a little over two years ago. I considered it a new kit and never thought it would affect the warranty.

I know, I sound like a whiner and should just suck it up and pay the bill. :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
We broke one, but we were riding triple on the bike bottom out solid on the trail out after a major breakdown scenerio on two other sleds.

The 2015 rear arm is simpler and I bet is a hair cheaper. I know we didnt pay nearly that much after our incident.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
can't you just weld it or have it welded? put some extra gusseting material on there (wrap or sleeve)?

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
can't you just weld it or have it welded? put some extra gusseting material on there (wrap or sleeve)?

Yeah, that might be what I'll end up doing. The new and improved version sure would be nice though. They did offer me a discount on a new one, so I'm still thinking about it. I'm just frustrated right now, but I need to get over it.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yeah, that might be what I'll end up doing. The new and improved version sure would be nice though. They did offer me a discount on a new one, so I'm still thinking about it. I'm just frustrated right now, but I need to get over it.

I like the '14 rear arm better. Its alot more coupled to start with. I noticed the '15 seemed to wheelie alot more as I recieved it. fun for boonin' but it caused a few out of control hillclimb situations, since downgrading to a 14 I'm alot happier, just my 2 cents. I would weld it, spray bomb it and ride! good luck!

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Well, sorry guys, but I guess you have me to thank for this... Timbersled has updated the wording on their warranty:

Old (as of yesterday):

"Timbersled Products, Inc. provides a Lifetime Warranty on the Mountain Horse Sub-Frame and Suspension Arms. All other products of its own manufacture are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. Replacement and / or repair warranty is valid only if all terms and conditions are met, and is at the sole discretion of Timbersled."​

New this morning:

"Timbersled Products Inc. warrants all products to be free of manufacturer defects for the period of one (1) year to the original purchaser. Timbersled Products Inc. offers a Lifetime Warranty on the welded main frame and welded suspension arms against defects on materials and workmanship to the original purchaser. All warranty terms, both stated and implied, are subject to Timbersleds’ discretion and final approval. Non-warrantable consumable items include (but not limited to) hyfax, bearings, bushings, wheels, ball joints, reducers, and all other wear items. Timbersled reserves the right to refuse warranty coverage or service at any time."​

I guess I can't blame them.

Last edited:

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Timbersled is going to take a look at my suspension arm and decide whether to warranty it based on what it looks like. I guess that's all I can ask for at this point. But from this point forward, they will no longer be offering any warranty (lifetime or 1-year) once the kit changes hands. I went ahead and ordered the newer, stouter version of the rear suspension arm and will send in my old one after I switch it out.

I sure don't want to come across as a Timbersled basher -- they make a great product and stand behind it to a reasonable extent. Making the change on their warranty to exclude folks who buy used kits doesn't help me at all, but it probably makes sense and it will help them stay in business.

Last edited:
Premium Features